Does anyone else imagine cartoons when they read? I don't really imagine real people

Does anyone else imagine cartoons when they read? I don't really imagine real people.

Other urls found in this thread:

bbc.com/news/health-34039054
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aphantasia
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

No. I'm not a mentally ill NEET weeb though, so there you go.

I read the savage detectives imagining everyone as animu characters
totally worth it desu

So you imagine 1:1 reality?

No, I imagine them as real humans, and I say this as someone who's seen 300+ animes

Its hard for me since when I watch cartoons I only see real people, I need to be reminded by friends which shows are live action or not

I do that whenever I read shitty Murakami because the characters are anime as fuck

>that op image
He'll show up any minute now...

>>>/irc/

Who?

>he doesn't know Barneyfag
dude's obsessed

I can imagine people just fine, but I really struggle to make environments that they fit into and make sense.

Completely wrong board and also not his thread.

I doubt he reads.

I imagine almost everything in black in white

>Not imagining characters as sock puppets
Plebs, the lot of you.

I only read light novels, so...

It's embarrassing to admit but I do

this

But sometimes I also imagine characters as animes and it sometimes works

Read moar. I found that, after the early experience of reading Shakespeare and the Nighttown section of Ulysses, it became very difficult to visualize things as anything other than a sort of enhanced stage play--the kind filmed for a wide release, where one may observe the action from several different angles, but it's still on a stage. And of course for poetry there is no strict way of visualizing it, because the imagery must shift with the sound of it. But I cannot fathom having a good book seem like a cartoon show to me.

I don't imagine much of anything.

Never in cartoons.

I do imagine rewrites or whole other stories going parallel.
Sometimes I make the character lesbian, imagine a romance with another perhaps. If the real story contradicts it, so what. It vanishes as easily as it came.

The parallel stories lately have been about a history professor. Sometimes she's teaching by reading from the book I am, sometimes she's narrating an educational film. In 2008 she became a character I invented to run for president in 2016. As this real 2016 unfolded, I kind of saw Sanders doing some of the things she had done. I wish I had been able to write it.
Hell, I wish it were real. She won of course. You'd like her.

The only book where this happened to me was Virgil's Aeneid. But that may have been because I was already exposed to the source epics, and Virgil's writing is relatively dull compared to homer.

I'm really bad at seeing characters basd on their description, so I always end up picturing an actor or a cartoon character that kinda looks like them (or doesn't look like them at all). For example, I imagine every protagonist from Doestovsky novels as either Keenu Reives or Adrian Brody.
as a side note:
>He still hasn't showed up
Barneyfag confirmed as illiterate

About midway though City of Theives I started imagining awful early 90's yaoi designs for the main characters.

Out of curiosity i looked up fanart of the two main characters...I wasnt disapointed.

When I read, I have to imagine characters as people from my life or from movies, pictures ect. I can't imagine a person based of words. Is this normal?

Etc. Not ect.

It's normal. You can make the characters look like anything you want.

I imagined the Iliad as anime-esque desu

Reading books for me is basically just imagining films. I cast the characters, I imagine the camera angles and the theatrical speech patterns

I don't really visualise them much at all. The characters are more like ideas than people in my head.

What do you mean by "imagining" when you read? I thought imagination was just a metaphor, do you actually have visual hallucinations? Am I the only one who doesn't see visual hallucinations when reading?

It depends on the tone of the story and whether the cover art depicts the characters in a certain way. I imagined the Great Gatsby in a very 1920's pin up artstyle and Of Mice and Men in watercolor.

>visual hallucinations
Visualizing something in your head does not mean you are having a hallucination, it just means you have a functioning brain. Do you honestly not try to visualize a scene in your head when you read? Like, if the author is describing some majestic landscape, or a character's bedroom, or some fortified military installation, do you just let the words wash over you without trying to visualize the scene?

I'm genuinely asking, and I was also trying to not use the word "imagine" since you yourself said you don't know what it means.

How is "visualizing" not the same as having a hallucination? You're describing an act of seeing things that you aren't really seeing in objective reality.

>try to visualize a scene in your head

I don't see how that's possible. You would either have a hallucination or you wouldn't, and I don't have hallucinations.

>Like, if the author is describing some majestic landscape, or a character's bedroom, or some fortified military installation, do you just let the words wash over you

What do you mean by "wash over you?" If I read words that tell me information like the size of a landscape and its color or whatever then I'll remember that information. I don't magically see a landscape in front of me by reading words about a landscape though.

>How is "visualizing" not the same as having a hallucination?
Honest question:
Do you have aspergers?

>Do you have aspergers?

No, although psychiatry is bullshit anyway and their diagnoses aren't really indicative of anything other than the fact someone showed up to a psychiatrist's office and talked about the latest big pharma commercial they saw on TV.

Also, answer the question. How is it different?

I've started imagining Achilleus Peleides as looking like Oscar François de Jarjayes.

Most of my interaction comes through video games and anime, so picturing my mental avatars of characters in anime style is only natural.

In short its an experiencial illusion not a visual illusion. You have the emotional and mental response to the sights without actually seeing anything

A hallucination is usually onset by drugs or mental illness, visualization is is kind of like imagining it. Not him, but that's what my take is on it.

>You have the emotional and mental response to the sights without actually seeing anything

That's what I thought originally, that it's just a metaphor and people don't really see things when they read.

A hallucination is when you think you're seeing through your eyes something that isn't there.
A visualization is when you think in your mind of what something you aren't seeing would look like.

I imagine the main character as myself and immediately drop the book whenever he does something that I wouldn't do because its breaking character.

Not really, but one time i could not stop imagining Cathy from Eden of Eden as pic related

I do not visualize when I read, and I get stronger emotional response from written fiction than live action movies (but not as strong as anime).

Guys, it's possible lacks the ability to visualize images, and so is confusing imagining with hallucinations.

bbc.com/news/health-34039054

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aphantasia

I like to read Blood Meridian and imagine all the characters as care bears

Yeah, I try to mix it up with different painting styles and with photo realism. Whatever sparks your imagination.

lol, that must be one of the shittiest living situations possible. I would kill myself if I didn't have the ability to imagine things desu.

It happened to me when I was reading the Iliad

Now I want an Iliad jap cartoon

I don't visualize either. I don't find it helps. Descriptions are never enough so anything i come up with never actually seems to fit the text. Just takes me out of it.