How do I make my pork chops not taste like bland pieces of shit?

How do I make my pork chops not taste like bland pieces of shit?

Pic semi-related, breading these fuckers is like putting lipstick on a pig

Season and fry in butter. BUTTER.

Don't cook them for half an hour to start...

Just like with chicken, salt the meat beforehand and spice the coating appropriately. Pounding it flat also helps by increasing the breading-meat ratio

Mine aren't that well-done, which is why I said semi-related. I don't have a good picture of my chops handy.

This usually does it for me.

S c h n i t z e l
T o n k a t s u

I said breading it didn't really help much, unless I'm missing something. Sure, you have the tasty breading on the outside, but in the middle it's just a bland fucking piece of pork, and I can't stand it. Why make it instead of any other form of meat? The breading would be just as good and the meat would be better.

don't overcook them and don't get garbage ones from the supermarket.

Stop overcooking it dingus

Also there's slightly more preparation involved with schnitzel and tonkatsu than mere breading

Do it right and it's the most delicious meat on God's green earth

I used to overcook them. I've since improved in that regard and still find them tasteless.

Is the trick to use as little pork as possible? Is it impossible to have a decent chunk of pork without a vehicle of breading to make it palatable?

>Is the trick to use as little pork as possible?

The trick is to season and cook it properly.

>pork almost always prepared with no breading
>is it possible to make pork good without breading?
user..

my go-to porkchop thing is:
1 clove finely minced garlic
2tbs lea&perrins sauce
2tbs sesame oil
1tsp hot curry paste
1tbs honey, preferrably liquid

mix it all, salt&pepper the chops and marinade them in the mix for a few hours.
fry in rapeoil on med-high, turning over once, sprinkle with roasted sesame when serving.

pork chops have always been awful food. only the Germans managed to make it good, not great. use a different meat if you want breaded

>Season it

With what? Unless I'm missing some major secret ingredients I can't imagine I'm seasoning it too poorly.

My main issue with the pork chop is that virtually any other form of meat given similar treatment produces superior results.

>My main issue with the pork chop is that virtually any other form of meat given similar treatment produces superior results.

Okay? So go eat something else and leave the rest of who can cook them properly to eat the delicious pork chops. Enjoy your other meat.

Just saying, I won't even bother buying pork chops unless I can get the 1 inch - 1 1/2 inch thick bone-in pork chops. Otherwise, you're dealing with a lean cut that cooks too fast and will inevitably come out dry and bland, even if you fry it, and marinating or brining them only helps a tiny bit. It's like buying a "breakfast" steak instead of a NY Strip. (except you can eat the breakfast steak rare, while you can't do that with pork chops).

What is a marinade?

The issue I'm having is that I'm not understanding how you "cook them properly" beyond "good seasoning" and "don't overcook them", which are great general tips for virtually any form of meat, but unless you have some miracle seasoning or secret cooking method, the pork chop is bland compared to any other meat and the delicious breading is putting lipstick on a pig, like I stated in my OP post.

No shit salt and breading are delicious, they'd taste great on virtually any meat. My question is how to give pork chop the treatment that actually makes it worth eating a pork chop in, say, breading, as opposed to another form of meat, and your condescending tone aside I don't think you've really explained it in too much detail. The basic technique of things like schnitzel would be better served to weiner schnitzel- there's no reason to use the pork.

so you don't like pork? why are you mad at other people that you don't like pork?

don't buy it? don't eat it?

>Bone in

Is this the trick to it?

Any suggestions for a marinade, as per

Other cuts of the pig can be damn delicious, I'm just having trouble wrapping my head around the idea that the chop has any redeeming value.

For example, bacon. Bacon has a distinct taste in terms of what it brings to a dish.

What redeeming value is there in the pork flavor of a pork chop -mostly because there basically isn't any, as far as I can tell- and what secret method do you have to unlock it? Obviously you never want to hammer your meat and basic seasonings are a given, so if you're going to act like there isn't some specific way to flavor the pork or cook it, then there's no point. And if the only secret is not to figuratively hammer the meat, literally hammer the meat thin, and then mask the lack of flavor in breading, then we're basically done talking.

>I think pork is bland what can I do to make pork taste good
>put salt on it and don't overcook
>I do that already but it's still bland why is pork so bland
>put salt on it
>guys come on why is pork tasteless why can't I taste anything
>s a l t
>I guess pork is just tasteless trash for plebs I'm going to make boiled chicken or something

>Any suggestions for a marinade
Read the thread again, you dense fucker.

also, no more tips but git gud. honestly, there isn't much to a porkchop, breaded or not, and I don't get how you fuck it up. aks your butcher for a perfect cut, salt, pepper and bread that mf and pan it. if its still too bland for you, don't do chops anymore.
idk if you're trolling or if you're really that stuck

Heavily season the egg

terriaki marinade

I don't know I almost never cook pork chops but when I do they aren't that bad. Usually I just avoid chops in favor of a big center cut pork loin. A lot more versatile and always comes out more tender and juicy.

Agree to disagree then man, I think I'm cooking them sufficiently competently on the basic level that I shouldn't see such a disparity. I'm probably going to try some marinades and see if there's any game changers, but if the big idea is to eat less pork and more bread consider me disappointed.

If egg's the big secret then I'm fucked, because I'm allergic.

Bone in is always better, for pork and beef. The reason is that the bone add more flavor, self bastes (due to the fat around the bone and the marrow), and keeps the meat from overcooking easier because it takes on much of the heat to get the bone cooking. I never order steak or pork chops in restaurants that aren't bone-in, and I never cook steaks or pork chops at home that aren't bone-in.

I sort of agree with OP actually. I mean I like a pork chop every now and then, usually just salt and pepper and maybe some kind of pan sauce. The meat itself IS kind of bland. If I'm not mistaken, pork is a lot more dense than beef/poultry, so that's probably why. It's hard for flavors to penetrate the meat. So some kind of brine would probably help OP. Or acidic marinade.

Marinate, then grill

>egg's the big secret then I'm fucked, because I'm allergic
>think I'm cooking them sufficiently competently on the basic level that I shouldn't see such a disparity.

well fuck me. you really are that thick. panade without egg. maybe mention it next time so we can point it out directly. also, to reiterate: read the thread. I already posted a suggestion for non-breaded chops. what more do you want?

It really is as simple as cooking it properly with salt and pepper. Maybe some other seasoning if you want. You probably just aren't a fan of chops. Honestly if you're going to make a pork chop or come across a recipe you like, just buy a center cut loin and use that instead. The center cut ones are pretty big and you can cut them to whatever thickness you want. They are also incredible when breaded.

Fair enough, I'll give that a try next time.

marinade it
doesn't need much more elaboration than that, just some kind of acid (vinegar, lemon juice, whatever) and the spices that you like.

Don't know what to tell you bud, it isn't "egg makes me mildly uncomfortable" allergic, it's "trace amounts of egg could cause anaphylaxis" allergic.

And like I said, all of my opinions are on the "compared to treating other meat the same way" perspective. It's not like I use egg in some of my cutlets and shit and not others.

SMALEC

I've been against telling people how to make porkchops. Mostly because it's the least imaginative way to cook pork.

That said, I remembered precisely how primitive the general approach to pork is while reading this thread. If I can help advance the cause of pork, I should.

Now then. Why pork?

Lard is neutral. By this I mean lard has a very weak taste compared to steak fat. This is why people rarely use rendered steak fat in cookies, and instead opt for more neutral animal fats like milk-fat (white people fucking love cows). So instead of relying on lard to do all the work by itself, it's much more realistic to let lard be the "enabler" that lets another ingredient shine through.

This other ingredient will be soy sauce this time.

season chops, dredge in seasoned flour, sear both sides till crispy, finish in oven

The severity of your allergy isn't a point in the debate. you didn't use egg, thats why your panade is shit. and you didn't bother mentioning it. and you said you're cooking the same way as the rest of us.

imagine if I were asking why every time I make pasta it tastes bland and you found out halfway through the devate I was cooking it in milk instead of water.

my main point is: if you can't use egg, you can't do great panade (alsoalso, use panco, its not a secret but a good tip), and that means you cant do good porkchops without being physically ill. so leave it. make stew instead. or steaks. or anything else. don't force yourself on foods you can't manage

Not everyone breads in egg, even though it's relatively common. And I'm sure egg is a great binding/centralizing ingredient but if that's what it takes to make a pork chop edible than I can make plenty of other breaded shit that's delicious without egg instead.

If you don't like pork chops, fine. Not everyone likes every delicious food. Just eat the things you do like.

Howbout you quit hyperventilating about eggs and figure out why you keep cooking all the moisture out of the pork chops like an idiot instead

I've already said I don't find the moisture content to be a concern but thanks for your concern.

Of course you don't, because you have no idea what you're doing and can't cook yourself out of a wet paper bag.

If you want to keep talking shit then be my guest. Thanks for any marinade advice you posted in this thread.

Pork works best when it's well done. Anyone who says otherwise is a goddamn liar who probably came from the same line of tutelage that had made pork "the other white meat" instead of something people actively want to eat.

Yet overcooked pork will invariably lose most of its delicious lard, making all this meaningless.

So we want our pork chop to just hit that well done point - all the way through - without overcooking it. In short, a well done steak that doesn't taste like ass. With beef, this wouldn't be possible without some careful manipulation of the cut itself. With pork, this should be the easiest thing for you to do in the world.

The trick is to start the pork off the way you like it.

First, take 4lb shoulder butt. Oven at 170~190F (go for the lower temperature if you're not sure), 4 hours. Internal temperature should be around 140F/60C. Don't worry if it's a bit lower or higher, as you'll note in the following steps pork isn't such a clear cut meat that you can apply science precisely every time.

The next step is controversial. What I do at this point is leave my pork in the oven for a day or so (don't even open the oven after the 4 hours) - let it really dry itself. It's also acceptable to take the pork out at this point and put it in the fridge, however that really fucks with the internal temperatures and you have to bring the whole thing out again to room temperature. It's a decision you can make based on how much air circulation you think happens in your oven. More air gets in in a warmer climate, greater chance the pork will go bad. Apply your own judgement. The main thing to take away is that you should definitely let the 4lb butt cool itself, as slowly as possible, until it reaches room temperature.

Next, take your pork out and cut it. This should now be the starting point for a good number of your pork dishes, whether it's stir fry, or in this case, a chop. Photos for reference can be found in .

well, now its your turn to agree to disagree then.
do tell, what do you use for breading, bc I've no idea on what apperently compares to unfertilised eggs and panco for breading

First off, let's be clear. I have no idea what breading with egg tastes like. I assume it's superior to breading without egg, but unfortunately I don't have that choice in life as opposed to, say, a vegan.

That having been said, unless egg is a miracle ingredient that makes pork taste twenty times taste better than I can't imagine there's some disparity where, say, a veal cutlet is delicious to me but a breaded pork chop tastes like bland meat wrapped in a thin layer of delicious breading.

Also, it's spelled panko, and to be clear I do use them as opposed to fine breadcrumbs.

>eats his pork without any seasoning
>complains about it being bland

nigger pork is literally put on this earth to be marinated, rubbed, seasoned, smoked, whatever the fuck you want to do with it to impart flavour, why are you eating it straight out of the pig?

At this point, the rest is really easy. Pat the pork dry. Brown the pork (). Set aside. Dry the pan (clean it again if needed). Bring to a super high heat (smoking, completely dry cast iron is a good choice, just don't forget to bring the heat down to about a medium as soon as the pork goes in), put meat in, immediately pour about one teaspoon of soy sauce on top. As the soysauce dries and burns, move the pork around a bit. Flip and repeat. Do this over and over until your pork is about as brown as you'd like, though usually you'll need to flip at least 3~4 minutes for the steam from the soy sauce to bring the pork to a well done.

Some soy sauces are salty enough that you don't even need to salt at this point and just serve it. Other seasonings, including black pepper, are completely optional.

>panko
my bad
now, will you at least provide me an answer to my question? btw, why you're so cross? isn't me fyi

I'm just looking for answers that aren't "you're overcooking them." Because ten years ago that would have been true, but now it's definitely not.

If you're talking basic stuff like salt and breadcrumbs, than barring egg I'm using the usual shit. If you want to pretend that I'm hammering them to make yourself feel better about me calling them bland, then sure. Otherwise I highly appreciate the more specific suggestions I'm getting, such as cast-iron (which I have tried) and soy sauce (which I haven't)

I'd like to think I went a bit more specific than that. The state of the pork where you start off is crucially important. Raw pork has a lot of water in it. Leaving it in the fridge to dry won't give you a good cut of well done pork, and is more suitable for beef where rarity is a good thing. You have to stop thinking that pork is a beef substitute in order to make pork, and beef isn't a pork substitute either for that matter.

I'll give marinades and the like that would maintain the moisture content a shot, as I've previously stated. A lot of the previous discussion has been about "overcooking" the chop, which is kind of a different matter, in my opinion.

So I tell you that water makes for a shitty chop, and your next response is that I'm gonna soak my chop in liquids.

I was asking you how exactly you were breading them if you weren't using eggs. and now I am asking you again. please take through you process step by step.
or lets just leave it and you can make >8796623 instead. or do one with limejuice, soysauce and brown sugar

>Don't leave it in the fridge to dry

>But it shouldn't be wet

???

What you marinade them in depends on what you plan to surve them with...

Sake, riesling wine, pickle juice, etc...

>my first response to an alternative way of cooking pork is to take every single advice about the ingredients used, and then endlessly criticize the actual method of preparation because I fucking love steaks and if pork doesn't taste good when it's cooked like a steak then it's the pig's fault and not mine
I'm done. Go choke on your diner chop with the burnt edges.

Don't fall for the retarded 30 year old meme of cooking lean cuts of pork....there is nothing you can do to save it

Pork is meant to be cooked medium

Try applesauce