Why isn't Don Quixote talked about more often? Not only is it the first modern novel...

Why isn't Don Quixote talked about more often? Not only is it the first modern novel, its also a legitimately a good book.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBD9EC777A7CD519D
theguardian.com/world/2002/may/08/humanities.books
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_works_influenced_by_Don_Quixote
merriam-webster.com/dictionary/quixotic
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tilting_at_windmills
youtube.com/watch?v=RfHnzYEHAow
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>babby's first classic

never heard of it. It like the godfather?

Controversy breeds discussion. That DQ is good is not controversial.

Because plebs here dont read

But I never hear it mentioned in any list of classics. Whenever I meet people who read it they it was because they had to in Spanish class back in high school/college. Only a few claimed to like it. I'm reading it in my free time and love. It's an underrated and lesser known classic, and I want it to be discussed more.

Cos u r new

It's not underrated, just lesser known. It's a wonderful book. If you want to see discussion about it try generating some yourself. What about the book would you like to discuss? What observations have you made?

It's discussed here a fair amount, and indeed appears on lists of classics here. All of western canon to choose from, and you can't go a week here without a Quixote thread, I'd say it's doing alright.

I've put off reading this book because I want to read it in Spanish. I've studied Spanish for a year and have read a few books (translated YA literature and some Garcia Marquez), and Don Quijote is still completely fucking nonsensical to me. Is there any way I'll ever be able to read it without just powering through with a dictionary, then rereading it a second time?

What do you want reddit to circlejerk it into Veeky Forums hating it?

It is respected and loved by anyone with a basic grasp on the human condition.

Don Quixote is hardly lesser known.
One of the greatest authors hailed from an era of the greatest authors in history.

For me, I attempted to read the full text after reading a fairly sizable abridgement as a youth, and though I loved the story then, the second half anyway, now I had a bit of trouble enjoying its relative simplicity compared to more modern literature. I guess you can't go home again, eh?

No. It's written in Spanish thats like 400 years old. It's pretty hard reading your native language when it's 400 years old, a second language is only gonna make it brutal. Just read a translation, it isn't a book that gets talked about because of it's prose or anything.

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBD9EC777A7CD519D

Don Quixote. A cruel and crude old book.

Nr 1 Veeky Forumss beloved, finest author: Borges said that Don Kichote is "non-necessary". So i dont know who to trust

>Pleb thread

Here, I'll save it.

>The Life and Opinions of Tristram Shandy, Gentlemen

Veeky Forums never talks about it. Fun fact, Schopenhauer loved it.

first post modern

and because its a comedy, and comedies arent regarded as intellectual. and with where we are now with pomo and new sincere (or whatever the fuck you want to call it), the community discourages anything that isnt dramatic

not sure what to make of your post, I'm not keen on spending my time forcing myself to like something i have already adequately enjoyed at one point in my life when i can move on to enjoy texts that i will enjoy effortlessly. I appreciate the sentiment, though.

that shit is hard as hell for me to read. Ulysses was an easier feat for me. All the joking at my expense as a reader, I just couldn't escape the need for non-digressional linear works.

lol

deep bro

fun fact: Borges read it first in English

It was voted the greatest book of all time in 2002, in a poll of some of the best living authors. It's far from being underrated or "lesser known".

>Only a few claimed to like it.
Well it's no Twilight or Harry Potter.

Nonsense.

Talked about so little that it was voted one of Veeky Forumss top ten favorite books.

>lesser known

yup, never fucking heard of it

theguardian.com/world/2002/may/08/humanities.books

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_works_influenced_by_Don_Quixote

merriam-webster.com/dictionary/quixotic

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tilting_at_windmills

It has its own word (Quixotic) and a musical.
youtube.com/watch?v=RfHnzYEHAow

>The first modern novel
>Not Genji Monogatari

It's lesser known among people who don't read. It's not Moby-Dick or anything like that.

>Moby-Dick
>being this american centric
either ironic or retardation if you think that moby dick is more popular and influential that don quixote

>Don Quixote
>Don Kee-ho-tay
>Donkey hotay
>there's a donkey in the book

BRAVO

Yeah but I rarely hear my mates talk about it like they do Moby-Dick

Maybe because you lads are filthy anglophones

It's true friend

Borges, its literally, the only person who likes it

whats there to talk about? everyone who reads it agrees its one of the best ever, and its length normally discourages people who start it and don't like it to just put it down and stop. the books that get lengthy threads are mediocre polarizing books and the "discussion" is people shitting on eachother's opinions and the work itself.

>Using the word literally figuratively
Absolutely disgusting.

Hey OP have you read this cool obscure gem nobody talks about called War & Peace?

>It's not Moby-Dick
Does Moby-Dick have a musical?

Source?

Actually havent, and I love tolstoy.
Its just the length that is putting me off, because Im trying to find the "perfect" time to read it, like in a non-busy holiday or something, but I never quite feel its the right time.

Oh wow another person that loves Tolstoy? I thought I was the only person who knew about him.

It does have an opera.

I read Don Quixote last month.

Seemed really repetitive. Not sure why it's considered so good. Yeah, there's some good humor and satire in there, but I feel like there's a lot of stuff that was kind of unnecessary.

I also just finished it. The only part I thought got sort of played out was the duke/duchess section. They spent so much time there and I felt like it stalled the action for too long. The rest usually added some kind of spin on their adventuring that was interesting enough to keep it engaging imo

Was he trying to say something about the human condition with DQ?
Are we all perhaps DQ?
Or does DQ and SP show the two different fundamental ways humans go about life?

idk m8 but listening to sancho's life philosophies was the comfiest shit i dun read all year

It was written with the mindset that it will be read out loud to an audience probably(since it is fucking 1k pages) not a in a single sitting. Keep that in mind

Maybe just start reading it anyway since it unlikely you will find the "right" time for powering through it in a couple of days given how long it is anyway

>modern novel

No.

>Don Quixote and Rocinante looking that unambiguously regal

Don't let neoclassicists do your artwork kids

>It's not underrated, just lesser known.
i hope you really don't believe this.

Kek.

Genji was the fist novel.

>don quixote is lesser known

delete this board

>Is there any way I'll ever be able to read it without just powering through with a dictionary, then rereading it a second time?

Yes. Read many more books in spanish, and then read many times in english (5-10. Try with 5) toward you known of memory.

I believe I can fly...

Yes. It was also the first modern novel.
inb4 wah wah it's too old to be called modern but my 400 year old book isn't.

No the first modern novel. The FIRST novel.

you posted it twice and still fucked it up

Tale of Genji

I rarely visit this board, but every time I do there's a thread about that book OP.

I think you need to reread what I wrote because you somehow missed the only point of two sentences.

Vladimir pls go

pierre menard

yup, human condition is just farts, shit, and madness

Then make better mates m8.

My friend, perhaps you should review your definition of "modern".

Kill yourself

DQ is the last romantic hero in an era that has gone non-romantic. He is the only character who sees in a book full of blind characters that ironically make fun of him for it. Sancho realizes that at the end, when Don Quixote has gone completely sceptic. It's actually a ver tragic book.

This board suffers from insufferable burger syndrome. Combine that with the >translations meme, the fact that most threads here are either bait or about bad books that can be turned into memes (greatest specimen: IJ) and there's your answer.

Could a non pleb please explain the ending for me?
Was he actually mad?

I think you missed the point of the story. The narrator praised Menard's Quijote even though it was word-for-word the same as Cervantes

The fuck is wrong with you.

I hope you read some fucked-up Polack translation.

More like Fight Club. The movie, not the musical.

Plen here, his madness and optimism are one and the same. Everyone throughout the book is trying to either prove he is insane or help him get to his senses. Only once he regains his sanity do they realize how needed the existence of his optimism was in a no longer romantic world.