Certainly greatest if the metric is popularity, but not the greatest based on literary merit

Certainly greatest if the metric is popularity, but not the greatest based on literary merit.

You are a banal, sad little man

yeah, and Paulo Coelho is a great writer too

being great = make tons of money

Nobody has ever or will ever surpass JK Rowling in the genre of children's literature.

She writes childrens books...

This is a raid thread by/v/edditors who spam her on /tv/

>illiterate little boys mad at girls who actually read something

fuck off with this cancerous bitch we dont need tumblr here
also jk rowling is NOT literature

Um excuse me
I was linked here from Tumblr
Whats your problem?

Rolwing is a hack. Harold Bloom was right.

Unironically this.

Harry Potter is great for kids, i remember loving it at that age. Its the right combination of adventure, moralizing, and fantasy that lets kids learn from the books without being bored. There's a reason why its so impactful a lot of people remain obsessive over the series into adulthood.

I don't get why people on this forum get so mad when it's brought up, even though OP is a blatant troll.

The new movie is bullshit though.

what does this have to do with tumblr, you bum

>He/she stretched her legs

It's lowbrow garbage that rots their minds.

who is this odd bitch how come she's boring ego and popular

This, they'd honestly be better off watching cartoons

The first book in the series is objectively very very poorly written, but by the end her work has progressed significantly and is probably as good as children lit will ever get

I legitimately think that this is an extremely well constructed book.

>be a random child in the world
>read all the harry potter books in the series
>have learned nothing that would enchance my life. No serious moral values taught, no historical facts, no scientific research
>in the end, even quoting it would look ridiculous
R.i.p wasted time. Thankully I only read the very first one because I liked the movie

Harry potter is comfy as fuck
The movies at least

>not reading for pleasure
pleb alert

This. You are only wasting your time

No serious moral values taught? You read the most extensive defense of mistrusting authority, institutions, and the need to rebel that has ever been written for kids and you got nothing from it? The Potter series has tons of flaws (her plot ex machinas are crude as hell), but ideologically, she has an unusual and strong stance: Harry, as a kid abused and governed by capricious bully assholes all his life, is incapable of trusting authority or letting adults handle problems for him, and the more we see of how corruptible all authority figures are from the Minister of Magic, the press, etc., the more ambiguity and chaos the main characters have to try to navigate independently. They screw up--in half the books the plot's crisis is actually caused by Harry's refusal to let adults do their fucking jobs without interference--but it's the same "I can't trust anyone and better I die than someone else" attitude that leads to his sacrifice and victory.

>implying most children would be capable of reading Homer nowadays
No, reading is objectively better for mental development

You guys are retarded

Hi, Jenny. I think your videos are funny. Pop culture is cancer though.

Don't be mad cause I'm doing me better than you doing you

hi /v/eddit guy, is /tv/ not big enough for you any more? You have to take your autistic crusade over here too?

Mao's Last Dancer is better and 1/20 as long.

>Who is Lewis Caroll

She did create her own fictional world that is imaginative, well thought out, far-reaching, and fascinating. Even now as an adult, I believe I could still enjoy the Harry Potter novels. Yes, I would consider her a great author; her first novel was Philosopher's Stone, and though it didn't initially sell well, once it caught on it caught on like wildfire, and rightly so.

Is she the greatest author of our time? Well if 'our time' is the last 20-25 years or so (26 years for me), what are the other possibilities? That Green guy? The dude who wrote The Fault in our Stars? What about Max Brooks? Bernard Cornwell is still writing, though he started in the 80s (I think early 80s). The dude who wrote Book of Negroes? Donald Trump? He came out with a book recently.

You know what, I'm not a Harry Potter fan anymore (haven't read a book, played a game, or seen a movie since... oh... 2009 perhaps?), but yeah, I'd consider J. K. Rowling one of the greatest authors of our time, but with strong emphasis on 'ONE OF'. I can't really think of a whole lot of great authors of the last quarter century, but then again, I didn't TRULY get into reading until mid-2012. Before then, it was basically just Harry Potter, Zombie Survival Guide, and stuff I had to read for school (Hatchet was pretty fucking badass, to be fair).

If Veeky Forums wants to learn me some awesome literature of our generation, and/or if I'm being a moron and you want to explain why (with something better than 'Rowling and Harry Potter sucks'), then by all means, please do so. I don't claim to be a particularly well-read man.

T-cells have detected cancer, destruction imminent.

>Likes Harry Potter
>Is a female

Typical

But above all that, this

>Kipling

I'm beginning to feel like my alienation from the comfy life might have a lot to do with my having never read Harry Potter.

you're an idiot. YA books are "stepping stones"

you read em when youre young and it gets you into reading in general, then you graduate to literature as you grow older
you have to remember the kids reading HP are like 10-13 or younger, then they get into high school and read 1984 and Vonnegut and other high school books and then when they get older they move past the entry level

>moralizing

Which is bad enough, but they're not even good morals.

>Even now as an adult, I believe I could still enjoy the Harry Potter novels.

Probably because you have Downs Syndrome and a mental age of 13.

>Who is Roald Dahl
>Who is Jules Verne
>Who is Lewis Carroll
>Who is Aesop
>What is the Hobbit

>her plot ex machinas
If you knew what you were saying here you'd see how retarded this is to say.

DING!DING!DING!
We have a winner

brothers grimm?

>reading trash is still reading something

No.

You're an idiot, most people who read it never "step" on to something more advanced, they just get older and keep reading YA fiction.

>J.K. Rowling
>greatest authors of our time
She writes like a twelve year old, to make it short no you shouldn't.

K.A. Applegate

Thanks god the anglosphere will die this century. The world cannot stand anymore all you idiocy.

Is there anything good in your countries?

i find the lack of hp critique copypastas i this thread... disturbing

It would be hard to say she isn't the most influential.

You would like that, wouldn't you?

On the contrary, thank god what you hope for won't actually take place, faggot. And this exactly because the anglosphere so loves to inflict "all you idiocy" right back at you.

Ask yourself this question, cuck: what language did you use to so smugly dismiss the English speaking countries?

>being this triggered

and, being this right

What you've said is what people have learned to say when they don't have a reply. Yes, it's a bad thing, and reflects on you, when you don't have that reply.

jesus christ look at that spider

This. Kipling is a favourite author of mine as an adult, his world building is far more interesting to me.

The first books is called Northern Lights.

>American education strikes again.

During pre-publication of the novel, the prospective trilogy was known in the UK as The Golden Compasses, an allusion to God's poetic delineation of the world. The term is from a line in Milton's Paradise Lost where it denotes the drafting compass God used to establish and set a circular boundary of all creation.

In the US, publisher Knopf had been calling the first book The Golden Compass (singular), which it mistakenly understood as a reference to Lyra's alethiometer (depicted on the front cover shown at the head of this article), because of the device's resemblance to a navigational compass.