What does Veeky Forums think about Mensa? Is it worth joining?

What does Veeky Forums think about Mensa? Is it worth joining?

>What does Veeky Forums think about Mensa?

Ever heard of the phrase "gay-for-pay"? Mensa is basically "intellectual-for-pay." Only way to be a card-carrying member is to pay their membership dues.

Do you know mensa means "she dumb" in Spanish?

so you only need to pay money to get in?

i'm to stupid to join

>Ever heard of the phrase "gay-for-pay"? Mensa is basically "intellectual-for-pay."
You don't know what gay for pay is. Did someone tell you you have to pay membership fee for your gay card or something?

it's likely going to be full of smug autist nerds, greasy libertarians and fedora tipping atheists. do so at your own risk

You need to be in the top 0.5% on an approved IQ test to be eligible, and then you need to pay the dues to get in

Not him but G4P is when you're "straight" but do gay stuff on camera for money

>You need to be in the top 0.5% on an approved IQ
I thought mensa was 97th percentile?

It's broader than that, but you see how that's the opposite to the Mensa dues thing right?

So Mensa is a homosexual thing?

Men, sir.

I think I misstated it and it's actually the top 2% (not 1/2%), which would be 97th percentile. Mea culpa

this, fucking lol

That would be the top 3%. Either way, that's like 1/50 and 1/~30 which is like not massively selective.

This. I see the value in it if you're a lazy fuck with no merits save for a high iq and you would like an elitist platform to save face for your lack of real achievement so you can carry on being smug.

Usually pay-to-join groups like this have the saving grace of being good for networking, but since their key demographic are generally people described in the latter paragraph, Mensa is useless for anything but an ego stroke without exerting any effort.

My agreement with the 97th percentile came from the fact that there's no 100th percentile, but I believe you're right or at least there's some ambiguity. I should just have said top 2% to be clear. The two aren't too far from each other though, like you say

I like how the name is a play on Mens Sana (as in the Juvenal line Mens sana in corpore sana 'A sound mind in a sound body') and also means 'table' (note the logo).
I also don't think it's worth the admission fee

pictured: Mensa Member

On my resume, I currently have a section called interests that has "Mensa, avid reader, weightlifter"

Is this good to have?

IQ is an advantage up to a point. Anything beyond 115 or so just makes you miserable and gives you Mental Illness

>>Veeky Forums is the pseudo-intellectualism board.

>this is what sub 115ers actually believe

Does he have a viking raven banner on his wall?