What's Veeky Forums's experience with meditation? Have you done it long enough to get any benefits?

What's Veeky Forums's experience with meditation? Have you done it long enough to get any benefits?

Other urls found in this thread:

coursera.org/learn/mindfulness
coursera.org/learn/buddhist-meditation
biologyofkundalini.com/article.php@story=AgeandKundalini.html
vipassana.com/meditation/mindfulness_in_plain_english.php
youtu.be/T8hIPdqeKts
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I suddenly became able to control my hiccup reflex after practicing meditation for a couple weeks.

>Done it long enough to receive benefits
>Done it

i'm 1 week into this class

coursera.org/learn/mindfulness

i'd say it's already been beneficial just learning about it (there's some audio recordings for guided meditations included), planning on reading some of the books they mention too (Jon Kabat-Zinn's 'Full Catastrophe Living' and 'Wherever You Go, There You Are: Mindfulness Meditation in Everyday Life')

coursera.org/learn/buddhist-meditation

best thing ever, I was able to be calm more in my stressful job and have many other benefits.

Such as?

I can get into a theta state (pleasant dayingdream) easily, but that's not exactly the point of most meditative practices. It's the distraction. I've pushed passed this several times into a gamma state (extreme relaxation, semi-paralysis). Then I got the kriyas and then somewhat spontaneously days later I got the Kundalini.

Hope you can get there too. It's awesome and better than anything else in life.

Last year an user posted some vague advice on increasing IQ dramatically via meditation. He didn't say what type though.

>▶
I don't think that mediation necessarily increases IQ, but with almost any sort of mediation, you'd see two benefits that might give the illusion of increased IQ:
>1. Deeply increased sense of calm and relaxation, which lends itself to creativity and problem solving.
> 2. Helps train a 'naive' mind; recognizing and looking past one's concepts of something to look more deeply at the thing itself.

The second one can be difficult to explain. The most effective way I've found to explain it is to consider somebody looking at a tree. Most people look at the tree and move on, They already have a preconceived notion of 'tree' in their mind, and this comes to their mind the moment that they see the tree, and they walk on.

However, their preconceived notion of 'tree' is not the tree, nor is it any tree. Instead, one must look directly at the tree and perceive it and its unique qualities directly.

How did you studied? What books? What teachers?

>Then I got the kriyas and then somewhat spontaneously days later I got the Kundalini.
What does this even mean?

yoga power levels

I am able to think better, I have restful sleep... overall, everything is better!

it improves the quality of breath, I also use cold showers to spontaneously experience this specific benefit, whatever bonus and spillover advantages there are, I can't say.

aaaaand this right here is why people say fuck off to /x/ when someone mentions meditation

Jelly?

He must be. How hard is it to get there?

Dont it for a few years (15-30 min a day). At the end of the day it's an avoidance tool (hurr durr le using it wrong). If something is upsetting you. Take action. Don't fucking meditate.

I have been doing it 13 years, for what it's worth.

Ask me anything. I follow Guru Rinpoche lineage.

What is the farthest you have ever seen into the future?

There's no future. It's literally our collective invention

>f something is upsetting you. Take action. Don't fucking meditate.

You do both ya dingus.

Being mindful is the opposite of escapism

But then you are doing it wrong. If you're using it as an avoidance tool, then you're by definition using it wrong.

Fucking faker.

Am not.

jesus christ that sounds pretentious

re-reading it, I did make it sound pretentious.

I could honestly just say its the equivalent of "learning to stop and smell the roses" but in a broader sense, but I also hate cliches.

I hope it still made sense though.

I have a genetic disease that sort of mimics a vegetarian diet. It's called Kelley-Seegmiller Syndrome. That probably helps. I don't get the negative effects like anemia, but I do get the b12 deficiency symptoms. I occasionally go days at a time with a twitch.

Plus I had a very traumatic childhood with several near death brushes. I say brushes, because I didn't have the "near death experiences" like people talk about. That and a somewhat abusive home life.

So whenever I start fasting to lose weight and meditating to stay sane I start getting a little weird, but every 5-10 years it'll turn into a full blown Kundalini experience. There's theories as to why the 7 yr interval exists here:

biologyofkundalini.com/article.php@story=AgeandKundalini.html

Very good website. Probably one of best sources on science and Kundalini.

It does sound like that. I remember reading that same analogy in The Power of Now and it came off the same way.

But meditation is experiential so I won't judge things like that until I've done it long enough to know what I'm talking about

I think that might be a benefit you get from meditation but not everyone.

It all comes down to clearing your mind and stepping out of your shoes so to speak. Then when you step back into those shoes you have less thoughts clouding your mind. Kind of like clearing the cache on a computer.

It's not like you can't stop and smell the roses whenever, so maybe you can find more peace by trying to "stop and smell the roses" without meditation

It's great. I recommend everyone ITT do the research themselves, and try it, if they want to know more.

Don't fall for the western vipassana meme studies. Sure there are some studied and observable benefits, but meditation as a vehicle for certain ontological and psychological understandings is great by its own merit. Also don't go on courses or guided meditations or any of that stuff. There is enough readily available, and free information out there.

There's literally nothing wrong with going to a free course if you have the spare time and the determination. If you want to go from 0-100, it's incredibly helpful.

I just do it casually. It helps about as much as a deep thinking session, but I prefer the productivity of the latter. Meditation might be good for relaxing, but staring at those trees in my backyard and thinking about my life usually gives me some good ideas.

Seems like you haven't researched meditation properly. Your are meditating though, but in the western meaning of the word.

You're probably right, but I'm fairly content with the way I currently do it. Maybe I'll look up a specific style just for fun.

>Don't fall for the western vipassana meme studies.
What do you mean? That's just a particular kind of mediation. What kind are you advocating?

>Meditation might be good for relaxing
That's not what meditation is about.

You're looking at it wrong. It's not something you immediately benefit from. Sure there are some short term benefits like relaxation, but the real ones are from consistent practice. Think of it more as a workout session for your mind. You don't pack on pounds of muscle by lifting sporadically.

I'm not advocating anything specific. I'm telling people to look into it without a bias and to not be fooled by the memetic and aesthetic pretenses surrounding meditation in the west, where the particular things is vipassana.

vipassana.com/meditation/mindfulness_in_plain_english.php

Well here this might change your mind. It's a very straight forward, practical explanation and guide to vipassana, no Buddhism or mystical nonsense required.

You misunderstood my post. I do vipassana, I've read that book also.

Oh cool. My b

Not exactly what I was trying to get at, but close. I meant more along the lines of learning to look at things directly without concepts, if that makes any more sense.

It is experiential and I feel like that's part of the problem of what I'm trying to explain.

What I'm trying to get across (minus the drugs):
youtu.be/T8hIPdqeKts

It's like things taking on a new layer of reality, beyond the words that we use to describe them, and learning to see that and appreciate it every day.

I think what he may have been referring to was the tendency to push meditation for the wrong reasons in the west, tending to show studies that it can reduce blood pressure and stress and such, rather than for the actual reasons meditation is practiced, to cultivate calmness, mindfulness, concentration, and an understanding of the self.

bump

bumping this too.

r/meditation actually has some not bullshit resources on it. As much as I'm biased against reddit, that's pretty difficult to find.

"Mindfullness in Plain English" is also a pretty solid resource and is available for free download.