Has mathematical theorem ever been found wrong after it has been accepted by the mathematical community...

Has mathematical theorem ever been found wrong after it has been accepted by the mathematical community? Let's start counting from years of Pythagoras (~500 B.C.)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grunwald–Wang_theorem
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grunwald–Wang_theorem

>fake proof in 1933
>another fake proof in 1942
>counterexample found in 1948

>Some days later I was with Artin in his office when Wang appeared. He said he had a counterexample to a lemma which had been used in the proof. An hour or two later, he produced a counterexample to the theorem itself... Of course he [Artin] was astonished, as were all of us students, that a famous theorem with two published proofs, one of which we had all heard in the seminar without our noticing anything, could be wrong. - John Tate

Euler's Sum of Primes conjecture was believed by a majority of mathematicians until a counterexample was found in the 1950's.

According to those who actually understand IUD, they believe it to be incorrect

>IUD

Inter Universal Dickmeasuring theory
Because that's all it really is.

but OP said
>after it has been accepted by the mathematical community

Well, measure theory has been accepted for a long time.

>comparing measure theory to IUT

I am comparing measure theory with dick measure theory.

>tmw the board is so autistic I have to explain the jokes

Yes

First thing that comes immediately to my mind is the parallel axiom by Euclid. Although not really/entirely wrong, it's not the whole truth and it influenced mathematicians for thousends of years.
Second, not a single theorem but a framework: naive set theory.
Third (also not a theorem, more of a concept): In 1700/1800 People like Euler, Bernoulli etc. used to use "infinitely small numbers" to do analysis. Although there exists theories and concepts nowadays, they used it in not acceptable way (from todays perspective).

Your joke sucks

Fourth: As far as I know: Ramanujan fabricated a lot of wrong stuff (not really theorems but analytic formulas). But because he was a genius he was believed to be right in the first place.
Fifth: Pythagoreens believed that there are no Irrationals (although they must have suspected it). They even killed one of their students who claimed the existence of Irrationals.

>They even killed one of their students who claimed the existence of Irrationals.
That seems like a rather disproportional reaction.

Yes indeed :), as far as I know they were more of a religion than a scientific community (believed to find god by the study of the ratio of Integers i.e. Rationals)

guess you could say it was rather...irrational

Out

I got another question.

How on Earth is it acceptable for a proof of mathematical theory to be 150 pages (proof of Fermat theory)?

Like, in 150 pages you could sum up the entire structure of modern quantum physics, general relativity and special relativity.

>How on Earth is it acceptable for a proof of mathematical theory to be 150 pages (proof of Fermat theory)?
some things are harder/take longer to explain than others... do you think it's unacceptable for a calculus book to be a few hundred pages?

>Ramanujan fabricated a lot of wrong stuff
What?

>Like, in 150 pages you could sum up the entire structure of modern quantum physics, general relativity and special relativity.
No surprise physics is for brainlets.

0.999... = 1

>0.999... = 1
But that's inaccurate.
You miss a small bit on the left.
[math]0.999...\approx 0.999...9[/math] at some [math]\mbox{n}[/math]-th place.
A good engineer always trusts his calculator.
They taught us the first day of college.

Ramanujan himself described it in a similar fashion like Tesla did: He didn't derive formulas, he "saw" them in his mind, especially all his continued fraction formulas. Most (probably _almost_ all) of them were true, but some were wrong.

>They even killed one of their students who claimed the existence of Irrationals.
I know the story but it's considered a myth nowadays.

Btw. he didn't claim it, he proofed it from a certain length ratio in the very symbol of Pythagoreans (the pentagram) itself which is kind of ironic.

Wrong word, thanks. My aologies!
Ah, didn't know that, thx.

>I know the story but it's considered a myth nowadays.
This still happens to these days.
Shing-Tung Yau ordered the assassination of Grigorij Perel'man.
Luckily the hired gun was neutralized by famous samurai Shinichi Mochizuki.
The chinese are still lobbying to this day so his work doesn't get recognized.

Keks