What makes chefs so driven? I have met other people that are entirely obsessed by their craft, but rarely...

What makes chefs so driven? I have met other people that are entirely obsessed by their craft, but rarely, even at the top level of a given field. But chefs seem to have an incredible density of super driven perfectionists. Why is that? I'm pbviously not implying that this is the norm, just more common

Because wants to eat a mediocre meal when you can tweak even shit tier materials to come out decent. Think before you shitpost, I know I didn't.

*Who wants

Way to not read the question. I'm not asking why chefs are so GOOD. I'm asking why so many are so DEDICATED. Ie invest incredibly high effort.

Because they don't eat shit.

It's traditionally working class and it traditionally allows for a lot of social mobility. It also inherently caters to workaholics since te hours are always long

You can make great food without being an obsessive perfectionist.

Because it drives everyone else out. The pay is shit, the hours are super long and you're never off at the same time as anyone who's not a cook, and it's a high stress job. People who aren't driven and obsessive gradually leave the industry.

Why has the culinary industry driven itself up a wall like that?

Because it produces the best chefs

Yeah but like, if you made cooks sleep in a room adjacent to the kitchen and only let them cook or research the menu from their first day of work till retirement, and made that the industry standard, then you'd probably make even better chefs, but we don't do that, cause it's a pain in the butt. So why didn't they say "fuck that" a bit sooner, like most other industries

you have yet to meet pilots.

Shirt thread

I've met two. One was extremely low energy, the other was a handsome hunk and extremely charismatic, but neither seemed at all ovsessed with their profession. Honestly I cant even see how you would be, unless you're a fighter pilot or a trick pilot.

Most are former addicts or felons with nothing else, so they throw themselves into the only thing they do well.
I used to be a coke head, lost my job as a teacher, lost my house, moved across the country and started over again as a dishwasher in a downtown steakhouse. I was a line cook in college, liked it but I was set on teaching. Three years later I am sous chef, purely because I substituted the high of coke for the high of a busy kitchen at peak service. Head chef did 15 years for gun running, meth dealing and human trafficking, he had no other career choices but the kitchen. We're mostly losers who got a chance to be better

sounds like us mechanics

>super driven perfectionists
It's called meth and cocaine.

Because of the high turnover. Mr Culinary grad decides he can't handle the pressure of service and walks out, does that mean that you can't sell food any more? No, service doesn't stop, someone has to step up, even if that someone has already put in 9 hours and was getting ready to clock out and now has to close

Difference obviously being that you still know a valuable trade. Honestly any monkey can cook, rarely do my skills help me outside of work.

>gun running, meth dealing and human trafficking
nice, especially the human trafficking

It's autism. Chefs aren't the best at making food, they're the people willing to destroy their personal lives over food.

What's a personal life?

Funny thing is he's a born again Christian now, going so far as to never swear and is offended by it. As if not saying fuck anymore counteracts selling people

Phew, thought you meant moot for a second

Pressure makes diamonds my friend.

You can meet a fucking obsessed carpenter but his second to second existence has never ridden on his ability to hammer a nail perfectly for 9 consistent hours straight.

Once you go there you don't come back the same

Is there a meme here I am not getting?

well just glanced your comment and thought you were responding to OP, which has a picture of mootykins. imagine him being a born again holier than thou christian

That's fucking stupid

P.. Personal life?

What's that

Golden post