Read the stranger

>read the stranger
>start to relate and empathize with meursault
>feel bad because that means I'm an edgelord

Same here user. I don't tell people that because they'll think im 16, but i think we can all relate

It's honestly a lot better in French. Has a slightly different vibe. But yeah, no one will admit it, but we can all relate.

I also relate to meursault
I want to kill the arab

>it was the book assigned to seniors when I was in high school
>tfw friends told me he reminded them of me
At least Meursault had a qtgf in love with him.

You don't need to attach a picture of yourself when you post, user.

>Has a slightly different vibe
I'm assuming a bit more melancholic?

He did nothing wrong tbqh

Once in highschool a classmate told me i reminded him of Raskolnikov. I burst in rage and told him we were not alike, while having an inner boner.

Sometimes i miss the old me

That sounds like something Rodya would do desu.

>ywn be friends with a younger version of yourself and playfully banter and criticize the characters you were and would become

having empathy for people is like the opposite of being an edgelord

I related to him too. I think it's fine, as long as you acknowledge that it's probably not a good thing.

yep, but living criticaly about your acts doesn't help at all. You must just carry that weight.

I didnt knew I knew that feel

>mfw a friend told me I remind him of Bojack Horseman

most people relate to all characters in some way. that usually means they're written well and have a personality. Camus was an ideological hack but at least he knew how to write novels about absurdism very well.

I have only read it in French

can i ask what it gives off in English ?

I felt that it was a fairly melancholic book, so I would tentatively say yes, though I don't know the English

Meursault comes off as fairly dickish and a lot of the times he's really sure of himself in like a weird way, I'm not sure how to describe it

>you just have to carry on with the knowledge that part of you is an edge lord
>just like you must carry the knowledge of the absurd
Damn...
Bravo Camus

I guess that's true in the French as well. If I were to just give one adjective describing him though I'd probably say passive

I felt this way about the stranger AND about no longer human.

I'm a sad guy.

I know that feel. Its one of the abstract kind

>relate and empathize with a character whose character is that he doesn't relate and empathize with others
>lolimsodifferentanddeeeeep
kys OP

I got the same feeling reading Steppenwolf

good book, didn't relate to the guy though. His thoughts were comical.

Yeah, even Camus admitted he was going for a brute character, a "Chad". He certainly didn't empathize with Mersault
very much.

This is interesting though, from an afterword:
So one wouldn’t be far wrong in seeing The Outsider as the story of a man who, without any heroic pretensions, agrees to die for the truth. I also once said, and again paradoxically, that I tried to make my character represent the only Christ that we deserve. It will be understood, after these explanations, that I said it without any intention of blasphemy but simply with the somewhat ironic affection that an artist has a right to feel towards the characters he has created.

>>relate and empathize with a character whose character is that he doesn't relate and empathize with others
this

how to spot a pseud in 10 seconds

unless it was b8 m8

If you empathize with Meursault you're nothing like him. Meursault didn't feel empathy. If Meursault read the Stranger he'd think "wow the main character sure is stupid for shooting that guy, fucking faggot"