Let's try Military Rations!

I plan to spend some time in the backwoods of TN next week, and in addition to my usual supplies I thought it might be interesting to include a few MRE's for those times when real cooking isn't an option or I want to conserve water.

So I bought a case of 12. The reviews are rather mixed but here goes nothing! I'm a pretty big food geek but I like to keep an open mind . . . . let's see how these taste!

Last time I had an MRE it was great. Pasta with some sides that I can't remember. Is that a legit MRE? Mine was in a foil packet and you crunched it in half to cook it, my friend had it left over after he served.

These particular MRE's come from MREStar, a company that also produces the real deal for the US Government. They're not completely identical to the ones given to the troops but very, very close.

Comes packaged in a very tough and dense waterproof plastic pouch. Supposedly it can be "torn" but you WILL need scissors or a knife.

This particular version is a vegetarian entree, cheese tortellini w marinara sauce!

Nice man enjoy good luck out there, don't let Charlie get you

So upon opening her up there's quite a bit, more than I expected!

We have our entree (280 calories), a nut/raisin mix (350 cal), dry fruit (300 cal), lemonade powder (90 cal) and a desert of sugar cookies (280 cal).

I find it interesting that the main is only 280 calories, while the sides pack well over 1000! All and all we have a good 80% of my daily allowance for salt and plenty of fat, but also a decent amount of fiber, vitamins, etc.

Fairly balanced all and all, and seems like a good match for vigorous activity. Surprisingly light also for something that doesn't need to be rehydrated.

Also included is coffee, creamer, salt, sugar, pepper, a napkin, several wet wipes, and of course a spoon!

You will never be Steve you son of a bitch.

Let's start with the side dishes, since that's where the majority of the calories live!

Pretty straightforward really. They all look pretty tasty. The only thing worth mentioning is that when I opened the cookies it smelled HORRIBLE, like burnt plastic. Let's hope they taste better than they smell, heh.

So let's see how they taste.

I started with the raisins and nuts. Pretty decent variety . . . . peanuts, almonds, sunflower seeds, raisins. Certainly smells good.

AND tastes good! I expected this to be very salty but instead there was pretty much NO salt at all! Heck if there weren't so much salt in the main I would add a bit. Very tasty!

Then the dried fruit. Again, I expected this to be very sweet but was pleasantly surprised . . . no sugar taste at all. Sure enough the only ingredients listed are banana, papaya, and pineapple. The banana was crunchy and the other two quite soft making for a nice texture. Really tasty!

Then the cookies. OH GOD THEY TASTE AS BAD AS THEY SMELL. LIKE BURNT PLASTIC.

I spit out the first bite and rinsed out my mouth. Seriously, what the FUCK?! They were doing so well, and they fuck up COOKIES?!

Ugh. Seriously that was horrid.

To cleanse my palate lets move to the "lemonade beverage power.

I expected some bright fluorescent yellow but it looks pretty normal?

Don't forget to take your "tooth"brush

As instructed mixed with 12oz cold water. Took a minute or so to get it all dissolved, I imagine it would work better in a container you can shake.

Once again VERY different than I expected! I thought it would be very tart, sweet, and artificial but its really quite subtle. Almost like watered down lemonade. Pleasant and refreshing, especially after that nasty cookie. Definitely something I would love to add to my canteen.

What else are you bringing innawoods?

I'm afraid to ask what you mean by that.

Who is Steve?

CHARLIE DON'T SURF

Not "legit" as in not Military issue. Those are illegal to sell. Pretty much the same thing though.

Make sure to get it out onto a tray.

My typical weekend hike pack.

Consists of my tent and sleeping gear (the tent is milsurp and fairly comfortable, if a bit heavy at 6lbs), ground tarp, and sleeping bag.

Water (I never like to gamble there). About 10lbs worth.

Food and fire. About 2lbs of dried foods (oatmeal, trail mix, dried eggs, pasta, chili, etc). A few lighters, fire starters, tinder. A simple tin mess kit, and an esbit stove.

And then the normal accessories. A good multitool, a hunting knife, some paracord, small first aid kit, DEET, etc.

>Those are illegal to sell

doesn't stop vendors at gun shows from flinging cases of milsurp MREs at me.

Now comes the entree. I'm a bit apprehensive . . . everything up to this point was pretty standard.

So here is our entree and FRE ("Flameless ration heater") Very different than anything I've eaten before to say the least!

Hell, I'm a Britbong and have a case of real MREs.

They're really good shit.

Don't use the flameless ration heater they suck at uniformly heating your meal.

Stick it in a pot of boiling water for a while instead, cooks better that way.

I'm on the edge of my seat over here dang

The actual food is in a stiff pouch that feels like a cold brick. The instructions on the FRE are quite straightforward if not redundant. I'm surprised by how little water is needed. About an ounce it looks like.

I'm especially amused by how they tell you to prop it on a "rock or something", inclined. It almost seems like they're hinting the "something" should be the body of your enemy.

'Add an ounce of liquid, maybe water or something, to the pouch before heating'

The FRE says to "Tear Here", and again that's BS. Nothing in this entire thing can be torn or opened without a knife. Seriously.

As instructed I put the entree pouch in, added water, and folded. Almost immediately it began to hiss and sizzle and become hot!

This brings us up to the current time. I "stuffed" it into the carton and propped it against the wall (That's my "something").

It says 10-15 minutes so about 10 to go, and here's hoping its tasty!

oh god your thumb

I'm sure it does, but that would defeat the point!

Heh, so am I. Hopefully this won't lead to be being on the edge of the toilet seat all night.

That's a far more terrifying "or something". Maybe the reason for the wet naps?

if you exercise so much how are you so fat??
SMFH Stay out innawoods longer

>Edge of the toilet seat.

Nigga that's the opposite of what MREs are for. Eat enough MREs you'll not be shitting for days.

wait at least 20-25 minutes user, it will be nice and hot all the way through

Jerking off daily for 15 years will do this to you

Most of the end of that thumb was cut off in an accident a few years back. Looks pretty good considering.

I stay out as much as I can. And why do you think I'm fat?

You have chubby sausage fingers, fat hands and a chunky wrist.

>why do you think i'm fat

Oh boy here we go.

Several people have commented about uneven heating. On taking the pouch out the bottom was definitely a bit hotter than the top but nothing major. Seems to be a good serving temp.

In the bowl it looks like tortellini and sauce. Smells decent.

Taste wise I would say its about like canned Chef Boyardi . . . . with a bit more salt and sugar.

Its nothing great, but certainly not bad either. For a hot meal that requires pretty much 0 prep I'll give it a passing grade. After trudging a few miles in bad weather and making camp I'd be really happy to eat one of these before crashing.

According to reviews online this is one of the poorer entrees. If that's the case then I see no reason not to throw a couple in my pack! For the size and weight there's a hell of a lot to like in an MRE!

I could definitely see that happening. This thing is pretty damned dense!

Really?

Afterthoughts:

Given they include seasoning packets I would have liked it if they laid off on the salt and sugar for the entree. Let me add them to taste.

A hot sauce would have been nice, Also a packet or two of Parmesan cheese like you get with takeout pizza. Those would have made the entree a lot better.

>Rock or something

Loving these instructions.

Seriously!