Yeahhh...

Yeahhh, so I just moved into an apartment with a full sized fridge but a tiny OLD electric oven with 2 small hobs and 1 large one; poor heat control.

I'm looking for some tasty budget-smart recipes that aren't beans and rice that I can make; something not boring either. Looking for inspiration.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=HrtpoyY_rak
allrecipes.com/recipe/24202/shepherds-pie-vi/
noshon.it/recipes/french-beef-stew-boeuf-bourguignon/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

depending on budget, coq au vin.

chicken and wine

youtube.com/watch?v=HrtpoyY_rak

yes, YES!! coq au vin!!!!!

get a slow cooker. aka "crockpot". you dump in potatoes, onions, carrots, celery, whatever else, along with chicken, beef, whatever, and season it. let that cook all day long and when you come home, WA LA: dinner is served

coq au vin blanc is good too.

honestly, the best french food with wine is slow-cooked beef with a red wine sauce. not sure what they call it. onions, carrots, beef, red wine, a little sugar, a little water, a little flour. let slow cook all day.

allrecipes.com/recipe/24202/shepherds-pie-vi/

noshon.it/recipes/french-beef-stew-boeuf-bourguignon/
?

oh my god, yes, that is it. simple and delightful.

i spend a lot of time looking for recipes that i can make ahead of time and can customize to my budget/schedule. i love slow cooker and dutch oven recipes.

dutch oven seems irrelevent these days. why not just use a crockpot. dont have to worry about the apartment burning down.

i like fond from dutch ovens. building flavors is easier in one. deglazing with wine and simmering for 50 minutes... sexy sexy. fond is flavor.

Stews like coq au vin are definitely an option. I really don't want to crockpot cook. I've got ceramic dishes and too much time on my hands for that crap.

Anyone know any good pork recipes? There isn't much beef in this town that isn't ground, little poultry, but chops are everywhere. Don't mention lamb or aquatic animals. Frozen tilapia, farmed salmon, or scallops. I haven't even seen shrimp.

When it comes to ingredients I'm kinda stuck with rustic mid-western.

carnitas perhaps?

oh. pork chops in apples sauce. i guess i just wasn't paying attention. sorry.
it's got a nice flavor. can be augmented with other textures and flavors. goes well with many cuts of pork.

Not a bad idea. You just gave me another one. Huevos rancheros (sp)?

definitely. i screw up the ranchero sauce every time i try it, but good call if you get it right.

Eh kinda boring? I wonder if I can do a variation of jaeger-schnitzel but with fried apples instead of mushrooms. Or sew a cutlet shut with butcher's twine after stuffing it with apples and walnuts.

that actually sounds good. if budget is an issue, you could buy a whole pork loin and make the cutlets from that. would last a good while if you portioned and froze it ahead of time as well.
i do just that.

Eh I considered it a breakfast and thus a lazy dish. I always made it like shakshouka but with different ingredients and spices.

This is what I do with pork loin occasionally. I'm still working on it and experimenting with fruits like cranberry and apple and things. I know this one looks a little dry. It was the very end after everyone had been served and it was sitting for a while.

it's definitely breakfast food for me, but you seem to have a more eclectic food background. i had to google shakshouka. it looks damned delicious.

thanks for the thread btw. it's been a pleasure chatting with you over a beer. i have a feeling assholes will show up soon and start talking nonsense and being rude.

stfu retard

lel

That's one of the bad things about stuffing pork or chicken; you should wait until the stuffing has reached the safe temp for the animal and by then the animal is a little past where it needs to be. Pork doesn't need to be obliterated like the old days but by the time the stuffing is done...

Looks cool as hell though doesn't it? Add things that will add flavor directly to the pork; and fat if you're working with the paler end of the loin.

I enjoy exploring food and did it for a living for a while. But it's gotten to the point where I'm so burnt out that I don't remember most of the shit I learned anyways. It's hard to retain a million things that aren't in English while you're stressed; and if you don't use it you lose it.

Thanks for all the ideas and help everyone. Happy eatings.

I got pissed off at my electric range in this apartment. Cooks like shit and a bitch to clean. Ended up buying an induction hot plate . Best decision I ever made.

As a bonus the stove has an outlet near the dials so I just sit it between the burners.

>enjoy ur fiar

Yeah, if for whatever reason I went full retard and turned them on.

what is your rent? before gas and electric, of course. im guessing 1200 usd / month

also guessing you hold a bachelors of art degree.

also guessing you work in a totally unrelated field for 25k / year

>1200 USD rent
>terrible wiring
If it is he needs to move the fuck out of where he's at.

Also, 25,000 and spending 1,200 a month on rent is fuckstupid unless you're with a spouse.

He lives with room mates so it doesn't seem as destitute as it sounds.

everybody knows thats a stupid situation. im waiting for the person to admit it.

Don't worry about my rent. I make plenty of money and have 2 Ferraris.

I'm a different user. Not OP. I was just suggesting he buy an induction hot plate is all.