Share your literary contrarian opinions

Share your literary contrarian opinions

The way you write is by large unimportant.

'Literary Fiction' is, by and large, nothing but dull slice-of-life romcom drama bullshit

All literature is really about fudge

The Lord of the Rings is the greatest work of literature of the 20th Century. It is not, however, a novel.

yeah, but it can be really cozy. :/

'Literature' is merely a marketing term for commodified text content.

there are no good proust quotes

all literature and art and all that stuff that's hard to define really only is expression of the elite. if you're not elite you can't ever create art or literature or anything that will be a part of high culture. there is no training necessary for the real thing.

John Kennedy Toole.

Milan Kundera is overrated by pseuds and underrated by patricians.

The experience of the sublime may be real, but works that inherently are are not real. Art has an expiration date and everything it uses is fading, some quicker than others, into irrelevance and then incomprehension.

Bret Easton Ellis is the best writer of the end of the 20th century. The sour critical opinion of him from the previous generation has poisoned the well for the current one, but Glamorama is a towering masterpiece.

DFW has discernible talent.

>had

this

Orwell was a terrible writer and is only known because the CIA took his last two books for use as anti-communist propaganda.

1984 was well thought out, but not particularly special as a piece of art. Animal Farm was a product of the time but is, again, was not much of a product of literary talent.

The rest of his writing, outside of their journalistic value, was utter shite, with the exception of Coming Up for Air, which was somewhat readable.

Joyce is a great writer but a horrible novelist.

this. the only issue is if he'd have became a poet, he'd have had harder competition

still FW is the best epic poem in 200 years

That's an actually interesting opinion.

>not a novel
Then what is it?

Infinite Jest is enjoyable to read, but not a good book

I love writing genre fiction but got damn hate reading it

Holy...

Shutup!

I wish my opinions could be original.

never heard that one before

p contrarian tho

anyways, here's mine: pic related was a genius

pic related is one my GOAT reads

I'm not too big in his poetry either.

I think his prose is great, but he sucks at structuring stories, whether it be his short stories or novels.

I hated wuthering heights. The prose was well-done for the most part, but fashioned into a massive piece of shit as a novel.

not much contrary on Veeky Forums but pretty contrarian IRL:
brazilian literature fucking sucks

Philosophy is pretty much useless.

Only 19th century Russian literature is worth reading. Everything else is trash.

explain

But everyone agrees with that.

It's a romance in the Medieval tradition. Similar to the works of Chretien de Troyes and Wolfram von Eschenbach.

i think the next wave in literature is like a classics revival, something thats more anti academic like bukowski.

That's not really contrarian you stemcuck.

inb4 I have to agree with ye on that one

20th century russian lit>th century russian lit. Fact

I cried at the end of Persona 3

Art IS subjective and that is a objective opinion.

krleža is the GOAT

Which 20th century Russians are better than Dostoevsky, Tolstoy, Pushkin, Gogol...?

Philosophy's usefulness is in it's uselessness.

I'm reading the LOTR series for the first time right now and your comment is helping me make sense of it.

some people can't hack it and that's okay. go make bricks

not "in" but maybe "related to". maybe this relation: philosophy having the unique uses it does have depends on some properties, and these properties in turn ensure its uselessness in other more vulgarly appreciated areas.

literature is mind sex between intelligent free spirits and plebs call works "masturbatory" when they're too stupid to get off

Camus is a fantastic novelist but a shit philosopher.

i haven't seen anyone who's read it, but Anthem by Ayn Rand isn't bad

any prestige in any tradition is utterly illusory. only individual works have value, and aping them does not transfer it.

*all the things you thought didn't count as aping them still count as aping them

Nabakov sucks.

I disagree but I guess that's the point.

>giving a giant fucking ape a hammer and nails

What could go wrong?

Literally nobody I know would disagree (on the level of Croatian lit, of course - he's still not GOAT worldwide)

He was too good for this world

>It doesn't help me better serve the capitalist system as a middle class nobody so it must be useless.

Order of the Phoenix was the best Potter.

Everything DeLillo wrote that was not Underworld sucked.

Objectively wrong