Your end-game lit

Just pulled the trigger on 5 Joseph Mcelroy books i have been looking for (for years. refusing to order them online because i like to hunt).

- Lookout cartridge
- Cannonball
- Night soul and other stories
- Smugglers bible
- Actress in the house
- Ancient history: a paraphrase

This is it for me lads. After these books im out of here. I have nothing left to read but obscure lit and i wont do it anymore. Time for a new hobby. I'll make some threads about each book when i'm done (which no one will reply to) and that's that. Anyone read any of these?

what are your endgame books. where will it end?

>Just pulled the trigger on 5 Joseph Mcelroy books
>lists 6 books

>none of them are Women and Men

Am I alone in thinking there's little to no value in reading that book? It's purely intellectual masturbation to plod through that shit. And worse, it's not even fun masturbation.

The Dice Man
The Fan Man
Been Down So Long It Looks Like Up to Me
Lanark
Trueman Bradley
Swann's Way

If it's not Women and Men it's not endgame literature

I'm reading all of the most important Epic and Long-Form poems. So Far I'm getting or have:

Gilgamesh
Homer 1&2
Aeneid
Metamorphoses
Canterbury Tales
Beowulf
Cantar Di Mio Cid
Indian Bible thing
Leaves of Grass
Paradise Lost
Faeire Queen
Some Iranian Epic
The Maximus Poems
The Cantos
Song of Roland
A
Finnigans Wake
The Divine Comedy

looking to add to obvs, sorry if i missed something big ( i probably did)

>Iranian Epic
Shahnameh?

Probably
Also that Somali epic where they go 'namuuuuu'

save yourself the trouble and skip the books and just leave

In terms of more poems, I'd rec
Paterson (WCW)
The Prelude (Wordsworth)
Don Juan (Byron)
Song of Myself (Whitman)
Hyperion (Keats)
Fall of Hyperion (also Keats)

check out some of your poets' shorter work as well: Anew (Zukofsky), Personae (Pound), etc. - and there're quite a few prominent poets without epics, so make sure you read around.

I disagree, but I can see where you're coming from. I was definitely put off for the first fifty or so pages, barring the first lowercase chapter, because it takes a long fucking time for the flavor to stew in.

Endgame books:
- Clarissa
- Finnegans Wake
- Zettels Traum / Bottom's Dream
- The Mahabharata
- In the Realms of the Unreal
- Crazy House: Further Adventures in Chicago
- The History of My Life

And definitely read W&M, OP - it's well worth the struggle. Maybe wait for the Dzanc reprint though.
Also, McElroy is insanely good, but don't think that you're done with literature just because you've read him.

Was Henry Darger's stuff ever published?

Only in excerpts (Bonesteel's "Art and Selected Writings", Lerner's "Disasters of War", and MacGregor's colossal study).
The only reason I'm doing a PhD is so that I can gather credibility enough to write papers on him and eventually edit them myself (if that hasn't already been done by then).
Hence them being endgame; if I can get it done, then I can die happy, and if someone does it first, then I don't really have much else to live for.

Good luck user. I look forward to reading them

There's an out-of-print coffee table book that includes excerpts from In The Realms of the Unreal along with his collages, but it goes for hundreds of dollars.

womem and memes. how's the rest of his work?

I also would like to know. I've heard his prose is godlike. can anyone confirm.

Sunjata.

It's coming back, so there's no real reason to worry about the huge price it is now

joyous

Yeah!

What books can you guys recommend to me? this is very broad but I'm trying to read outside of the typical Veeky Forums canon. (& I can tell from your posts that you probably are well-versed)