GOT

Is ASOIAF a good read? I'm into medieval history.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QmKhGqWcJGY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Yeah, it's really great, if you understand what the author is trying to say,

Don't waste your time on this shit. No, it's not good. The TV show is just as entertaining without wasting the time you dedicate towards reading.

go read the völsung saga

>The TV show is just as entertaining
I'll stop you right there, the TV show is one of the worst things airing right now, and it is a complete insult to the books its based on.

this

I've read the books, they are just as shit

>fat pink mast

Yeah, thats really cute, you can take one funny sounding sentance out of a 1000 page book and try to make the whole thing look bad with it. that works well on retards.

youtube.com/watch?v=QmKhGqWcJGY

"Aaaaahooooooooooooooooooooooooooaaaaaaaaaahooooooooooooooooooooooooooo"

What was he trying to say?
Besides misunderstanding the point of Aragorn.

Oh fuck off with your pretense, his themes are obvious and spelled out a million times over.

If you like medieval history just keep reading that.

"Tyrion reflected on the men who had been Hand before him, who had proved no match for his sister’s wiles. How could they be? Men like that... too honest to live, too noble to shit, Cersei devours such fools every morning when she breaks her fast."

"She was sopping wet when he entered her. “Damn you,” she said. “Damn you damn you damn you.” He sucked her nipples till she cried out half in pain and half in pleasure. Her cunt became the world.

Her cunt became the world."

"He found a line and pulled on it, fighting toward the hatch to get himself below out of the storm, but a gust of wind knocked his feet from under him and a second slammed him into the rail and there he clung. Rain lashed at his face, blinding him. His mouth was full of blood again. The ship groaned and growled beneath him like a constipated fat man straining to shit."

"The three men were erect. The sight of their arousal was arousing"

"You are the blood of the dragon. You can make a hat."

"Men call me Darkstar, and I am of the night"

He mimics Homeric narrative quite well by placing characters as the epicentres of battles. It's very common for battles to focus on one dude versus the other, but he still provides an apt description of the overall battle.

The battles aren't even the best part tho, everything is fucking phenomenal.

Yes, his prose is perfect. As is shown by the quotes in this thread he is clearly a prose stylist. Let's not forget world building. He made a world so cumbersome that even he has no idea what he's doing with it.

"The queen slid a finger into that Myrish swamp, then another..."

“Had there ever been a woman with nipples so large, so brown, or so responsive?"

These two lines aren't that bad
The former seems like a reach, it's understandable and the later, while edgy, is just Dawnstar's character
The rest is pretty funny though even though I liked most of the books

Terrible. At least he deviated from the word cunt for once.

If you think posting a few quotes out of context diminishes the value of the book as a whole I have nothing to say to you.

It's main focus are all the political plots, if that's what you like it's worth the read

>Posting examples of bad prose doesn't prove he has bad prose
Did you read the final chapter of ADWD? That whole thing was awful. Tell me I'm taking shit out of context if I mention the entirety of a chapter.

I never said every page was perfect. I feel completely neutral about dances last chapter, didn't like it, didn't hate it.

But the fact that you try to summarize around 6000 pages of books with a few cherry picked examples is sheer stupidity.

You also seem really triggered by this topic. Was GRRM mean to you at a convention?

Many people pointed out reasons it's not perfect, but I enjoyed reading and recommend that you read it too.

Well asides from his truly awful prose shall we go over some reasons why the books are shit. He can't even control his own story. At first it was going to be three books with a few year gap in-between books. Then he realised he has the planning abilities of a monkey and didn't set up or do anything right in the first two books (which he decided would count as what was originally going to be the first book of the trilogy) so he has to kick everything into overdrive.

Meanwhile because he can't plan and had to do away with the several year skips between books he has to invent literally filler material for many of his main characters. This filler material has started to take on a life of it's own and now he is having to destroy and rewrite material to account for the new plot arcs which is making it even harder for him to plan anything, not that he is good with planning in the first place.
From the very get go he wrote himself into a hole with Danny and has consequentially greatly increased the size of the world and things they have to be done in order for her to have anything to do with anything.
GRRM is a terrible editor of his own work and has far too much clout for anyone else to make hard cuts for him. We have an entire POV character that turns up later that does nothing and then dies.

I could go on, I really could about why these books are bad. But to sum it up his writing is bad, his story is a convoluted mess that he can't control, and he is in serious need of someone to cut down on his material.

>Was GRRM mean to you at a convention?
Did GRRM eat you out at a sex orgy at his mansion?