Why do people keep going to universities when pretty much anything you'd like to learn is available on the internet...

Why do people keep going to universities when pretty much anything you'd like to learn is available on the internet? Pic unrelated

>his country doesnt have free education

1) Access to instructors and TAs to help you with problems

2) Needed accreditation for a job

3) Provides a cool network to meet people including distinguished professors

There's more to learning than memorising facts.

>Pic unrelated
Was that really needed?

Anyways, you need a degree to show that you have the required knowledge to do a job or to pursue further academia.

You could go to a job interview and ask them to test you on everything that is taught in a bachelor's degree but that would take far too much time.

It's the second thing

4 years of adult daycare. More, if you're still too immature to join the workforce after that

so then, what have you taught yourself today using the internet?

it's difficult to learn something that you don't understand

>i cant learn if i dont know what i need to research
Or something

Who would employ, a guy who says he can search everything he needs in the internet or someone who went to a university for 5 years and has a Phd?

>the guy who read all the info, or the guy that read all the info, paid guys to watch, and paid them to sign a document saying "yes, he read the info"

I want the better business man, who doesn't waste money on redundant licenses.

Because a university might have equipment you cannot afford.

Or because licenses. can't become an MD without a license.

It not what you learn in lecture. You can use the Internet for that. It's the mental shaping that really counts. The way you interact with others that is very important in your job.
Can virtue be taught?
Not by books alone and it takes mentorship to succeed.

And the internet is not a good source to those who don't know how to fact-check. Most are not skeptical enough.

Brainlet.

You are just lazy. GET IN TO THE FUCKING UNIVERSITY YOU STUPID BRAINLET. YOU WILL LEARN NOTHING NOTHING NOTHING NOTHING NOTHING NOTHING in your home alone masturbating daily, waking up at noon, and browsing internet.

NOTHING NOTHING NOTHING

Because University is where real learning happens. People who call themselves "autodidacts" are typically codemonkeys who think that learning Java by themselves makes them hot shit.

The first time

The fucking first time

I see a person that self-studies
in his home
AT LEAST
40 hours a week

Then I believe in it. I have never met a person who studies 40 hours or more in his home.

A university degree is treated as accreditation for certain professions. It's proof you're capable of undertaking the tasks required. You generally need a degree to get into Pathology because the degree is proof you've been trained in the diagnostic methods used to test blood samples, etc.

Yeah going to college is the only way for 21st century young men to actually develop a work ethic.

In college you either learn to work or you fail. Best to go before you're a 25 year old NEET who's daily schedule revolves around chinese cartoons and video games.

I didn't study 40 hours when I was in college either.

I can focus better out of college on stuff that interests me instead topics I don't care about.
But yeah. I get maybe an hour a day of group theory in.

not an actual college student, but i think it's all about the experience and not the knowledge itself.

Learning in a university is different from reading online. In a university, you actually interact with other people. You can do group projects with them and learn how to be a team player. Reading online, you're just gaining knowledge but not applying all of it.

signaling

>Reading online, you're just gaining knowledge

A lot of the time you think you're gaining knowledge when you're actually obtaining a superficial knowledge at best but you don't realize because you're not being constantly assesed.

uh... they pay me?
isn't that a good enough reason?

Because nobody can learn all there is to know about organic chemistry through Google.

same reason so many work spaces have not seen the revolution envisioned when internet was rising up. People honestly thought offices would be a thing of the past, but it turned out face to face contact at a central place has its values

They can pirate books using Google. I myself have pirated organic chemistry by LG Wade.

>you wouldn't download a LAB

I seriously doubt it

this. also the method they use to teach you things it's supposed to be the best to reach knowledge and practical expertise.

I do. Ive got a 1 hour commute to uni so I mostly just show up for exams.

I had 4 year break between high school and uni though, so I developed a proper work ethic.

This
I teach lab classes and try to include a ton of practical shit
Maybe you can learn some of the theory online, but there is no substitute for actually doing things irl

Stuff like mathematics and computer science you can teach yourself though, through textbooks.

Only to get access to nice labs. If you are in the theoretical side, yes, you are wasting your on the university.

This, besides the cock sucking network avalaible on the university.

>magically guess he read all the info

Who is going to give you the motivation to go on youtube and watch videos for hours, in the comfort of your own home, with food, with comfort

rofl. once you have this 'tuition dollars' thing FORCING you to go YOU WILL GO TO SCHOOL

Personally I can never find what's in my textbooks online. And I couldn't understand the textbooks without the lectures.

found the brainlet

You won't learn to write mathematical proofs, for instance, without an instructor.

>""""""""free"""""""" education
Yeah no

institutional vetting, connections and a real degree. you can swing that shit programming in some cities if you have a portfolio of work, and if you spend a lot of time on social media networking then you can do well for yourself in the comfort of your home. note here that Veeky Forums is antisocial media and will not help you get a job

Self taught engineers are a thing, self taught chefs, carpenters, artists, etc...

This requires a lot more than 40 hours a week, it's just the proffesions associated socially with the universities, the ones that people don't attempt to learn at home.

Besides, remember that before universities there were still scientists, and those were all home schooled.

To gain credentials/certification

You wouldn't want an engineer without a degree the same way you wouldn't want a mechanic without certification.

Can your uncle bobby still work on your car? Sure. But you'd probably prefer someone with certification, that you can be sure at least glanced over all of the materials necessary to be a decent mechanic

Formal qualification and networking.

>I dont need go univeristy
Pajeets be like

Because most people can't get into home schooling and the practical stuff isn't always easy to do alone at home ( expensive equipment or need more people or assignments you would never thought about. )

>Why do people keep going to universities when pretty much anything you'd like to learn is available on the internet?
Universities are about more than learning, also about networking and the social interactions you can never achieve in your basements. Also you need proof of learning like certificates and diplomas. Again your laser printer in the basement will not do.

>the guy who read the summary, or the guy who read the summary, the book, and then checked the sources as well as participated in the online discussion

Because putting your khan academy profile on your resume won't get you a high paying job. A masters or phd does

So you're gonna take the guy who just tells you he is really knowledgeable?

>By the way, I have 3 PhD's and discovered the cure for cancer. What do you mean you don't believe me?

Because people cant afford millions of dollars worth of equipment, dont have the chance of working on the field while being a student and actually want to have life.

Yeah, and as other user said, I still havent seen someone succesfully self studying.

On an unrelated note, an exsoviet madman proffesor told us we should be aiming for 100h of study per week, including classes.
Has anyone here reached that powerlevel?
Or was he memeing us

Aren't these not usually at home, though? The point is, that people who do not have supervision or a mentor assisting them in their studies usually lack the willpower to work 40 hours a week when they aren't paying for it or placed in an environment where they are forced to complete the tasks given to them or face unpleasant consequences.

Self-taught chefs and the like usually have to work some sort of job in which they improve their skills by working with other more skilled people. They don't just learn the principles of being a good chef by staying at home all day looking at the internet and books and practicing cooking all alone.

Because I'm not a utilitarian autist trying to min/max my life.
Going to uni is the happiest I've ever been. I get to wake up every day in my fully furnished, comfy apartment in a nice city that I share with my best friends, walk through a beautiful campus, take several hours of classes on topics I enjoy with professors at the top of their fields, practice what I learn with like-minded people who slowly turn into great friends, finish interesting problems that enhance my understanding or create satisfying projects to demonstrate it, and still have time to work out every day, read for a couple hours a day, and dick around on the weekends with my friends or at parties. After four years of this I will have a degree, research experience, fluency in a second language, and connections to published scientists, and I pay for nothing but housing because of scholarships.
I fucking love this place. I have no idea how you could pretend that reading wikipedia articles and pirated textbooks for a couple hours a week between anime and masturbation is at all comparable.

Learning how your peers solve the same problems in different ways is very useful. Colleges can buy expensive equipment that a self-learner doesn't have access to.

>Self taught engineers are a thing
you legally can't get your PE without going to engineering school.

thats like saying self taught doctors and lawyers are a thing.

Nice NMR machine OP. Did you know it's worth more than your house and car combined twice over?

It might be possible if you include classes, but I think you might have more success if you gave yourself a complete rest day once a week, so you don't burn out.

This statement cannot possibly be true and it could be proven false with mathematics and I will do it
>Flourishes cape
>Grabs fedora
>Runs for the door with arms out like airplane

There's no such thing as "free" education.

Avoiding university because it's all
>"a big scheme to rob me of my shekels"
will land you the life of an overweight, gorilla-posting NEET who browses Veeky Forums to shitpost with the autists who measure their intelligence via digital pissing contests on a Sri Lankan larvae hatchery symposium

Best to just bite the bullet and admit you're too lazy to commit to a structured study plan at an accredited institute, otherwise you'll turn 25 and realize that all of your peers are lightyears ahead of you in both social, professional, AND mental development

Self-delusion is the worst, so get off of Veeky Forums right now and go do something productive

>t. former loser who didn't care about college after high school because he fell for le ebin "I'm smart and gifted" meme and wasted his youth + best window of opportunity