My professor just flat out told me today that I don't have what it takes to complete my STEM PhD and that he is...

My professor just flat out told me today that I don't have what it takes to complete my STEM PhD and that he is cancelling my funding effective immediately. He hasn't even given me the option to graduate with a masters. He's outright failing me.

What the fuck do I do now Veeky Forums? I have no job lined up and getting fired from a PhD program just 1 year before my thesis submission looks extremely suspicious to employers

Other urls found in this thread:

theverge.com/2016/12/8/13894000/magic-leap-ar-microsoft-hololens-way-behind
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

What's your major? That's pretty fucked up

What did you do to get that?

nitrogen tank

What degree? What'd you do wrong by the way

Hmmm, I have the feeling you're omitting an important detail.

>What the fuck do I do now Veeky Forums?
The answer to this question has always been the same even before you started school. Kill yourself.

:DDDDDDDDDDD

YOU GO TO THE NAUGHTY CORNER :DDDDDDDDDDD

What did you fuck up?

Shouldn't have said no to sucking his dick, retard.

sounds like he got wrecked on qualifying exam

Holy shit, what did you do?

Sounds like OP majorly fucked up

My research wasn't delivering any publishable results for quite some time, and he was growing increasingly impatient. So I kind of expected this to happen eventually. But didn't expect he would outright fail me with no life line....I don't even know what the fuck to do anymore.

Go into CS

Be my girlfriend (male)

What. I'm stupid anons, but can someone explain to me why this would be grounds for failure? I can imagine there could be many instances where research results aren't publisable because the results are not significant enough or basic premise of the research is flawed? Don't you get a new or adapted experiment?

>He hasn't even given me the option to graduate with a masters.

since when do you need publishable research to do masters? There has to be more to this

Kill him and his family desu. You are probably so far in debt already that without your degree you are fucked, so take him down with you.

If your results aren't significant, you're not asking an interesting question.

>since when do you need publishable research to do masters

there are two types of masters programs that are prevalent (in the US at least). thesis based (meaning you need to publish) or project based (where you do some research but are more focused towards developing something for industry).

>debt
Do you even know how science PhDs work?

He cant do that. Meet with phd stud guidance coinselor and science ombudsman. Or sue him. Wish you best of luck OP

How is that even possible legally, dont you have a contract?

What field ? Maths ? Physics ? Biology ?

>tfw fourth year phd student with no publications and still collecting experimental data
shieeeeet

there are thesis and coursework only masters.

You need to give details on this, OP. How long has this been going on for with no results? Now you've got me paranoid.

it might be different for him, but at my school contracts are semester based (including summer) and guess what, spring semester is coming to an end.

That's the dumbest thing I ever read on this board.

Science is about FALSIFICATION. Finding out that there is no effect is just as valuable as finding one

Doesn't matter numbnuts, research and experimental results that are funded are supposed to be published even if the results disagree with theory or hypothesis, that way when the next person tries it there's previous results to compare to. You can't just ignore scientific results because you don't find them cool enough.

Drop out ASAP to freeze your shit, go someplace else next year.

You have to have meme-worthy stuff to research or they don't give a fuck about it.

>Doesn't matter numbnuts, research and experimental results that are funded are supposed to be published even if the results disagree with theory or hypothesis, that way when the next person tries it there's previous results to compare to. You can't just ignore scientific results because you don't find them cool enough.

Sure sure, but this is not what happened.

What probably happened was that his results weren't relevant at all. This is the only reason research would get canceled and OP dropped. A PhD thesis doesn't have to be ground breaking, but it has to be complex enough that it shows that you master your specialty.

Notice that if OP wanted, he could still find a journal and publish the results. The only thing that would happen is that his published article would not get him his PhD, and that means that his results are boring as fuck and are not showing the craft of a true expert. And now that OP's advisor has given up on him, they have decided to cut his funding because universities don't have money to waste on boring, amateur level research.

It's suspicious to internet strangers too, OP. What were the circumstances under which this happened?

Talk to:
Your DGS. Find out what your department's policies are and whether your PI is even allowed to do that.
Your committee chair. Hopefully you chose someone with clout who wasn't best buddies with your PI.

My guess is: your PI is out of money or just doesn't like you as a person.

Take stock of what you've done, your reasoning, and whatever it is you've learned.

Were you the OP from last week? The thread about how you thought your professor wanted to cancel your research about how gender and sex aren't the same?

Fuck man I told you then I will tell you again now. You should have burned that research and let it go. Even if you are right, we all know that no one will ever let you publish that gender is different from sex, as true as it is. The establishment does not such research kindly.

How could you find out such a thing from research? It's literally just a question of semantics and definition.

Agreed desu, this guy did u a favor informing u as early as he did. Save ur money and bug out.

>It's literally just a question of semantics and definition.

Not OP but most people assume that gender comes from sex. If your sex is male, then your gender is male (or masculine, etc.).

If you were to show that gender is different from sex you would have to find biological and psychological gender expressions that do not come from sex (sex biologically defined as your chromosomes).

Kim?

>STEM
>Gender and sex
>STEM
>STEM
>STEM
>Gender
>STEM
>Sex
>STEM
Holy shit you triggered my autism so fucking hard

Sex, technology, effeminacy and mascuilinity.

>Hey man can you just make up some cool science bro haha we really want the publication subscriptions and payed access

>B-but the results actually day that the likelihood of this having significant effect on cancerous c-cells is m-miniscule at best and the effects are m-minor.

>DID I FUCKING ASK YOUR OPINION YOU FUCKING GROVELING PLEB SHIT!? GIVE ME MY FUCKING CANCER CURE PUBLICATION NOW OR YOU'RE FUCKING DONE!!!

You are the cancer killing science.

i'm sure that op was just trolling

such a topic can hardly be called science, i'd be surprised if they even accepted his proposal in the first place

no..fuck no. what the actual fuck? My PhD is (was) in quantum optics.

except my PI is head of my department and with a stroke of a pen is going to destroy my life.

I've emailed like a hundred people asking for advice. Made dozens of phone calls. But everyone is either fucking busy or "SORRY to hear about my situation" but can't help.

at this point, I'm seriously considering pic related

What does falsification have to do with insignificance? Learn how to read and stop meming.

Do YOU think your research has value? I suggest you continue it independently and make fucking this guy over your life goal.

Quantum optics is a very interesting field. Look into its commercial applications. Build something amazing.

Count of monte Cristo this faggot by becoming successful.

What do you have to lose?

Sounds like a scenario straight outta my fucking nightmares.

Is it really that life-destroying? You can't just become a high-school teacher or some shit?

this 1000 fold

look up a company called magic leap. could your work potentially be used to miniaturize retinal projection technology?

Yeah good luck getting research done without a lab and funding.

>Quantum optics is a very interesting field. Look into its commercial applications. Build something amazing.

Did you even read my thread? I'm getting kicked out of my PhD because I failed to do which you are naively suggesting.

Fuck no. I would just get bullied by high school students. Not an experience I want to ever repeat again.

its unfortunately a meme, sorry.

You've already surrendered. you don't think you can come back from this, so you won't.

You have technical knowledge and acumen you've gained from this work. Use it.

What would you have done if you had gotten this PhD?

Not him but if he is getting kicked out of a phd program without even a masters, then not only is he worth about as much as a bachelors, he might be worth even LESS because he couldn't follow through on his project.

He's somewhat fucked

Guys, let this be a warning to you all. A PhD is a big fucking waste of your time.

theverge.com/2016/12/8/13894000/magic-leap-ar-microsoft-hololens-way-behind

well fug

everyone knows this. i only went into a phd program because i couldn't find a job.

kek. story of my life

no lol

This is truly a sad thread for Veeky Forumsence, and yes, this may be a warning forma everybody

I should've worded m post better. My point is that science is rooted in asking questions about nature. All findings, by that token, should inheretly be interesting.

If OP's success is contingent upon a certain outcome, the nature of the question as he/she asked it is unreasonable or flawed.

OP, I would talk to the graduate coordinator for your Dept. Or provided you haven't actually royally fucked up your experiments, talk to your PI about structuring your scientific question around the results you've generated so far.

>post hoc theorizing
>for your phd

lol

just lol

You at least have a B.Sc. You chased the dream, and failed. It's not the best result, but at least you won't be at your day job thinking "what if..."; you had a shot and it didn't work out, that's closure if nothing else. From here, I'd get any fucking job you can and just take time to mentally convalesce from this fairly devastating shot, about a year or so. Enrol yourself in an engineering B.Sc and complete that. Don't give me any of that "But engineering is for teh brainlets, BS" you just flunked out of a PhD, so science clearly isn't for you, but if you were able to get into a graduate program, I bet you have what it takes to be and Engineer. Don't want to be an engineer? Try nursing. Whatever you do, don't be a fucking snob, because if your graduate experience proves a single thing, it's that you aren't cut out for research.

What in the world makes you think that engineering is a good option for a person who flunked out of a PhD because he couldn't generate relevant results? Literally half of an engineer's job is to design and create things that are relevant.

same

lol, maybe if you believe every engineer is Tony Stark. A lot of Engineers can make good buck doing fairly routine work.

this. i turn the crank on bullshit tract housing and strip malls. make good money without working hard at all. mostly shitpost on Veeky Forums at work.

Ask the department chair if you can get a masters. In my opinion they should just hand you your masters because you were that close to phd.

I did a phd, and they gave me my masters at some point in the middle, after I had passed qualifying exams. It was no big deal for them to just hand me a masters, and it shouldn't be, since I had done 2 years of course work and passed quals.

Kicking you out of the program is a "fuck you". Not even giving you a masters is like a "fuck you and your mother and the horse you rode in on and your children's children, forever".

See if you can talk to someone more reasonable about it.

Yeah. I'd see if you can at least get the masters. Then you can teach at most colleges and some universities.

Most reputable universities won't let your graduate without at least three first author publications in good journals.

actually quantum optics might be an electrical engineering phd

Does PhD have the same earning potential as BSc? I've heard it's a curse to get a PhD in Engineering.

OP I think i read a story about someone going on a killing spree in a similar situation.

Don't be that guy but try to come to terms with your professor. Escalate to the dean if necessary.

assuming you're talking about going into industry: it has significantly higher starting pay (around $150k), but that still doesn't make up for the years you "lost" getting the phd.

it's definitely not the way to make the most money. most engineering grads are brainlets (in it for le STEM meme) and they rate their decisions purely on ((($$$))). they're happy doing process management or QA in a cleanroom or factory floor, or being a code monkey, just pay me. if that describes you then by all means, a PhD is a curse for you.

If OP was a woman would this have happened to him?

kek no

incompetent females just get pushed through. usually, they'll even graduate early since advisers want to get rid of them so they get easier projects and help from lab mates.

>to him

Really fucked up that he won't give you the option of getting the masters.

The key word here is 'thesis'. You have to complete your thesis to get a masters. Your dissertation is for a Ph.D. If op wants to continue in the program the best option would be to find another lab. If op made up data, got caught cheating or the like, then it might be more 'challenging' to get support from another PI.

A lot of engineers don't even do engineering. They just have a job that requires an engineering degree.

>he can't into Donna Haraway and intersectional cybernetics

Fuck you, CS is not for failed scientists.

currently finishing my master's, about to enter PhD program (already been accepted)
officially /scared/ now

hope something comes up in your favor OP, you poor luckless bastard

No, let this be a warning to you. OP is fishing for attention for some reason. I'm actually in a PhD program and there are a few things wrong here
1) you don't earn a masters degree a year before you submit your thesis, you earn it when you advance to PhD candidacy.
2) No PI will fire you for "uninteresting results". They won't even fire you for no results if they think you are exploring the science properly which, if they must, they will talk you through your next steps. They are literally there to oversee the project and provide guidance along the way.

I've heard this usually happens if there's lack of motivation from the student, the student isn't working, or the student gets depressed and does both of the former.

Get to the point OP. What's the matter? Be self critical for a moment.

This is wrong

Thank you

>1) you don't earn a masters degree a year before you submit your thesis, you earn it when you advance to PhD candidacy.
it depends on the school/department, you first year dumbass.

my department doesn't award masters degrees to phd students. if you want a masters degree you either need to get it first, or drop out and apply to the masters program.

PIs can also most certainly drop students if they aren't happy with how they are progressing.

>1) you don't earn a masters degree a year before you submit your thesis, you earn it when you advance to PhD candidacy.
Not every PhD program even offers the option of a master's degree, many grant one only if the student fails to complete his or her thesis but it's likely OP's school doesn't even offer that.

>op is fishing for attention
I really think so too
He called his dissertation a thesis, also, what kind of phd student would unironically say he's getting a "STEM PhD?"

you're absolutely retarded if you think phd students obsess over semantics like that.

as a phd student you are literally the lowest ranking person at the university. your position has absolutely no security. the janitor you see emptying the trash in your lab gets paid more, and is in a union that actually secures his job. you know what my graduate student union does? rewrites the semester long contract to be gender neutral and sends anti-trump emails.

if you are unhappy you have no way to retort because if you get labeled as a problem student not only will your PI drop you, but no other professor will touch you a) because you earned yourself a reputation, and b) because it would insulting towards your previous PI. you're given a shit sandwich and told to eat it and shut the fuck up for an average of 5 years.

so get fucked if you think anyone gives a fuck about whether you call it a thesis or dissertation, you retarded faggot.

Sounds like you basically were doing nothing and got "fired".

He technically can't kick you out so long as you pass courses.

He can end any department financial assistance,

Holy shit I legit was planning on getting a PhD and NEET around in the lab for five years while getting paid for nothing.
Changing plans now.

This is scary, but also everyone should keep in mind that OP has provided very few details and there's clearly more to the story than what he's saying.

OP here. What is the point in me providing more information about my situation? You faggots don't really care anyway when your default position is always going to be "HURRRR ITS YOUR FAULT XD XD".

My life is fucked. Its ruined. No one is going to hire me. Not even Mcdonalds because I'm "overqualified".

Good think my lab has some Nitrogen cylinders and I know how to operate them.

I'm in medical school and most of your post also applies to me in some form.

It's really making me think. What the fuck am I doing, putting my entire future in the hands and mercy of these people?

>my experience is the same for the entire world and every program, everywhere