Why is lamb virtually completely absent from American cooking?

Why is lamb virtually completely absent from American cooking?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheep_Wars
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I only really noticed this once I moved out of the states and started seeing ground lamb and other lamb products in every grocery store

It's really a shame, I love lamb as much as or more than beef

It's only absent in flyover territory

I see it everywhere. Most restaurants, every grocery store. Kill yourself.

It's only absent on the coasts.

100 years ago cowherds got upset at shepherds ruining all the prime grasslands
Tempers flew and shots were fired, eventually the cowherds slaughtered the hated sheep by the thousands

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheep_Wars

because it costs a lot

This.

Not to mention, Kentucky has a strong tradition of BBQing lamb and mutton. It's well known all over the country.

Lamb is regionally popular. Many folks make it for Easter. And it appears in the home cooking of Americans with South Asian, Mediterranean and Middle Eastern roots. One of the oldest and most famous restaurants in NYC is Keene's, and the mutton chop is their signature dish. The mini-empire of Western Chinese restaurants Xi'an Famous Foods has a lamb centered menu.

I think in some parts of the country people have a prejudice against lamb. Might be the legacy of the Sheep Wars. Where beef is king you don't see all that much lamb.

>sheep wars
Interesting stuff. Never heard about it

>Americans criticize other countries for loading wars to animals
>the only animal they ever fought was fucking lambs

>loading wars to animals
What did he mean by this?

Am I the only one for whom lamb tastes like rotten meat?
I hate the smell, the taste, the texture.

It isn't if you live in a more diverse place or in larger cities. I can buy lamb at damn near any restaurant here, even diners sometimes serve lamb dishes. And every upscale place or middle eastern and mediterranean place will be serving lamb, so you can either have perfectly cooked fine lamb dishes, or you can get a cheap but tasty lamb shawarma or lamb stuffed flatbread, or middle of the road lamb shanks, etc etc. It's everywhere.

Did you by chance eat lamb one time ever and it was rotten, because the meat being rotten would explain it tasting rotten, dipshit

That's utter and complete bullshit. What kind of delusional world do you live in?

You called me names so I will not talk to you.

Did you by chance eat lamb one time ever and it was rotten, because the meat being rotten would explain it tasting rotten, friend.

Because murritos can't cook.

I'd love to make lamb more often but it's usually very expensive due to it being an "exotic" meat and the demand isn't very high due to the culture.

Most people in American have probably never even tried lamb, which is a shame because it has such a distinct and strong flavor.

America isn't sheep country. Too dry, no hilly grassy fields that aren't suitable for much else, no market for wool.

Can be a bit funky or fatty to me. But not always.

You could probably find it easy enough if you looked. Farm on my street has a herd, as does the butcher on my street, and hip restaurants probably serve it.

Also, some people make leg of lamb for Christmas.

Irish stew is part of every pubs menu, everywhere I've ever gone. Also on every menu, of every jerk shop I've ever gone to.

You probably just had some really gamey lamb.

Nah, gamey is far from rotten.

Retard alert

Our main fiber source was cotton, historically, so there was less need to keep sheep around. Also, pork and especially beef were also much more widely available and were eaten more often because they had higher prestige in the source countries for immigrants than mutton.

these. Various historical and cultural factors have led to lamb not being very popular in the heartland outside of special occasions, whereas later immigration waves from lamb-eating countries resulted in it having a much higher degree of popularity on the coasts.

>Eli's Wool Gin

Seriously fuck off with this flyover nonsense.