Disregarding terrorists and so on, can we do anything practical with African deserts? They are fucking yuge

Disregarding terrorists and so on, can we do anything practical with African deserts? They are fucking yuge.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desertec#Desert_Power_2050
youtube.com/watch?v=A0C4_88ub_M
kobra.bibliothek.uni-kassel.de/bitstream/urn:nbn:de:hebis:34-200604119596/1/DissVersion0502.pdf
nasa.gov/content/goddard/nasa-satellite-reveals-how-much-saharan-dust-feeds-amazon-s-plants
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropical_rainforest
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sahara
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Deforestation_and_desertification
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Leave it to their rightful owners, imperialist scum.

Telescopes?

WOWOWOWOW
STOP RIGHT THERE

If we were to use that land, be it by buying it or by taking it, that would be fucking racist. Let the native people work their own land. Or what, do you think they can't? You fucking racist asshole go kill yourself.

Try leaving it alone

There was that crazy plan to build solar power generators out there, I think a few billion was allocated but then Libya went to shit and Mali and everywhere else was overrun by derkas beheading so plan is on hold. (unless the derkas were part of the plan.. idk into geopolitics) en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desertec#Desert_Power_2050

XDD

youtube.com/watch?v=A0C4_88ub_M

I read wind might have been a better choice.
kobra.bibliothek.uni-kassel.de/bitstream/urn:nbn:de:hebis:34-200604119596/1/DissVersion0502.pdf

they are practical
they are very important for world climate
stop being retarded

Sahara does a very practical thing on its own. It fertilizes the Amazonian forest.

They are not adjacent.

Chad, Algeria, and Mauritania do more than W. Sahara does.

HOL UP

Make the desert bigger and more barren to kill all the humans there.

They contribute a ton of iron to the ocean, which is required for photosynthesis and hence oxygen in our atmosphere.

nasa.gov/content/goddard/nasa-satellite-reveals-how-much-saharan-dust-feeds-amazon-s-plants

So then what happens to the Amazon during wet Sahara periods?

Is there a good book that covers the climatic history of the world for a non-expert (perhaps on a university undergraduate level)?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropical_rainforest
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sahara

I am particularly interested in environmental degradation through human action over time.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Deforestation_and_desertification

Biologically engineer worms to enormous size and give the desert to them.

Cover them in solar panels and wind turbines.

Sandcastles

Massive irrigation

morocco did this, and is planning to add more

jidf pls go

Maybe use large covered pools to grow algae. Algae can be easily modified to produce various oils.

The pools could be filled with simple saline, however they would need to somehow capture the water that evaporates off during the day. Also they would need to be deep, so as to store thermal energy during the day and dump it overnight.

I think that the deserts' constant sunshine is a huge asset, but the only cheap way to monetise it is with biological means. Solar panels are too expensive and transmission costs for electricity too much.

Using the solar energy to power a furnace is a great idea, but there's not much of a decent workforce in North Africa.

I wonder if there is a way to block all frequencies of light except those which help plants grow. It would help with excessive heat and evaporation.

YOU SAYIN

>Consume the water that remains.
Brilliant.