Hi I'm trying to eat healthier so I bought a big bag of rice and vegetables and am going to eat rice/veggies for a meal...

Hi I'm trying to eat healthier so I bought a big bag of rice and vegetables and am going to eat rice/veggies for a meal a day. My doctor told me to avoid sodium as much as I can due to some serious health complications I'm experiencing. What is a good way to dress up simple rice and veggies that isn't soy sauce?

Make vegetable stock using your spare veg and cook it all in that?

Also you're never going to stick with this you should be less lazy about your plan and come up with a lot of different meals you can do.

You picked up the wrong things to dress up without sodium unless you have atypical taste. There are other foods you can get away with little to no salt.

>Healthy
>Rice

roasted sesame seeds
roasted sunflower seeds
nigella sativa seeds
fresh herbs and spices like thyme, coriander or
parsly
some fresh veggies
some kind of sauce:
you should roast your veggies instead of cooking them and add tomatosauce, garlic, onion,.....

Herbs and spices of course
I also recommend sugar or sweet-sour sauce based on sugar and acid (no oils, no salt), unless you have trouble controlling your caloric intake. Even ketchup works

I roast my vegetables in black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, turmeric, chili powder, smoked paprika, and thyme.. and salt, but only a very light sprinkle, you could probably get away with not having any since I've forgotten it a few times an didn't really notice.

I put the chopped veg in a bowl with a lid, pour the spices in with a little olive oil, and shake it up until its all coated.

I usually have it with eggs and/or cottage cheese.. but I'm sure it would be good with rice too.
If you don't like plain rice, do as said and cook it with stock.. but make sure to check the sodium levels in the stock first of course.

They do make low-sodium soy sauce though...

Cottage cheese has more salt than 99% of foods

Easy!
>fresh lemon juice and zest
>fresh herbs (chives and parsley will have the freshest taste)
>black pepper, paprika, or cayenne
>garlic
>salt free seasoning blends like Mrs. Dash
>cooking the rice in no salt added broth

Lemon juice and zest is your best friend. So is vinegar.

sodium doesn't exist as long as you don't read how much sodium there is in a meal

You did buy unenriched rice didn't you?
If not you'll just keep getting sicker.

>rice
>healthy
Enjoy becoming an even bigger fat ass unless you eat chink-sized proportions of rice (less than a regular human child)

garlic+blackpepper+lemon+olive oil. get well soon.

So what?

>What is a good way to dress up simple rice and veggies that isn't soy sauce?

Garlic, ginger, chili's.

So literally the entire point of this is to avoid sodium?

Rice is ok if it's brown.

White rice, on the other hand, is little better than white bread.

Fry up some onions, and mix it all together with some Sriracha

White rice has basically no sodium compared to bread though. I don't see the issue.

Throw out the rice and get brown rice and other whole grains. A serving of broccoli is a pound btw.

Protip: add some beans to that meal.

Beans have a lot of fibre so they'll help you keep full, also beans + rice forms a complete protein so you'll be getting much more protein than just eating rice on its own.

Pick up a vinegar (rice wine, apple cider, balsamic, sherry, etc).

Use this stuff. It's the GOAT

My fellow umber associate.

Really though, aromat is great. It's not the biggest tin in the world, but it's surprisingly economical too.

Why isn't rice healthy?? !

Add salt

So don't eat it with cottage cheese then retard.

Impossible. Salt is the most important seasoning and everything tastes like crap without it

What's wrong with enriched rice?

Terrayucca sauce is great, also gourmet sauce from Costco

arsenic?

chili flakes
ground pepper
hot sauce

y do u lie?

>and everything tastes like crap without it
Sounds like your taste buds are crippled by decades of eating microwaved shitfood.

Cooking with a minimum of salt rewards you with more distinct flavors of each used ingredient.
Using all these here and some spices like curry and chilly make for an amazing meal without using much or any salt.

>enriched rice?
what's that?

You men cultually enriched ice?
like brown rice?

>rice
>healthy
>eating only rice and veggies

You're going to be miserable and unhealthy, good luck OP.

Maybe you could cultually enrich yourself a bit before posting here.

rice is not healthy. you are better off eating wheat bread. Rice will give you major constipation, and it is full of arsenic.

Starch hierarchy
Beans > Potato >>>>>>>>> Bread >= Rice

Caramelized onions
Roasted garlic
Citrus or vinegar-based dressing
Hot sauce (can make your own to control the sodium content)

I have brown rice and mixed vegetables (+ beans or chicken) for dinner almost every night. These toppings have been my go-to choices.

You can get bacon scraps for 1/4 or less of the price of strips.

Even really high quality bacon.

It's good stuff for flavoring things, beats the fuck out of paying $11 per pound, and goes really good in rice with broccoli.