Learning to read German

Hi Veeky Forums, long time no browse.

Basically, I'm learning German with the express goal of being able to read fluently (particularly philosophy and Wagner libretti), to which end I've been going through Sandberg's German for Reading, which some kind user gave me a link to back in the summer. I'm on the last chapter now, and I was wondering if Veeky Forums could recommend where I should go next, given reading is my priority.

Yours,

user

Other urls found in this thread:

doppeltext.com/en/bilingual-books/german-english
books.google[dot]co.uk/books?id=lD6FCgAAQBAJ&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false
drive.google.com/file/d/0B-MP8fAARlOtWkh1LU1fRHNueVU/view?usp=sharing
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Also, for those familiar with the Sandberg, would someone who has finished it still be classed as a beginner in general or an intermediate?

i'm thinking of doing sandberg too

how confidently can you read stuff like newspapers after doing it? how long did it take you?

>learning a dying language
Good luck pham

I've been doing it since late June, but progress has been much slower since October because of uni - I've probably only managed half an hour a day during term time, and I was probably doing 2 hours a day for the first 3 months.

My personal experience is that it's got me reasonably good at recognising grammatical forms, but my vocab is a bit lacking. That might be partly because I wasn't able to spend as much time on it as I wanted the last few months, as I found with some of the exercises towards the end that I could see the sentence structure, tense etc but couldn't remember/work out the vocab itself.

I'd definitely say worthwhile though. The reading passages at the end of each chapter are quite good for motivation as well, I was really pleased that I could read a paragraph after just a few days, even if all the exercises had been preparing me for the vocab.

Do the reading exercises from DaF kompakt, recommended for every GSL student.

Hey OP, perhaps I could use your help.
I've been learning German for two years with the goal of reading Hölderlin and Rilke eventually.
I have learned the basics (tenses, cases, adjective declinations and passive, mainly) but I would like to start reading soon enough. Is this book mainly focused on grammar or does it aim to provide a foundation for reading simple literary texts? If so, could you shoot me a link?

I plan on getting a kindle with a built-in german dictionary (sadly my old one does not have it) which has helped me enormously with my English reading. Vocabulary is my weakest point so I'm hoping that I will be able to cover it this way.

You can just download a German dictionary from the Internet and put it on your Kindle, you do know that?

Aye, but my ereader is not a kindle.

It definitely aims to give you a foundation for reading, every chapter has an excerpt from some famous work that you read.
I found it really hard to find a pdf online, if I get time later I'll try to upload it somewhere and stick a link in this thread.

Can you please provide a download to German for Reading user?

Vielen Dank user.

Just had a look at this DaF thing, looks like the whole textbook is purely in German, might be a bit above me. Also it seems more about day to day convo, which I'm not as concerned with - is that right? Btw what is GSL?

Suggestions for where to upload it? Dunno about this stuff.

German as Second Language.

>Btw what is GSL?

German as the second language, I guess.

You could try this, user: doppeltext.com/en/bilingual-books/german-english

In this website, you can press on a sentence and get the English translation. Of course, only The Metamorphosis is available for free, but I think it's more than enough.

>Btw what is GSL?
German as a Second Language, I'm guessing

>Suggestions for where to upload it? Dunno about this stuff.
Mega.nz seems popular in /mu/ sharethreads but IDK if it requires an account.

>Suggestions for where to upload it? Dunno about this stuff.
Mega.co.nz?

Google drive works great, just share the link or mega.

Monitoring the thread.

Keep getting an error, and I'm fairly busy atm, will try again later.
However, I've just remembered there are a few missing pages near the start of the pdf, but I used this to fill the gaps:
books.google[dot]co.uk/books?id=lD6FCgAAQBAJ&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false
which allows you to preview the first half of the book

There you go Familie
drive.google.com/file/d/0B-MP8fAARlOtWkh1LU1fRHNueVU/view?usp=sharing

Danke schön, mein Freund.

Ich auch.

I just found your first post on this and downloaded Sandberg, what the fuck. Two seconds ago.