How often do you intentionally mispronounce words to seem like a regular normal guy?

How often do you intentionally mispronounce words to seem like a regular normal guy?

Conversely, how often do you intentionally use terms like "courgette" or "bleu cheese" or saying "coriander" instead of "cilantro", in order to seem more fancy?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/code-switching
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/hypercorrection
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

No, I use those terms because they're normal because I'm english.

There's no reason to call it bleu cheese though. Plenty of non-french regions have been producing blue cheese for centuries.

>How often do you intentionally mispronounce words to seem like a regular normal guy?
I don't
>how often do you intentionally use terms like "courgette" or "bleu cheese" or saying "coriander" instead of "cilantro"
Regional differences

Only do it to upset people I know.

Coriander is the name of the leafy part
Cilantro is the stalky part

Americans like to be different and call the whole thing Cilantro. I think it has to do the Mexicans because in Spanish the whole thing is called cilantro and Americans just copied that

Same with Entreé
In America, it means main course. Everywhere else, it means dish before the main course

>entrée means main course in america
Are you fucking bullshitting me ? Entrée ça veut dire ce que ça veut dire putain.

I've heard entree used both ways in America. We're weird about adapting foreign words into our vocabulary.

Je mange du beurre ohohohohon

Yeah I know I couldn't believe it while I was there. It's not as if it looks like a completely different word to entry.
Do not know how they could misinterpret it

>Coriander is the name of the leafy part

Not around here. Coriander is the seeds, anything else would be coriander leaves or fresh coriander.

>go to Europe
>order food
>first course comes first
>it's small
>rant angrily at no one in particular
>eat it anyway, pay, and leave abruptly
>come back to America and complain about how the food is a ripoff in Europe
>start calling everything "entree" anyway to sound sophisticated
That's how it happened btw

I live in the southeast. If I pronounce any foreign word correctly I suddenly get a bunch of idiots correcting me/being confused.

And no its not like I am being super specific and stuck up, it's saying "quiche" instead of "kwitch"

Don't get the "blur cheese" thing. Is it just an attempt to sound fancy?

Do Americans call Gorgonzola blu cheese?

No we call it cheddar

Just tell them "I've heard it both ways"

Linguist here.

You may be describing either en.wikipedia.org/wiki/code-switching
or
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/hypercorrection

Your picture is an example of hypercorrection, but switching vocabulary based on context and company is code-switching.

I picked up English as a supplementary language. I'm in an odd position as I grew up learning Commonwealth English but currently live in the US so find myself unconsciously code-switching between various terms common to both NA and Cw varieties of English.

For the examples you gave, I always say 'zucchini' rather than 'courgette' (unless speaking French) or 'marrow,' use 'blue cheese' when discussing it in print and say 'coriander-leaf,' 'fresh coriander' and 'cilantro' about equally when referring to the plant and 'coriander seed' when referring to the spice (never just 'coriander' on its own).

For ones you didn't give, I pronounce 'shallot' with a schwa and rhyme the second syllable with 'bot. I use 'aubergine' and 'eggplant' about equally.

same here

all duh time mang

idiot. IDIOT.

no

>Same with Entreé
>In America, it means main course. Everywhere else, it means dish before the main course

Wait is this real?

yes, it's true. Americans are crazy

I don't get that pic.

Unfortunately yes.
It's just a word that sounded fancy in french and dipshits started using it to refer to the main course because, again, faaaancy!
We call dishes before the entre "appetizers" because we're hicks.

is that how you use "attests"? that seems wrong

Why do americans think that 'coriander' or 'courgette' are fancy words

What the fuck

She's such a flyover she thinks Olive Garden is fancy.

Fuck that hurts
Also
>when you're french but some asshat is trying to explain some french expression to you, thinking that it's actually american or something
Yeah i know what's a rendez-vous thanks man

She's an 80 year old food columnist for a small town what do you expect her to write about?

Looks right to me.

it just seems backwards. attest basically means explains, right? so the warm welcome should explain the following not the other way around.

>attest (v): provide or serve as clear evidence of
Do today's youth not have dictionaries?

i did say basically.

"the steady following serves as clear evidence of the warm welcome" still seems backwards.

There is nothing wrong with that. The following proves that it received a warm welcome.

There's no ñ in `habanero` FYI.

>bleu cheese, coriander instead of cilantro
Bleu and blue are literally pronounced the same, and coriander/cilantro are just regionally different names and using the wrong one in a region that uses the other isn't fancy, it's stupid. Especially calling cilantro coriander in the US since coriander generally refers specifically to coriander seed.

>And no its not like I am being super specific and stuck up, it's saying "quiche" instead of "kwitch"
I live in the southeast and I've never heard anyone pronounce quiche incorrectly.

This.
We've done bizarre things to language here in order to adopt certain words from different languages. You could easily go to a restaurant and be told (or read) a description of a dish that includes words from 3 or 4 languages, some of which would be used improperly, like "entree".
Actually, our adoption of so many French words goes back to when France helped us win the war of Independence, and it became fashionable to use the French names and terms for things. Kind of the same reason why there's French words used in Britain (except that was because of William the Conqueror and his hordes of land seizing nobles, which is a very different tale than ours).

Don't be stupid, that's not how anything happened.

No, we call it Gorgonzola, and it's classified with all the other blue/bleu cheeses in the cheese case at the store.

reconsider your post perhaps 10 more seconds, friendo

That's NOT at all why we use that word. Goddamn, read a history book sometime.

That phrase is very poorly written, I agree.

I'm American and I had no fucking clue that I've been using it wrong for literally my entire life. I legitimately thought entre meant main course because that's what all the restaurants here call it.

WELL IT'S TOO LATE NOW ASSHOLE

But why would you call an Italian blue cheese by the French word for blue? That's bizarre

>Read a history book about misuse of french words in shitty american diners
Why don't you just enlighten us, oh wise one?

I was just explaining it for him man.

But basically she shouldn't write about anything.

That's why I separated the words blue and bleu in my response. In the "blue" cheese section, French bleu cheese is labeled "bleu", while other blue cheeses are labeled "blue". Most good stores realize the distinction. And all cheeses are under signage of their actual name - i.e. Gorgonzola, Camembert, Dorset Cheddar, Pt. Reyes Blue, etc.

Why don't you enlighten yourself, you dolt. I'm not here to teach a fucking class. There's entire books (and websites) dedicated to the history of language, and even the history of culinary language. Not to mention that even the most basic European History class will talk about how the Norman invasion changed the course of the English language. Go read a fucking book.

Is this the thread where we make fun of Americans for pronouncing foreign words differently than native speakers but allowing ESL people to develop their own English mispronunciations?

>Most good stores realize the distinction.

what?

I mispronounce things all the time in order to get what I'm actually asking for.

Halapeeno peppers, Rokefurt cheese, Sazeekee... it wounds my inner autist deeply, but ultimately it saves time on pointless explanations.

I will let aubergine slip occasionally, courgette very infrequently. I've learned to use cilantro for the leaves and coriander for the seeds, unless the person I'm assaulting with my culinary bullshit is Spanish anything or English English.

Yes, but only if we can giggle along with Japan for the adorable atrocities they've committed against English words.

People who call jalapeños and pronounce them as hallapeenose piss me off, same way as people who call guacamole
>Guac
Fuck you if you say guac and chips
Fuck you if you think "guac" is a standard dip for chips, it's a fucking sauce

My man
I fucking hate it when people call them
>Halapeeno

When Mexicans can pronounce my name properly, they can have their jalapeños back.

Until then, you can rage all you want. The machine isn't programmed to care.

Until you guys can say OUR names properly you can fuck off right back
It isn't payco or jewan
And it's not Mariah, it's maria

>Xenophobes - the thread

My accent's a bit French, but I can hold a conversation. Mexicans and South Americans usually just figure I learned the language in one of those Pyrenean grey areas.

Language changes when it crosses over into different languages. It's not an attack on your culture if a different culture puts an emphasis on a different part of your word. The sooner you realize language is mutable the sooner you can stop looking for things to take offence at

>offence
Learn to spell properly and you might have a chance of getting taken seriously

Do people actually get those names wrong?

>Other than how they are spelled and where they are used, there is no difference between offence and offense. Offense is the preferred spelling in the United States, and offence prevails in all the main varieties of English from outside the U.S.

You can stop looking for things to take offence at

>those trips
>defending the misspelling of words
You win for now, satan

You'd be surprised

When I'm speaking english, I call croissants crescents because suddenly shifting back to a french accent fucks up my english accent.

This bothers almost everyone that hears it.

Coriander is the seed, cilantro is the plant

Pretentious idiot on that dunning kruger power trip.
Neato man.

>intentionally mispronounce words

every time I did it the person I'm talking to would "educate" me my unnecessarily repeating the word but with the proper pronunciation.

2 questions:
what's pretentious about that?
and how does it come across as dunning-kruger-esque?
dude gave an explanation for things he does and linked to wikipedia. that's all

Is there anything more annoying than someone code switching during the pronunciation of certain words because they don't want to "butcher" with their native language's phenomes?
Especially weebs who switch to real authentic jap pronounciation when saying manga or anime out loud.

I live near Macon, GA. I haven't heard anybody pronounce Mascarpone correctly, ever.

entree used to mean the first meat dish, but not the biggest course, so the word entree as appetizier is still not far off from orginal meanings

using the phrase 'xxx here'

Go back to rebbit you fucking faggot

I love qwessa-dill-a and tor-till-a too

Just sayin that the tip of hot peppers is always bell pepper tier sweet and I found that lewd as hell.
Good night Veeky Forums

>coriander is the same as cilantro
Britbongs, everybody

The plant is literally called Coriandrum sativum.

Checkmate, fuckboi

Don't argue with him, he's American, it's futile.

>Ohé, partisans, ouvriers et paysans, c'est l'alarme!
Fuck off

>not buying coriandrum indica
Wew

Eyy, why don't you shut the fuck up, and go get me some schvooya-dell, ah?

Oh look another edgy teenager who has strong opinions on things he knows little about yet he calls everyone else a retard.

No to the second part. Pronounce things right, or at least make your greatest effort to. In ALL languages. With words like Euler you can justifiably play the ignorance card if you've never heard it pronounced correctly, but as soon as you're corrected I hope "yew-ler" never comes out of your mouth again.