Is platinum toxic at all? Could you flatten it into foil and coat food with it?

Is platinum toxic at all? Could you flatten it into foil and coat food with it?

If it is non-toxic, why aren't fancy-pants using that instead of gold on their thousand-dollar food?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vark
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Platinum is inert, like gold, but it's very hard metal, while gold is very soft. Pure gold can be squished with your fingers. Gold flake is made by beating it into very thin sheets, which doesn't require much involved process. To do that to platinum would require more expensive processing and would make it more trouble and cost than it was worth just for adding to a food item.

What about silver? I know it's less expensive than gold, but desu, I just want to see silvery gilded food once in a while.

Currently gold is worth more anyway.

In the mid 2000s platinum was $2100+ an ounce while gold was in the $1000-1200 per ounce range. Currently however gold is $1200-1400 per ounce while platinum is $900-1100 per ounce.

actually, traditionally, silver was used on food before gold

both are still used but gold is more known to the general populus because of meme foods

All silver (that's used for making jewelry, flatware, etc) is an alloy, and you would want to eat those. Pure silver is very soft, like gold, and you could turn it into flakes or thin sheets, BUT, pure silver tarnishes so fast in the presence of even just the air, you'd end up with black flakes and black sheets from the tarnish. Also, fun fact, silver tarnishes much faster in cities than in the country or small towns because of the exposure to pollution.

Nigga what did you think dragees were?

Well fuck

never seen those before.

They're used in cake decorating all the time

Well I'm poor af so that's probably why I've never seen them before.

Hope it's a good cupcake...

>dumb frogposter thinks being poor prevents you from setting foot in a grocery store baking aisle

I regret ever opening this thread.

>All grocery store baking aisles sell silver-decorated cupcakes

To quote the great Donald Trump: "Wrong."

That shit is made and sold in middle class bakeries in middle class communities, of which I don't live. I'm not going to explain why that's too much of a hassle for me right now because it'll just sound like I'm making excuses. I'll try it someday, just not now. Right now, all I can do is hope it's worth trying.

And the frog was the only sad image I could find in my folder. Now I'm frogposting on purpose.

>Right now, all I can do is hope it's worth trying.
They're pretty shit tasting desu. They just look nice.

>Hope it's a good cupcake...
it's covered in fucking metal BBs

Th-thanks anons

Platinum isn't as popular because it's just another silver color like silver.
Gold is distinct which is why it's popular as a luxury item, even though there are more expensive/valuable metals out there

The baking aisle sells baking ingredients.
It's where you find flour, sugar, and decorations like sprinkles and dragees.

Stop being retarded on purpose.

I didn't know I wasn't supposed to eat these... a-am I going to be okay?

if getting early onset alzheimers is okay, then yeah you'll be fine

The FDA doesn't consider them edible because of the heavy metal content, but most other countries DO recognize them as edible (UK for example they're a food item, whereas in the US they're for decorative purposes only).

tldr; you'll be fine.

>I know it's less expensive than gold

Not anymore user, I hope you didn't buy gold for when society collapses

they aren't expensive, is what he's hinting at. you could've just googled silver dragees and seen the price. they're coated and not literal solid balls of silver, at least the cheap ones anyway

>I-I'm not a frogposter!! I only have frog images saved

is that because they found more platinum, or is it because gold is becoming more rare since retards keep eating it and shitting it down the toilet?

Mining supply is up, gold supply is down (thanks to increased manufacturing use and chinese and private holdings of gold), as well as platinum being hurt by the Volkswagen diesel scandal.

Platinum is often used in diesel catalytic converters, it is expected that diesel car sales will continue to drop for the foreseeable future, especially with hybrids and electrics set to takeover the roads in the next decade.

Fun fact: Silver poisoning is relatively harmless, but it turns your skin bright blue.

test

>he's so poor he can't buy proper reaction images

Nigger

Silver is currently below 18 USD/oz. and gold is over 1200 USD/oz., so I'm not sure how anyone could be this wrong.

Platinum is used in chemotherapy.

Are you fucking serious?

>mfw amerifats and europoors can't afford to put silver on their food
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vark

>not all of it is pure silver, nor hygienically prepared, and the foil nowadays commonly is beaten between layers of ox-gut because it is easier to separate the silver leaf from animal tissue than to separate it from paper.

yummy

Platinum doesn't have the cultural significance of gold. It's not the best thing to use if you want to show off for something like a gilded meal.

Pure gold is not THAT soft. Stop being a dumbass. You're thinking of marshmallows.

>what did you think dragees were
The packaging says 'silver balls', so I assumed they were sugar coated in chrome.

>/en.m.wikipedia
> Calls others poor
> Can't afford to use non-mobile wikipedia

To see what is talking about, google "argyria".

The attached image isn't shooped, or at least not much. CBS might have darkened it a little.

No, they're sugar coated in silver. Chromium is seriously toxic, especially after your stomach acid starts reducing it.