>i.imgur.com/IBs9KE8.jpg
>General:
>i.imgur.com/r55ODlL.jpg
>i.imgur.com/gNTrDmc.jpg
>NPR's Top 100 Science Fiction & Fantasy Books:
>i.imgur.com/IJxTQBL.jpg

Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

therpgsite.com/showthread.php?7338-Gandalf-was-only-a-Fifth-Level-Magic-User!
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Deadhouse gates never felt bleak to me.

And it turned out mostly ok for so many of the characters.

Any opinions on Paolo Bagicalupi? I like his short stories, they've got a dystopian Philip K Dick kind of feel.

Das Chart

>Gandalf still has not arrived to take me on an adventure

WHAT THE FUCK, YOU BEARDED OLD FAGGOT

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Is Revelation Space actually good?

The Windup Girl is good (2009); I enjoyed the post-electrical-grid dystopian setting as well as the Thai locale. I haven't read his short stories, but I seem to recall reading that Pump Six shares the same fictional world as The Windup Girl. Not sure though.

I recently read The Water Knife (2015), which isn't bad either, but in my opinion not quite as good as The Windup Girl — recommended if you enjoy his writing, but I would get The Windup Girl first.

What do you guys think of F. Paul Wilson? I picked up The Tomb by him and thought it was decent but was technically part of 2 different stories of his intertwining and was wondering if it's worth it to pick more up if I'm gonna be going through near 10 books

I'll start with Wind Up Girl then. Thanks user!

Gray Moon Over China, Thomas A. Day. Read it so I'm not alone in my suffering.

Is there a book where the main character is an unnamed rank and file soldier? Which one?

You could try Fifteen Hours by Michael Scanlon, it's a Warhammer 40K book and you -might- need some basic understanding of the setting but it's a standalone story about how much it sucks to be part of the Imperial Guard in a shitty wartorn future

>Warhammer 40K book

All I've read was Ship Breaker and I absolutely loved it, but it wasn't as depressing as his other books. Haven't read those because I've heard they're downers.

>not becoming the Gandalf
only 2 1/2 years left for me

>unnamed main characters
But Johnny Rico is pretty rank-and-file. Probably try looking for more SFF by WWII veterans.

Yeah, I know
W40K is dumb as hell and is ruled by cool but 15 Hours is still a solid gritty scifi read. I didn't get any of the "Haha this is fucking ridiculous" tone I get from any of the other good Black Library shit, one of the few solid good ones
That being said user if you don't read it I hope you find what you're looking for

40k has so many books authored by so many different writers that the law of averages guarantees that some of them will be readable. I read the Gaunt's Ghost and Eisenhorn series when I was a teen and I remember liking them. No idea how they'd hold up to me now.

Anyone read David Gemmell? What's his best work supposed to be?

The Red Badge of Courage.

I wouldn't consider the two novels I've mentioned downers per se. That said, both books are fairly dystopian, so plenty of suffering, environmental collapse, and bleak outlooks. Not more than usual for the genre though.

Legend

In my subjective opinion, yes. One of my favorites.

Does anybody know where I can get Ted Chiang's Story of Your Life? Can't find it anywhere online.

>The Unholy Gonsult :DDDD

so when's it coming out?

>You will follow orders. You will keep your eyes and ears open. You will watch your comrades’ backs, just as they will watch yours. But most of all, there will be no heroics. No fool-hardiness. No unnecessary risks. This is Broucheroc, Larn. There are no heroes here: the orks keep killing them.

Hey cosmerefag, does hoid have a shard?
Is he a god? He knows all the shards.

IIRC the first Paksenarrion series starts out with the main character running away to be a soldier, though the rest of the series is more epic fantasy in nature.

In the Back Company books Croaker is the company's surgeon. So not quite a officer but not quite a line soldier. Cook's Instrumentalities of the Night series also has a main character who starts out as a soldier and ends up getting sent to spy while posing as a mercenary.

Most of the viewpoint characters in the Hammer's Slammers stories are either enlisted soldiers or lower-rank noncoms/officers at the tip of the spear.

The Shadow Empires series has two viewpoint characters who respectively start out as a infantryman (cough) and a lower-rank officer who's ended up in command because everybody over him got themselves killed.

What are this month's new fantasy releases?

hey NYfags. What's the best place to sit and read this time of year? Somewhere indoors and public with a big west-facing window and nice urban scenery

Morningstar was kind of retarded but still very entertaining for a standalone.

Like 6 months or so

>Braise da Logos :DDD

>IIRC the first Paksenarrion series starts out with the main character running away to be a soldier, though the rest of the series is more epic fantasy in nature.
Paks is:
Book one: Entirely military, Paks is at most a file leader. Has a big set piece outside of military formation but it's still believable and very low magic military.
IIRC the most magic is Paks not dying to a magic user but she's still useless against them

Then Book 2: Is outside of military, paladin (so magic) training and heroic struggle
Book 3: Being a Paladin, but it all ties back into her military days

Author is ex-military so she creates a very believable military life of the characters even if her irl experience is modern so there's little direct comparison.

Each book's about 800 pages so it's a fair whack of rank and file soldier stuff before it goes into a more standard fantasy story.

This might apply

Bloundsounders arc has the mc being a completely untrained writer who is there observing characters doing fighting rather than doing it themselves.

So if your interest is purely in them not being the heroic focal point it might apply

Although I wouldn't heavily recommend it, it's very sub-black company. Also can't comment on the later books as I'm finishing up the first

>lvl 30 wizard in 2 and a half years
Are you gonna go out in a self sacrificial ritual?

Or are you gonna give all your sroted up mana to some witch, who in turn will use your own power against you?

Just a wizard, not a double wizard. Besides, Gandalf is only level 5. therpgsite.com/showthread.php?7338-Gandalf-was-only-a-Fifth-Level-Magic-User!
And I'm gonna do what everyone should do, get married or try getting married harder s m h

Probably Starbucks desu, that's where the hipster trash usually goes.

Undying Mercenaries, but he gains the attention of others (superiors) novel after novel. It was a fun read desu.

for

I read The Water Knife and found it had an unpleasantly modern the-climate-is-hurting-brown-people! vibe to it. But the ending was stronger than I thought it would be so I wound up forgiving it.

I might try the Wind Up Girl.

It's too late

The person you originally replied to now has to take that recommendation and read the entire series

Well I'm a lvl 26 wizard, and I don't plan on giving any witch my stored mana reserves.

nope, though it's implied he was present for the Shattering. he's from Yolen.

Any good action scifi set exclusively on a planet, at most with some travel between them?

I don't really like space stuff

Ahh that is why fuzz made 16 metals, to remind him that there are 16 shards.

DON'T JUDGE ME.

Also Dogzard.

>bookz only has copies of the later books in the series right now
Posting this so I can check in the morning

starbucks are dark and crowded. Maybe I can go to the union square barnes and nobles, but I'll need to get a good seat

What is a medieval book with good court intrigue and manipulation. Maybe love?

Would prefer if told from woman's perspective

the "T's" and the blonde forward-thrusting facade of the figure's crown suggest Trump.

This is a good thing.

Simple question for you geniuses. What is the best fanatastic aspect that any respectable yaoi fiction must contain?

The mystical power of the dick.

>women in combat
Why does Baen allow this?

Abnormal hands.

Baen allows chicks in combat, not sure about women

Anybody read Edge Chronicles when they were a kid? I used to love that shit, but I've never met anyone else who's even heard of it.

>No updates on The Core for 11 months

ehh

Lol ridiculous. Something very subtle.

I recognise the name but I can't remember a single thing about it. I have the same thing with Deltora Quest, I suspect I've sustained brain damage at some point since then.

That moment when you find out that the *tugs her braid* meme is actually real.

What a shame. Totally drestroys the immersion.

That series was my shit. I love how there are like a dozen different species of goblin

I have no idea how Wheel gained popularity in the first place. It's not like anything sets it apart from the million other Tolkien clones.

Wheel set itself apart by not being anything like Tolkien.

Where did these come from? I know it's Book of the New Sun but I was unaware there was a comic adaptation.

Shit, I thought book 3 was supposed to be one of the best. I can't stand those 3 bitches parts.

what are some fantasy books where the story mostly follows the antagonist from their perspective?

Soon I Will Be Invincible.

is it unreasonable that i'm getting a dr horrible vibe from this

They're both supervillain stories, but SIWBI goes into a lot more depth with its characters, and also plays everything completely straight. No deconstruction here.

alright i might check it out, thanks

Tragedy.
Win the Hugos.
Be kawaii desu.

Women using their vaginas to manipulate men in power?

Plenty, someone will give you specific title.

I enjoy the shit out of that series.
Weber is a good mix with Ringo. He seems to tone down Ringo's jingoistic style.

I remember kinda liking this and hoping for a sequel with the diamond(?) lady.

Maybe he is a male seamen deamen, who absorbs souls from people's chest with his hands.
Maybe he is going to feed.

>when you're looking for some obscure fantasy series but it would be more convent to just buy the paperbacks instead of dealing with converting some OCR'd HTML/PDF from the late 90s into a modern format because you can't just buy a ebook

I mean yeah I'd expect this from authors that published something and then disappeared like J.F Rivkin or Robert Frezza, but Stackpole not having a way to buy the DragonCrown books is just strange, especially when he's got older (non-starwars) books with kindle editions.

>mfw I'm overflowing with exciting, original ideas but when I force myself to write it's like squeezing water from a rock

>Inatirg badly OCRaid 90s
> eloooks

> ////

>file://c:/Austin's Stuff/books/fantasy/dark fantasy/to_kill_a_god_by_stevian_heartbound.doc

>retards who enjoy fantasy and science fiction somehow think manga, video games, and film are valid ways to present the genre
When will these fucking mongs realize every visual medium will succumb to style over substance that ekes the fantastic out of fantasy without the necessary soul?

stop you're triggering me

>every medium
ftfy

Literature literally cannot be style over substance, unless you're James Joyce or some shit.

Someone answered you in the last thread you filthy fagget.

>literature cannot be style over substance unless it is
Anyway the Shannara books that aren't literally paint-by-numbers LotR are absolutely style-over-substance magic pew-pew CRAWLING IN MY SKIN soulless fantasy.

>ywn give consult a blowjob and swallow his black semen

The person you replied to rather than the one you meant to reply to here

I'm reading this and it's really fun
>battle stops for a bureaucratic argument about the rules of war
brilliant

plebs

If you're gonna shitpost at least put in the effort to learn his name.

Pew