Tfw local philosophy factory closed down

>tfw local philosophy factory closed down

The h**k am I supposed to do with this degree now?

I thought about becoming a philosopher;s apprentice but I missed the deadline already.

Law school, or a bank.

lmao get a stem degree, you faggot, a philosophy degree is worthless

>learn about morality and virtue for three years
>go become a scummy lawyer or callous banker

No thanks. Both terrible suggestions.

are you like, really stupid?

Most degrees, in general, are worthless. Just having a degree doesn't mean much. It's what the person does with the degree that matters. People who are motivated, know their shit, love their chosen field, and work hard at it are the ones who make it, with or without a degree.

The people who get a degree, because they think it will land them something just because they got it, are bound for failure.

>clearly doesnt have a stem degree
>tells others to get a stem degree
Pure ideology

Well...that is 99% of the online stem vs humanity controversy, just idiots who aren't even in college arguing over something they have no understanding of.

Like...if you get a stem degree, you're going to have to take a LOT of humanity courses anyway, and if you get a humanities degree, you'll be taking tons of science too. Plus there's tons of unemployed STEM people out there, there's tons of unemployed people with degrees in general, you're a fag, and etc...

You sound like my parents. And I'm only minoring in it.

This is ridiculous, there are numerous jobs that require you have some kind of certification.

and? you can get certifications without a degree.

I'll rephrase that: there are numerous jobs that require you have some kind of degree.

Go try to be a doctor or work at Airbus, doing anything but cleaning, without a degree.

This thread again..

so? and just because you have a degree, doesn't mean you're going to work for airbus or be a doctor.

>Like...if you get a stem degree, you're going to have to take a LOT of humanity courses anyway, and if you get a humanities degree, you'll be taking tons of science too. Plus there's tons of unemployed STEM people out there, there's tons of unemployed people with degrees in general

It seems you've been misinformed as well. First, stemlords only have to take humanities courses to fulfill their GERs, this generally entails surface-tier courses. 2nd, Humanities majors might also have to take some intro science classes, but these are barely above high school tier, hardly "tons of science." And third, you're misrepresenting the state of employment. Stemlords, depending on the subject (e.g pure science majors like Chem or Bio) will generally have a difficult time finding a job without at least a Masters or PhD, this is true. But it is also true that, overall, they have a much higher median and mean income than humanities majors. Furthermore if you major in some "in-demand" subject (anything interdisciplinary with computation/math/statistics and pure science) you will have no trouble finding a (well-paying) job at a major city. Finally, the key difference between post-graduate education for a stemlord and humanities major, is that a stemlord will be paid for his education, while the humanities major will have to pay.

As usual, humanities is only for two classes of people: children of rich kids or irresponsible retards. The rest of us must fill demand as it suits society as a whole and practice philosophy in our lives (instead of in books or academic journals).

only now with less funny people

i'm a doctor at airbus and i don't have a degree, checkmate

>First, stemlords only have to take humanities courses to fulfill their GERs

Yeah...and they have to take a lot of them. They also will have to take upper level ones, not as many as a humanities major, though.

>Humanities majors might also have to take some intro science classes

Yeah...and they have to take a lot of them. They also will have to take upper level ones, not as many as a science major, though.

>Furthermore if you major in some "in-demand" subject (anything interdisciplinary with computation/math/statistics and pure science) you will have no trouble finding a (well-paying) job at a major city.

Right....for one, not really true, just because you have an in demand degree in no way guarantees you employment, there's tons of dipshits who have degrees but know nothing of their field, and will probably never work in it.

Even if you go along with this, then as long as you uproot your life, and devote everything to your chosen profession, then you'll have no trouble finding employment. Sounds great.

Try actually graduating from your degree, and working in the field, before you start spouting nonsense that all your classmates tell eachother.

Well whatever you have to tell yourself to justify your decisions. Cognitive dissonance must resolve itself someway.

I have graduated though and been working in the field for about a year and a half (bioinfo major) and recently applied for several PhD programs. Don't know if I'll get in, but it is nice knowing that I will be paid for the education I'm getting instead of having to pay for it.

>Yeah...and they have to take a lot of them.

Not necessarily. As an EE major, I only have space for a single course that can be a humanities course, everything else I take is either in the sciences, my actual degree program, or history.

>As an EE major, I only have space for a single course that can be a humanities course

you're either lying, or not going to an actual college. My first guess would have been ITT, if they didn't close down.

Morality and virtue are spooks you pleb

You do not have to take a lot of humanities as a stem major. I'm an EE and taking a couple of AP classes in high school filled all of my humanities requirements except for one.

Don't know about americans or other folks' experiences, but in the UK education is fucked beyond belief. There are innumerable small complaints that you can make about it, but it really boils down to two bedrock points:
>over-education
>degree dilution

It comes from the idea that 'if you want to be successful then you HAVE to go to university', so now basically everybody tries to regardless of if they are really committed to their degree or not. Universities encourage it, obviously, because they get paid per student, so they lower the entry requirements and push their degrees as far more useful than they are. Degrees become next to worthless, with PhDs being the only truly 'respected' degree left.

Then during your degree you are taught and tested on a hundred different things you'll never need to utilise or probably even know in the majority of jobs you could do with your degree after graduation; while the key materials are basically just glossed over rather than ingrained in your mind like they should be. This does nothing but waste students' time and money, but the unis keep doing it because they are getting paid.

Obviously there's much more to it and I could do into a lot more detail in general and specifically about my own degree, but really there's so much I wouldn't know where to begin. This isn't me just being bitter after coming out of uni and seeing the reality of the situation either; of the six people in my close circle of friends who went to uni all of them have had similar if not almost exactly the same experiences (even split of 3 STEM, 3 non-STEM).

Education needs a rebuild from the ground up (there's a shitton of stuff wrong with primary and secondary education as well here in the UK), but it's sadly never going to happen.

Also from the UK and I agree. Dropped out partially because I realised the whole education system was a scam.

Have no idea what to do with my life now though...maybe retrain as an electrician or something. Fuck.

agree, aside from the fact that even a PhD isn't THAT respected anymore.

>so they lower the entry requirements and push their degrees as far more useful than they are.
This is a massive problem. Pretty much everything you wrote is the exact same here in Canada. The humanities are especially fucked.

Britbong here and I agree.

I went to an ok uni but the number of people there to fuck about was disgusting. So many normies go to uni for the wrong reasons. I also hate the fact that students can get away with letting their grass grow and having their houses full of garbage because "le such a student!" meme.

>and if you get a humanities degree, you'll be taking tons of science too.
top kek no

I need 6 science credits, which means one enviro course I'm just taking to supplement a course on humanity's connection with nature, and later a course on applied philosophy of science.
>im a literal tool that only exists to make (((them))) money
Fuck off 10th grader.

>tfw local ideology factory shut down

>Education needs a rebuild from the ground up (there's a shitton of stuff wrong with primary and secondary education as well here in the UK), but it's sadly never going to happen.

Yeah, I guess it reflects our problem with integrating education into wider society.

I've been researching for a potential Master's degree in Netherlands/Denmark and the way their programmes are outlined seems remarkably different. They put a lot of concern with regard for practicality. There's also so many more socially-focused courses.

Sound a bit better than 'previous graduates of this course have gone on to work for BSkyB'.

>mfw people finally realize that the democratisation of education is a bad thing