Is it time to admit physicalism is wrong and that consciousness cannot be explained purely by the physical brain?

Is it time to admit physicalism is wrong and that consciousness cannot be explained purely by the physical brain?

blogs.scientificamerican.com/guest-blog/transcending-the-brain

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physicalism
plato.stanford.edu/entries/physicalism/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

If you're talking about the consciousness of people that are not me, then no. But if you're asking why I see the world through my eyes and not anyone else's, then I don't know.

Because your soul inhabits that body

>people with brain damage have a fucked up sense of self
>therefore consciousness is not limited to the brain
what a bullshit argument

>Less activity in the brain improves cognitive ability
Really makes you think

Also
>However, if experience is constituted, generated, or at least fully modulated by brain activity, an increase in the richness of experience must be accompanied by an increase in the metabolism associated with the neural correlates of experience.17 Any other alternative would decouple experience from the workings of the living brain information-wise.
Claiming there should be a one-to-one correspondence between subjective richness of experience and the level of metabolism in the brain seems to stem from an incredibly naive understanding of cognition.
Especially since that "richness of experience" seems to be actually a decrease of a specific brain function, namely the perception of the physical boundaries of the body.

Really energises my neutrons.

the amount of money I would pay for 10 minutes with elsa jean

Kill yourself and reach enlightment you brainlet

Don't get mad at me just because modern neuroscience proves the soul exists

whats wrong with your nose

>less educated people are more likely to be against physicalism
Really scratches my butt cells

Lmao @ crybabies trying to reject the scientific fact of determinism with all their might
Game over when you die, ladyboy. It's okay if you have to cry

>that nigger nose
Kek, america, more like mongrelica.

I don't see what's so scary about accepting Reality as she is.
Dualists, antiracists, holocaust undeniers, string conjecturists... So many people with their head in their sandy vaginas.

Determinism got debunked in the 50s, what are you on about.

You dont belong on this board you fucking brainlet

>Science points to the existence of the soul
>"That makes me uncomfortable so I'm going to reject empirical evidence and continue autistically screeching about physicalism"
Back to r/atheism brainlet.

>i don't understand particle/wave duality
>therefore magic :DDDDD
Fuck off gödel.

My opinion of atheists gets lower and lower each day.

Like I said, fuck off,youre a dumb fuck and this board doesnt want you, or your shit thread

>improves cognitive ability
You mean, causes hallucinations. None of the people involved seemed to have actually gained anything in any quantitative way. It's all just a bunch of claims about how their "consciousness has been expanded" and similar shit, how exactly do you plan to differentiate between actual results and, y'know, people just making shit up?

Read it again. There are quantifiable improvements when neural activity is lowered.

>A detailed neuroimaging study revealed that experienced mediums displayed marked reduction of activity in key brain regions—such as the frontal lobes and hippocampus—when compared to regular, non-trance writing. Despite this, text written under trance scored consistently higher in a measure of complexity than material produced without trance.

>the practice of so-called “psychography,” an alleged medium enters a trance state and writes down information allegedly originating from a transcendent source.
Mhmm quantitative improvements getting magic information from space aliens, right? It's, what, "higher in a measure of complexity"? The fuck does that even mean

Why don't you read the study and find out instead of asking rhetorical questions that are supposed to make it sound like your incredulity is reason enough to dismiss the results. The reason for the lowered brain activity is irrelevant, the take away fact is that LOWER brain activity can correspond to HIGHER cognitive ability. If that's the case then physicalists are BTFO

I did read it, it doesn't say, it just moves on, maybe if you looked you'd know that. None of my questions are rhetorical. There is no "higher cognitive function". There's crazier hallucinations, which is interesting, ok, but hardly what anyone would call an objective cognitive improvement. And you can also be a better psychic, which isn't impressive since all psychics are equally full of shit, so again we don't really have anything.

>I did read it, it doesn't say, it just moves on
I said the study...Check the references in the article.

>the take away fact is that LOWER brain activity can correspond to HIGHER cognitive ability. If that's the case then physicalists are BTFO
This isn't necessarily true. I could have a computer perform a task extremely inefficiently, and it would get very hot in the process, but a more efficient algorithm could do the task and get the same, and even better results without spending anywhere near the effort. There's no reason to assume brains couldn't work similarly.

>Is it time to admit physicalism is wrong and that consciousness cannot be explained purely by the physical brain?

Hell no.

>the take away fact is that LOWER brain activity can correspond to HIGHER cognitive ability. If that's the case then physicalists are BTFO

That is a complete non-sequitur.

Anything to cling to the hope that God isn't real, eh? Well live in hope my atheist friend. Unfortunately I believe in empiricism and all the evidence points to God existing.

>Unfortunately I believe in empiricism and all the evidence points to God existing.

Lol, such as?

Physicalism has been debunked. Since we now know that consciousness is NOT a function of the physical brain we know of the existence of immaterial things.

Citations please.

Why should anyone care about your opinion? You've made no argument.

What are you trying to mention by saying physicaly? Are you really know meaning of those words or just have an emotional state about those words,conceptions? Thank you, i am so cringey rightnow.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physicalism
You're welcome, retard

It says right there that consciousness does not rule out physicalism. For example some forms of emergentism are compatible with physicalism.
Also the plato.stanford entry on physicalism makes several arguments for physicalism being compatible with consciousness
>plato.stanford.edu/entries/physicalism/

I'd go even further and say the author is missing an incredibly obvious and important piece of information. We KNOW that the brain receives far more data from the senses than it can process, that perception, pattern recognition and meaning-making are nontrivial functions of the brain, and therefore we KNOW that much, if not most, of the neural architecture has to be used to filter, sort and organize information. In other words, we KNOW that neural activity is a limiter on the richness of experience in order to extract meaning from it, rather than the exact opposite, as the author claims.

>Also the plato.stanford entry on physicalism makes several arguments for physicalism being compatible with consciousness
All of them are shit though.

>Brain damage changes the personality or behavior of a person
This is literally saying that consciousness supervenes on the physical brain.

They're literally proving themselves wrong with their own arguments.

It's panpsychism. And yes, there is an explanation for it. That explanation just happens to fall outside of the toolset available to us. Just because something is inscrutable, doesn't mean it's automatically voodoo.

>what is non reductive physicalism?

ITT: No one into hard-problem

>Literally everything and every phenomenon that has ever been inexplicable has become explicable in such a way that it adheres to physicality
>the brain, qualia, and hard problem consciousness is any different

Okay

>guest-blog
Oh boy.

This.