Guys, I just moved to a regional town with crappy restaurants...

Guys, I just moved to a regional town with crappy restaurants. There isn't much variety and when I tried the barbecue it was awful.

I'm making my own pulled pork.

What's the best rub for pulled pork? Essentials?
Is it Memphis?

this one from serious eats is pretty good, made it once.

1 tablespoon (6g) kosher salt
5 tablespoons dark brown sugar (2 1/4 ounces; 65g)
Large pinch cayenne pepper
1 teaspoon (2g) ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon (1g) ground fennel seed
1 tablespoon (6g) paprika
1 teaspoon (2g) ground cumin
1 teaspoon (2g) freshly ground black pepper

Salt and fresh ground black pepper.

Thanks.
I better remember to add a bit of sugar into the rub.
Don't have cayenne.

How long do I let the rub and salt infuse in? I see two different schools of thought here.
One says 12-24 hours and te other says that the salt and spices infuse unevenly and don't penetrate very much at all.

How much sauce do you put in the cooker with your cut of pork?

If you want something ready-made, I've always gotten rave reviews when I use Killer Hogs BBQ Rub. I'm from Texas though, so I tend to add a little more salt and black pepper to the mix.

Sauce with the pork in the cooker? I'm not familiar with this concept.
More salt and pepper. Gotcha.

In regard to pulled pork, it's Carolina style or its trash.

Not bad, I would add chipotle powder but still not bad.

I wish people would move to metric for cooking. Measuring grams and ml is way easier.

Only if you live in Europistan. In civilized nations we have tablespoons and teaspoons in our cupboards specifically for measuring.

A rub doesn't penetrate much, user, and it's there to form a bark, that when chopped up with the meat beneath, accentuates the flavor of the pork, but it's not a highlight.

I like the following:

3 parts brown sugar
2 parts sea / Jew salt
2 parts smoked paprika
1 part black pepper
1 part cayenne pepper
.5 part chili powder
.5 part mustard powder
.5 part cinnamon
.5 part nutmeg
.25 part allspice

Make enough to liberally cover your pork butt, and make extra to mix with 3 parts apple juice, 1 part apple cider vinegar, and inject it in your pork butt.

Combined with the smokey flavor from your smoker, it makes your pork absolutely delicious.

I will go and do a bit of that with the knowledge you all have imparted.

You ARE smoking it, yes user?

>Carolina style or it's trash
Muh nigga
Also that mustard que

No, I just moved bare bones out here and I have access to an oven. That's it.

Alright....here's what you gotta' do, then.

Put the rub on the pork butt, and sear it before slow roasting. You've got to be careful about burning it, though, because of the sugar, so use a medium / medium high heat, and if it starts smoking right off the bat, pull it off, and turn down the heat. You can also use the broiler in your oven, but again, make sure not to burn it. Once you have it nice and seared and caramelized on every side, then slow cook the shit out of it at 250 deg overnight, or until done. Then pull it, and mix the caramelized outer bark with the moist, tender, inner meat, and you'll have pork goodness for a couple days, at least.

If I do a pork roast in the oven, I'll do it in the evening on the weekend, and let it slow roast all night, and it'll be done cooking in the morning. Makes a great breakfast. I pull it all apart and mix it up, and freeze what I don't need immediately. I keeps very well.

Teaspoons and tablespoons are vastly larger in burgerland. It's so you can stuff more processed shit down your gob, whilst thinking it's only a teaspoon, you obese waste of space.
Grams and ml are infinitely superior.

>what are measuring spoons
How does it feel to be this retarded?

Precisely. A measuring spoon, being larger than an actual tablespoon or teaspoon.
To feed your ego and your fat fucking face you greasy yank.

Salt will penetrate the meat, while the spices tend not to, so I will salt rub the night before and add the other rub ingredients right before smoking.

Doing it this way will give you a firmer bark.

Done and done. Thanks guys!