moomintrove.com
youtube.com/watch?v=hELyxLBXzaU
youtube.com/watch?v=eVlOC0bpFq0
youtube.com/watch?v=l8uDlHN26xs
youtube.com/watch?v=EpHDPat7UWw
moomin.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Moomin_TV_Shows
youtube.com/watch?v=7tio_ZmHf4Y
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

I only know that it's Finnish and I hate Finns even morse than I do niggers and sodomites so naturally I hate it too.

I read one of them when I was a wee lad. It was a good mix of wierd, spooky, and "comfy" I dont remember many details, but looking back at it an adult might enjoy it outside of nostalgia.

Very Scandinavian in that it's spooky and comfy at the same time.

Moomins are too high-Veeky Forums for you anyways.

Jansson is swedish-finnish, though. Finns hate those, so she might be a perfect fit for you.

>a good mix of wierd, spooky, and "comfy"

Yep. They're some of the best "children's" literature. The melancholy disposition of the later books is wonderful.

Jansson is fantastic. Her ability to capture specific shades of melancholy and frustration, all those feelings we don't have precise names for, is unrivaled.

Can anyone comment how the comics stand up in comparison to the novels?

I've had the novels since childhood, but never read the comics. The lure of all the fantastic art is tempting me but I'm worried some of the magic will be missing.

The comics are more satirical than the books. They were more aimed at adults since it was ran on newspapers.

This. The comics are a bizarre and oddly violent thrill ride, but they're not like the stories.

I LOVED Notorious KKK.

Snufkin always annoyed me a bit. He is kind of a Mary Sue.

He just needs the Moomin dick.

The what?

Have you read her non Moomin work?

Amazing. I'm reading Moominvalley in November right now. I wish kids would read these books instead of all that shitty fantasy trilogies and YA crap.

Other novels and short stories by Tove Jansson are also good, like The Summer Book.

My favorite Moomin characters are Snufkin, Fillyjonk, Mymble and little Ti-ti-uu from a Tales From Moominvalley story.

The comics are pretty fun and I'd say more satirical, I love both things desu. Tove is one of my favorite authors, even now as an adult.

Don't think I have ever found a Moomin book in any of the American book stores I have gone to. I had to order them.

I've ordered most of them from betterworldbooks cause I like the old puffin covers, the new ones are okay I guess and very cheap on Amazon.

I live in a Spanish speaking country and translations are bad and super expensive, the covers are ugly too.

This one is not Puffin but still a cozy cover.

Where are you? What are the Russian books? I thought Moomin would have gotten a decent translation in Spanish, TVE used to air the '90s Moomin series all the time and the names were alright. What did they fuck with the books?

Yeah, I remember watching the series. The books are not terrible but too expensive, you can buy at least three of the books in English instead of one in Spanish. Siruela tier.

The russian books are novels, Strugatsky brothers, Douglas Adams and Sholokhov.

>Tove Jansson
>Strutgasky Brothers
>Spanish speaker

Be still, my beating heart. Those covers are pretty shitty. I thought the books are translated like ass in Spanish. Tell your publishers to step up their cover game, like the ones from this site.

moomintrove.com

But why?

Some of it (Summer Book, Winter Book, True Deceiver, Fair Play, The Woman Who Borrowed Memories). The spirit is the same.

Las ediciones Puffin UK de los 70 molan.

He is just jealous.

The Chinese editions look very nice.

No Sculptor's Daughter?

The True Deceiver was cozy.

The only author cozier than her in Nordic literature is Astrid Lindgren.

I wouldn't say cozier but it's definitely good and comfy to read.

I actually want this book but there isn't an English translation yet.

Top-tier. Happy I get to read them in the original Swedish.

The later books in the series are some of my all time favorites.

Mad jelly. Tove's prose works best in its original language.

hey im a first year russian student. glad u like russian too. stay strong мoй дpyг

Where are you learning Russian?

Reading both Moominpappa at Sea and Moominvalley in November as two sides of a coin is the best experience.

a college in chicago.

wbu?

A Finn betrayed me and left me to burn in hell.

Not yet, but it's on my list. Jansson is a seasonal writer: in November, you crack open Moominvalley in November, Summer Book in summer, etc. The Tales are good any time.

Great writer. Wish I had been exposed to the Moomins when I was younger. Reading them now is good though. They're Calvin and Hobbes level great

I will be collecting all of her non-Moomin too.

Some of the COMFIEST books in existence.

>Jansson is a seasonal writer: in November, you crack open Moominvalley in November, Summer Book in summer, etc.
I like doing the opposite. It's snowing outside and I'm reading Moominsummer Madness.

the absolute madman

I find it a lot more fitting. People usually think about summer when it's winter and vice versa.

>No Sculptor's Daughter

Why would you hate a white person?

W H I T E
H
I
T
E

youtube.com/watch?v=hELyxLBXzaU

youtube.com/watch?v=eVlOC0bpFq0

youtube.com/watch?v=l8uDlHN26xs

They're kind of tangential even if they use superficially same characters and setting.

Moomin books are melancholy and sometimes adventurous.

Moomin comics are anarchistic and a satirical.

Tove just gave his brother the right to do the comics using the characters. I think both interpretations are fine, perhaps prefer the books (Trollvinter in particular was extremely captivating for me as a child).

based user

She wrote the comics for quite some time before Lars took over in the end.

You will never be this based at life.

youtube.com/watch?v=EpHDPat7UWw

>Muh privilege

bitter cuck spotted

RRRREEEE why some cancer magazine has to be put everywhere?

best by the best by rewiev of the timesCANCER fuck

it devalues a book with its name printed on the cover, but it cannot devalue it purely, but it just fucks the pure senses up

I agree, at least is not a big golden circle hidding half of the cover, that annoys me so much.

>rewiev

They're very good.

The Moomins are great.

The real holy war is between the adaptations.
moomin.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Moomin_TV_Shows

I recommend the Polish stop-motion version. The Comet story comes across as forlornly apocalyptic in the hands of the Poles.

Because being able to hold down a blue collar job and take your boss's cock in your ass aren't pre-requisites for being the master race.

Piss-for-blood.

I only ever watched the japanese production, but it was fucking great, especially when they're all speaking swedish with a finnish accent.

Pa pa pa pa pa pa pa papapa, ma ma ma ma ma ma ma mamama, pa pa papapa, ma ma mamama ma, ja de e mumin...

There really is a Swede Finnish accent?

>professor fortran's encyclopedia

It's the most beautiful variant of Swedish.

For example?

There is fennoswedish swedish, and just plain swedish spoken by a finnish-speaker, I don't know which one they spoke, or if they're even different.
youtube.com/watch?v=7tio_ZmHf4Y
here's the swedish intro

i'm sure you can find episodes if you search a bit too

but he's right, finlandssvenska is very lovely

They're a bit different. Finland Swedish is a dialect of Swedish and has it's very own characteristics. A Finnish person speaking Swedish is just someone with an accent. They sound slightly similar though.

>has it's very own

*has its very own

nice that someone recognized it

jaaG --- jaaG eer pök

thats kind of hot
I completely understand why my ancestors were dominated by swedes, Finland wasn't won with war and crusades, but rather with lusty and stern blonde women