Is it true that some people just can't do math well...

is it true that some people just can't do math well. i have been told i am bright but i have never really enjoyed or been all to good at math (thou i haven't really tried all too much). i went to a psychologist as a kid and he told me i had a high verbal iq but low processing speed and therefore would be very good at things like reading and understanding but not so good at math. is that all whooey as i recently have taken an interest in math. is it just that i haven't tried hard enough. are some people just not made for math

It's great that all the hard math equations that had to be made for me to be alive, were all performed by someone else.

You can't teach genius, but if you spend enough time banging your head against a black board because you're too stubborn to give up, you'll probably be pretty good

Yeah it's called brainletism.

Nah seriously, it's called Dyscalculia

what? i don't really understand your point perhaps i was too elaborate in the post. i have been told my brain isn't good at math by a psychologist because i have a low processing speed, is that true can i really not do math as i would very much like to

>is it true that some people just can't do math well.
>is it true that some people just can't sing well.
>is it true that some people just can't draw well.

many would argue with me on this point, but the fact of the matter is that algebra is the most failed class. not only in high school, but in college as well. some people just can't do this stuff.

i have never had problems in math class. i hate the idea of being stupid so much thou. i just want to be bright enough to add something unique and wonderful to the world. like a great work of art or a new equation that explains a new phenomena but i keep getting told i am just not capable

Such bullshit, you're in a universe where particles are all reacting and there's laws governed by physics. There's prederinism and determisnm, a debate I'm not well adept at. However in each situation, there's only so many possible outcomes, or on the other hand there is only one outcome. Is there hope for society? Absolutely. We by no degree of certainty even fully understand the universe we inhabit. There could be infinite energy machines that just aren't invented honestly, there is so much unknown stuff that we just don't know about...

wtf algebra's so easy and I'm no genius
if you can understand some basic rules you can do algebra
like if you can play a sport you can do algebra

There are drugs (NMDA, not stims you dip) and shit like dual-n back. Are you even trying?

I was a fan of the idea that everyone can learn anything with the right diligence and commitment.
That kinda lasted until I got into upper division studies in Physics and some people just totally washed out.
That's interesting about processing speeds of verbal and logical or w/e. I struggled with some concepts a lot getting by.

That's my philosophy atm.

i just wanted to know if someone with a low processing speed could overcome it and be a very good mathematician. i want to major in genetics or biology so i want to know if i am just fucked or what. i have never had any problems with math or been a bad student the only reason i doubt this is cause i had a psychologist tell me i had a low processing speed and that i should give up on things like math and science.

should i just give up then. am i just too stupid. verbal iq is pretty much useless. this is something that really depresses me as i believe that positive creativity is the highest of virtues and to be told i am not capable of doing such a thing is like taking away everything.

sort of unrelated but I get pretty shit grades but one time they let me take an exam orally and I fucking aced it, got perfect in the course
I've never got perfect in anything

that is very good i am very glad you did well

Well, you COULD get into pure math, since there is no need to do lots of shit that was in highschool math, however you gotta be creative like an artist or musician since there is a fuckton of abstract things in there.

But I wouldn't recommend you as a career unless you want to be a professor for the rest of your life.
And stay away from Applied Math, Stats and Accounting if that memory of yours is bad.

no my memory is fine. i have a very high verbal iq everything else is just average or below average

>no my memory is fine
Alright, good.

You could definitely get into pure math, but I don't know if you want to be a professor or teacher at a private highschool, user.

I'm pretty sure there must be some other reason why you can't "get into" math and science.
You can learn concepts and formulas right? Or you don't have a strong logical sense?

not very good logic. again it isn't that i can't i haven't tried yet i have been told i can't by a psychologist. i like to write and make art too. i have to go to sleep but i will be on tomorrow to see how the thread does if it survives. i am just considering not doing it cause i was told not to. also highschool is hell i have told myself i will never let myself become a school teacher i want to create not teach

Teaching is a great and rewarding profession imo. I love to care for people and see them grow

>I want to create, not teach
Alright alright, then just become an artist or writer, STEM is really not for you senpai.

But you can still COULD get a nice job with an english major, 55k starting and not likely rising but it would be fine for a single guy.

Just do what you think you can do like English major and do your best, you may not have that 70+k starting but at least you will be satisfied and can use your skills.

When it's a do or die situation, sink or swim, people can do all sorts of things. Sometimes they just don't understand the gravity of the situation.

This is just the cause of education protocols. Nobody should have learn the existence of substraction and division.
Their is only two operations who exists.

why aren't you doing a bunch of mathbooks. "Somebody said I can't do this, so I won't even try"

There's nothing magic about math it's a learned skill like anything else you have to practice at. I also don't get all these people who write these threads "Should I take X in uni??" take it yourself and see if you like it obviously. Lecture notes and textbooks are freely available

>that disgusting writing mannerism
I think you might be an actual retard, which is what your psychologist meant saying "low processing speed"
no "verbal iq" consolation prize will change that, sorry

You have a very defeatist logic. You avoid responsibility by... putting it on shoulders of some psychologist who said something more than a decade ago? Get a grip and decide for yourself. Seems like you just want to make excuses. As others said, books are available.
If I had to recommend you something... "Visual group theory" is a small, fun book to read.

>Constant effort over almost 20 years
>Writing a book

THEY SAID IT COULDN'T BE DONE

It's already commonly known that young people's brains have great plasticity. This means that apart from certain medical conditions and the fact that there seems to be a g factor you can basically become anything you wish. Meaning you probably won't be the next Einstein but as long as you keep conditioning your brain to the specific subject you will become better.

I think many people who complain about math just suffer from learned helplessness.

i do know i sound defeatist i was told recently and it bothered me. my writing isn't like my posts on Veeky Forums you mong