ITT: the national poet of your country vs who you think should be the national poet of your country

ITT: the national poet of your country vs who you think should be the national poet of your country

Mihai Eminescu
George Bacovia, cause we are a nation of emo.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uwIGZLjugKA&ab_channel=KidRock
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Shakespeare

Nah I'll stick with him m8

>Camões

Yeh I'll stick with him too

according to wiki either thomas moore or wb yeats. i'm surprised it's not pearse just because of the nationalists, but yeats might be a reasonable compromise to some of them. heaney's dead now so i wonder if he's in the running. kinsella's still alive i think. kavanagh i don't really like but there's probably a faction for him in certain areas, like there would be for mangan.

i'd prefer if joyce was our national poet instead of writer though. he's actually got some good poems.

>Robert Burns
Eh, I'm okay with that.

nice
www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5qd1VRORp4

all we have is Leonard Cohen;
besides some Margaret Atwood poems Canada's a no one

why don't you like kavanagh?

Yeats is great though.

>Hugo
I'm ok with it

too many drunk renditions of raglan road is my best guess

but not liked by all the nationalists or the more parochial romantics

>Not preferring Pessoa over Camoes

Brazil has no such thing tho. Maybe Gonçalves?

I probably do prefer Pessoa, but it's hard to argue that Camoes is the more influential figure, kind of like Shakespeare or Burns

>Henrik Wergeland
vs.
>Vidkun Quisling

>The national poet of your country
Kid Rock.
>Who you think it should be
Also Kid Rock.

youtube.com/watch?v=uwIGZLjugKA&ab_channel=KidRock

lol what
>Irving Layton
>Robert Kroetsch
>F.R. Scott
>Al Purdy

all of them better than atwood

>implying someone gives a shit about other countries' poetry

Adam Mickiewicz
Adam Mickiewicz

It's hard to say, really. Perhaps some modern poet could also be the national poet of Poland, but I think that Mickiewicz is one of the most important, well-known and liked.

>the national poet of your country

Juhan Viiding

>who you think should be the national poet of your country

Jüri üdi

It genuinely feels gratifying to say that Shakespeare is the national poet of my country until you remember that nations are socially constructed and being born in the same arbitrarily designated area as someone who spoke the same language as you (and even then, not always that, amirite Indians?) does not mean you have any greater kinship with them and their work or a better claim to their legacy than any foreigner who, for all you know, could have the kind of personality traits and aesthetic preferences that make Shakespeare more meaningful for them than for any Brit. Borges and Goethe have more in common with Shakespeare than Jeremy Kyle. John Keats has more in common with Mihai Eminescu than Nicolae Ceausescu.

What do Irish / Northen Irish people think of Seamus Heaney?

>tfw i rather read anglophone poets than poets from my country

All of the ones you name have the commonality of not being negroid.

And that's all that matters.

Eminescu is the greatest poet of all time. Second greatest is Pushkin.

He was also a gigantic dickwad who scoffed at the romanticism of other poets

Moore and Yeats were both nationalist's that inspired Pearse.

ANNE CARSON

I'm from Tyrone, grew up over the hill from John Montague. Haven't been to the new museam in bellaghy yet but it looks great. Among nationalists, he's roundly admired for his contribution to cultural identity but there is also some reticence over his views in later years when he had settled in Dublin for decades. Unionist protestants I don't know, they're largely silent over him. Heaney is recited in every school though, I remember listening to mid-term break in class

I should really get around to reading him. Just have to suck it up and have dex-online open.

Most people would give that title to Octavio Paz, but the queen still reigns.

He's based

I hated drunk Raglan Road at first but the more I hear it the more it grows on me

i would have made her squirt

True that

Do you know/are learning Romanian? Ori eşti un tovarăş conațional?

To me he is filtering everything through the prism of love up to an exaggerated extent. His whole short but ultimately meaningful life was literally dedicated to his one-sided love, and this kind of lovey-dovey blows out of proportions his philosophy. Other than that yeah, through his language he was appealing to everybody, unlike Barbu or Stănescu who are extremely hard to read for an average Romanian.

Also, if you saw how much infatuated is the Romanian people with him, having not even read anything of his, you'd realize he is what he is just because everybody thinks he is the greatest of all time.

In the end, "he wasn't when he was, but now he is when he isn't".

Fuck that cunt.
I'm not a fan of poetry but I do love Salvador Novo.

Yeats was a Celtic Revivalist. Pearse even said Yeats and Gregory's theatre venture should have been killed at birth. You're really not making sense and I think you might also think there's only one set of nationalists in Ireland =/

>I hated drunk Raglan Road at first but the more I hear it the more it grows on me
These two in combination clarified my point. From now on I'll just hear A Pint of Plain Is Your Only Man instead of whatever words Kavanagh chose.
Being professor of poetry at Oxford probably helped. Normally the English can get over other people's nationalities when it might be beneficial to them. [see: every list where /brit/lit/ tries to claim it produces more writers of note than other countries]

Since Norn Iron has shown up: you guys are claiming Longley right? Longley's based.