Is literature the highest form of art?

Is literature the highest form of art?

Theatre is.

Sex is.

I dunno, I've seen some pretty badass quilts in my day.

nice meme

Anime is.

of course not.

poetry, music and painting are the only genuine forms of art.

anything else is a failed attempt to reach them.

>Implying poetry isn't literature

>ignoring that literature is corrupted poetry

put your hands together and you got...anime *nods*

Unironically this. Anime has screenwriting, visual arts, varying styles, voice acting, etc. Its a choice between ugly virgins sitting in musty basements tapping away on their laptops vs cute Japanese girls and creative geniuses teaming up to produce high art.

cute girls don't create anime, weird old men do

Miyazaki and Anno are cute girls for me

>greentext
Even though literature courses study both novels, plays, musicals aaaaand... yep, poems.

If a picture is worth a thousand words and you make a book of pictures, who has more words at page 500?

Cute girls do voice acting, men old and young contribute in every other category. From soundtrack production to directing and animating.

>art

Fantasmas

>If a picture is worth a thousand words
It isn't though

Math is

Terrorism is highest form of art.

Kek

M U S I C

>BOB DYLAN

Reee, etc.

lmao

Literature and music.

Literature is a very deliberate, deeply cerebral art. Unlike music, or visual arts, I don't really believe that literature can be 'spontaneous', unless you subscribe to failed meme movements like the beatniks. Every (good) work of literature is a fruit of a long, intellectually charged process, which makes it so memorable, but at the same time removes the immediacy of human emotion. I can't really imagine a writer doodling with words on the page in the same way a musician randomly pulls the guitar strings.

interpretive dancing

Music is, but literature is a close second.

video games are

gone home perfected storytelling desu

>Literature is a very deliberate, deeply cerebral art.
this is exactly why it is one of the lowest forms of art

Escapist fantasies are desu

Saying this doesn't make you clever.

I just wanted you to know that

Qualify that statement mate.

Vidya is

No, memes

Music for sure
You zan describe a book or a play but music you simply have to hear, there's nothing quite like it

>music elevates me more than literature does

Books for this feel?

just watch Amadeus desu

Had to Google. The Forman movie?

>Literature
>Art
Look at this pleb

Literature isn't art. Fiction is.

That's the one.

I'd say sculpture is superior
But literature is good to, how do you define art? Is it the works behind it? What it is trying to convey?

Cinema has outstripped every other artform since the death of modernism in literature

Can we stop trying to compare literature to every other art form? Every medium of art has a unique aspect to it that another cannot imitate. Just as classical music cannot be expressed in words, literature cannot be expressed in notes. These unique elements make them impossible to compare just like you wouldn't compare philosophy and math. If they weren't separated into different categories and were just compared to one another, then we'd lose sight of what they are and they'd just become indistinguishable.

Paintins aren't sp0ontaneous either. You have to learn a thousand little tricks in order to paint. I don't even know why you entertain the notion that composing music is spontaneous.

One of the qualities of poetry is that you can't do a re-telling of it.

this
CI NE MA

Ok.
This is perhaps the main reason why it is one of the lowest forms of art

No, music is because it's the least limited of artforms. You can write poetry or novels but it will still be limited by the language it is written in. Sound can be created, modulated and arranged in almost any way imaginable. Visual art and painting is up there but you're still limited by the amount of colors you can percieve or the motive you're trying to depict.

Das rite.
Avengers is modern Ulysses

Yes. Easily.

You are limited by the range of sounds that humans can hear.

i never said it wasn't limited, just that it's the least limited. Compare the variation of sounds you can hear versus the variations of colors there are.

Pottery / ceramics is the oldest and must universal of the arts. Almost every single culture has some form of ceramic tradition, whether basic function ware or highly decorated peices. It is the most human artform

To some extent, I agree. But the majority of cinema is horseshit, and there are still traces of literature prevailing in our contemporary society-- Wolfe, McCarthy, Dellilo, etc.

/thread

Even the greatest writers in history didn't use more than 10% of english vocabulary. Shakespeare invented a bunch of his own words. Languages constantly evolve and change, there're estimated 20000 words added to english common usage every year. What limits are you talking about pham

>Pottery / ceramics

TOP LEL, faggot. The same could be said about literally anything else, like cuisine, literature, or theater.

Not the user, but saying something never makes one clever. Statements are a product of wit, never a cause.

Oral storytelling tho.

Whose estimate is it? 20,000 seems awfully high.

It has been said.

I'm not talking about strictly words and vocabulary, but grammar, rules of speech and the likes are also a form of limitation. Without that, you would just write unintelligible gibberish and meaning would be lost (but i guess that could also be cosidered a form of art...). Atleast with music it is easier to convey feelings and meaning through unstructured sounds without rules.

that number probably includes a lot of technical terminology that most people would never use like medical terms and shit

POTTERY
O
T
T
E
R
Y

Me too