What's your favorite thing to order to see if a restaurant's cook is worth a shit?

What's your favorite thing to order to see if a restaurant's cook is worth a shit?

Well done steak.

Why? To see if they cook it medium rare anyway, because you're obviously insane?

Chorizo sammich

French onion soup is a good one. Any sugar and I nope out of there.

For me it's usually if they can time meals properly so that the table's come at the same time. Been to many shit-tier places that make one person wait with food in front of them upwards of 20mins until the rest of us get our meals

Tri-tip roast.
Rare.
If he pulls it off I buy them a shot.
>mfw I had one send me a slab that was almost blue.
I wept when the place closed.

For me, it is the McChicken, the best fast food sandwich.

Depends on the cuisine and the time of day.

Over the course of a few months I tried Margarita pizzas from all of the Italian restaurants in my city within ordering distance, all of the most expensive places were trash and the best was a mid-range family owned place which is now my go to for Italian.

Eggs benedict

it's actually hard to find a place that does it well

>As a kid knew a dive hat did it perfect, but only did it on Wednesdays.
>It was the kind of dive where they lived right next to the dive, right next to the airport.
>10 years later I come back to the place and the place got bought out and replaced with a shit Mexican restaurant.
>Gordon would have lost his shit at the look of the place.
>Cried a little.

anyone who considers his order based on "testing the cook" is yelp-scum.
Order what you want to fucking eat like every normal person on this planet, itll tell you as much as any other dish about the kitchen

What if I know the cook?
What if I want to test the fucker because I am ordering off the menu and I better get something perfect for 50 bucks?
And we can have a drink later.

A glass of water. If they don't charge for it I know it's a true patrician top tier chef. If they do I empty the glass in their face and leave without paying.

I'd eat first and then leave without paying.
Tipping might be for cucks, but skipping on paying for the actual food is the final redpill.

If they fight me for the money and can stop be from leaving, I'll pay.

mussels

if I don't die or blow fountains out of my ass its a good sign

That happened because either
a) The cooks forgot to make it along with the rest of the order
or
b) The server/cook dropped it and they are rushing a replacement in the kitchen

t.cook of ten years

I came here to post the very same thing user. If they don't do it right it'll be a leathery piece shit, if done correctly it will still be tender and juicey but done all the way through. If they serve you a boot or a belt, they are just an asshole. Yes, a medium rare steak is better, but this, in my opinion, is a good way to test a chef.

This.

I order what I want to eat and that's the test.

I'm not writing reviews.

/thread

For me, it's the McGangBang, the best fast food sandwich. If you ask for it at your local Micky D's, and they give you a puzzled look, just ask for a McDouble with a McChicken between the patties.

I order the most expensive item on the menu and complain until I get comped.

Went to some hick place in Kentucky once where they did this. I got my food first, but I was incredibly fucking pissed at their lack of decorum. Flyover states are dogshit. New York is dogshit. Probably most people in California are dogshit, but I'd rather sequester myself off somewhere in that state than New York.

>Everywhere is dogshit

Woke.

What if I know the cook and really want to piss her off because I secretly hate her?

Rare steak or poached eggs... both if their steak and egg combo comes with an array of choices.

Eggs Benedict in whatever the weirdest form they have is... usually when hungover but adventurous.

Whatever the house specialty is

PB & J, extra crunchy.

I'll go with scallops. Tough scallops make me sad.

What pisses me off more than anything is when I show up with one other person and a huge group shows up after we've ordered and the group has their food cooked first while we wait forever. This has happened so many times and it never ceases to upset me.

spanish rice

Caesar salad

Hollandaise or pan fried mushroom.

Chicken strips.

>risotto
>red sauce/mother sauces in general
>pasta
>well-done steak
>the chef's tasting menu

all those are pretty good tests that most chefs won't pass. also, the proper amount of salt/seasoning on dishes is a dead giveaway.

A single plum, floating in perfume, served in a man's hat.

If I'm eating at an Italian restaurant for the first time, I always try the ragu Bolognese

When a restaurant garnishes with chives, I always notice the quality of the knife cuts. Are the chives fine, even? or are the cooks in DGAF mode/cutting with a dull knife? big no-no if so

In terms of both quality and menu design, I think that a salad says a lot. How nice and fresh are the greens? Is the salad composed nicely? How much vinaigrette am I getting, and how strong is it?

Just a few off the top of my head

I'm gonna fuck you up if I ever encounter you IRL

all solid tests..

if the chives are bruised and not thin as fuck, that's a huge sign of a kitchen that doesn't pay attention to detail. idc if you have to take 20 minutes to cut the chives; make them perfect.

My nigga. The world needs more chefs like you.

sometimes i feel insane yelling at somebody about fucked up chives or sending a dish out without toasted hazelnuts, but that's the shit that separates the good from the great.

if you let shitty chives slide, what other things are you not paying attention to? it's basic and to not make suire its perfect is just being lazy