Veeky Forums if i wanted to do a comparative study on TCL49 what other book should i choose?

Veeky Forums if i wanted to do a comparative study on TCL49 what other book should i choose?

Oh just choose any old book, you'll die after long enough either way

> >:(

Alice in Wonderland, yes seriously, think about it

holy fuck...

Terrible advice. Compare it, OP, to Moby Dick. It's American but also about transit-space, + it's also about the meaningless of the pursuit of essence.

Kisses xx,

user

*meaninglessness

not going to read about a guys borderline fetishistic obsession with whales

Just read the wikipedia, idiot.

Trace out The Crying of Lot 49 -> Pattern Recognition -> Bleeding Edge.

Can only do 2 books + Prof has done a comparison of TCOL49 + Bleeding edge

my diary desu

pls send me a transcript

entry(1) = "I woke up, and that's how this day was ruined."
entry(n) where n > 1 = entry(1)

Then do the Pattern Recognition part.

Foucault's Pendulum

That's actually a pretty good comparison. I read both of these within the last year.

You shouldn't be comparing texts with identical themes and identical executions. Moby Dick is the best response. You could chart the whole course of modernism with that; how it kind of starts with Moby Dick and ends around the publication of TCoL49. Bring in some Virginia Woolf in the middle and wax on about God and the confrontation of his absence and Nietzsche and how the process of this-waxing on led to the necessity of works like Pynchon's. Or something.

The Mahabharata, seeing as the coat scene is a direct reference to it. note how karma and the general forces connecting the events in the two works happen, and also compare visual metaphors like the streams of garments match Pynchon's reference to the weaving fates.

I'm not op, I was just seconding the other user's recommendation.

I think a good comparison between the two is in how they approach the reader's relationship to the conspiracies. In TCOL49 the reader is put in the main character's headspace and experiences the paranoia firsthand. Maas gets sucked into this world of conspiracies and we want to investigate it with her.

In FP, by contrast, the reader, like the main character, is kept at a distance from the conspiracies. We and they know it's all fake but don't realize until the end what damage has been done. It's known in advance that everyone has apophenia but we choose to go along anyways not knowing the consequences.

The books demonstrate the similarities and differences between "true believers" and cynical observers (both within each book and between the two).

sorry, I meant to respond to you in

The Process of Kafka.

compare it to simulation and simulacra

>it's also about the meaningless of the pursuit of essence

If anything Lot 49 is about how essential the pursuit is