Is it possible to become more intelligent through proper training...

Is it possible to become more intelligent through proper training, or can the brain only become more and more debilitated (e.g. through substance abuse and illness)?

No spook discussion, please.

Other urls found in this thread:

quora.com/What-is-more-beneficial-in-life-a-high-EQ-or-IQ/answer/Jordan-B-Peterson
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23251943
twitter.com/AnonBabble

meditation makes you smarter, and emotional intelligence and initiative go a lot farther than raw intelligence 99.9999% of the time

>meditation
For how many minutes a day?

zero minutes

First define what you mean by intelligence

I don't know about meditation making you smarter, but I agree that emotional intelligence and initiative are generally more useful. "Raw" intelligence is overrated desu

>intelligence as an end goal
not gonna make it

if you have to ask it means your mind is already skeptical or closed to being greater so you won't be able to do it. You imposed limits on your own directions of thought and closed your growth. It can be recovered but only with the proper mindset (i.e. Not engaging in an intelligence rat race, having confidence in your ability, honing your focus, accepting notions and molding them to your advantage rather than resisting them, etc.)

diversify

Twice a day, 15-20 minutes. Treat it like taking a shower for your brain.

Im waiting for more comments, this shit interest me.

There is no such thing as emotional intelligence. It's hocus pocus.

This mode of answer is a pretty typical autistic brainman response I'm afraid.

I know because I catch myself giving them all the time.

Social cues are a language unto themselves, with infinite permutations of dialect and idiomatic expression.

Reading them well is a faculty of having studied and keenly observed other human beings throughout a lifetime.

Ponderous encyclopaedia-headed "intellectuals" are more interested in inert data than observing a human life in motion.

Consider; would you prefer to be stuck in a lift with a serviceable book, or a perfectly average stranger?

Very true. It's even really uncomfortable for me to talk to people on the phone, instead of in person. I can't see them so it feels like I don't know how to react to what they're saying.

Meditation does not make you smarter.
Emotional intelligence is only really useful for weeding out the autists.
There is some evidence that the dual n back game can increase intelligence.

quora.com/What-is-more-beneficial-in-life-a-high-EQ-or-IQ/answer/Jordan-B-Peterson

A distinction is often made between fluid and crystallized intelligence. Fluid intelligence can sort of be summed up as raw processing power, whereas crystallized intelligence is your ability to synthesize new thoughts based on experience and already acquired knowledge. Your fluid intelligence peaks in your mid-to-late twenties, which is why mathematicians and physicists often need to start doing good work early, whereas crystallized intelligence increases throughout your lifetime.

ยจ

It does make you smarter.

ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23251943

>Induced stress from the computer game resulted in a significant increase in physiological markers of stress such as GSR and HR. In the short term, meditation was associated with a physiological relaxation response (significant decrease in GSR) and an improvement in scores on the Stroop test of reaction times. In the long-term, meditation brought significant improvements in IQ and scores for cognitive functions, whereas participants' stress levels (GSR and AS) decreased. EQ, salivary cortisol, and HR showed no significant changes.

>EQ
>Big Five Traits

Clinical psychology is a novelty field, and it's practitioners are knowingly or unknowingly, all engaging in a field about as credible as astrology or palmistry.

Measurable factors of intelligence are always hampered by being grouped into arbitrary sets for "ease of understanding" - true knowledge, and true self-knowledge are beyond the ken of the human animal.

Based.

>tfw you actually were born at the 95th percentile for wealth
>tfw you could have been born at the 95th percentile for IQ instead

I swear to Christ I wish I was born smart, especially because I live in a country where poor kids still get food and schooling, and where scholarships and student loans are a thing. Just become a Thiel/Shkreli clone and make an absolute fortune, work in some company that has a climbing wall and espresso bar in their office, fuck pretentious art students in my spare time. . .that would be a nice life.

>not in the 98th percentile for IQ
pleb

what do you mean by meditation?

should i meditate about my life or try to think about nothing?

you can enhance your "idea vocabulary" to make it more expressive
this enables you to deal with more complex concepts with less mental energy
your perceptions release previously integrated "symbols" or parts of this vocabulary and the more you have the more able to deal with tasks youll be (mainly in academic subjects)

i didnt phrase this well desu

all i basically said was learning is good

Just YouTube Meditation, read the book from Suzuki... Focus on your breathe, than adapt the mindset in your daily life

>Jordan Peterson