Annoying food related myths

What are the most annoying food/diet myths you've come across? Rule: Must prove that it's a myth with studies (preferably recent - meta-analyses if you can find them) if it's something that can be proven.

I'll start: soy causes cancer/man boobs/etc.

No. Stop saying this. It's a dead giveaway that someone hasn't gone to college and gets most of their information from Facebook and blogs.

Soy doesn't cause cancer...
journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0089288

academic.oup.com/jjco/article/44/3/282/842289/Soy-Intake-and-Breast-Cancer-Risk-An-Evaluation

It can actually decrease cancer risk.

(3) Lee, Sang-Ah. et al. “Adolescent and Adult Soy Intake and Breast Cancer Risk: Results from the Shanghai Women’s Health Study.” The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Vol 89, Issue 6, pp. 1920-1926, June 2009

(4) Wu, A H. et al. “Epidemiology of Soy Exposures and Breast Cancer Risk.” British Journal of Cancer, Vol 98, Issue 1, pp. 9-14, 15 January 2008

(5) Bosland, Maarten C. et al. “Effect of Soy Protein Isolate Supplementation on Biochemical Recurrence of Prostate Cancer After Radical Prostatectomy: A Randomized Trial.” The Journal of the American Medical Association, Vol. 310, Issue 2, pp. 170-178, 10 July, 2013

Messina, Mark. “Soybean isoflavone exposure does not have feminizing effects on men: a critical examination of the clinical evidence.” Fertility and Sterility, Vol. 93, Issue 7 , pp. 2095-2104, 1 May 2010
fertstert.org/article/S0015-0282(10)00368-7/abstract

Other urls found in this thread:

karger.com/Article/Pdf/337301
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3052353,
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16596800
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25343719
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23704846
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12936948,
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25431999
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15474873
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25198208
nytimes.com/2013/04/08/health/study-points-to-new-culprit-in-heart-disease.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
fertstert.org/article/S0015-0282(09)00966-2/abstract?cc=y=
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

"Dietary cholesterol doesn't raise serum cholesterol!"

Myth perpetuated by fad diet book salesmen and egg councilmen. Little to non-existent substantial literature that proves the statement. Mostly just population studies and cross sectional designs funded by those creeps

This but the other way around

This but the other way around

"Wisconsin is competent at making cheese"

Yeah, the entire scientific community acknowledges that dietary cholesterol increases risk of heart disease, but people on the internet love to say it doesn't. Of course they never offer proof.

And plant based diets reverse heart disease which is a hoax according to the same people, even though it's been thoroughly documented.

Yeah except replace the entire scientific community with absolutely none of the scientific community

That consuming more than a teaspoon of sugar a days is healthy.

A 12oz coke has 9.33 teaspoons.

"Fruit is just as bad for you as candy because fructose".

>I can't stand run down Chinese shop #1 they use MSG! That stuff is terrible for you. Let's go to the cheap Chinese buffet that totally doesn't!

You stupid moron, the Chinese buffet is PUMPING that shit into food, you just don't notice because you think buffet food is suppose to taste different.

This except the other way around

Vegan shill detected.

>Carbs are bad for you, they MAKE YOU FAT

no you idiot, you're just not realizing how much you eat

Dairy shill detected

The myth here is that msg is bad for you

My sources, by the way:

Vegetarians have significantly lower heart disease mortality and cancer incidence: karger.com/Article/Pdf/337301

Low intake of dietary cholesterol can prevent heart disease: ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3052353, ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16596800

Vegetarians have lower risk of ischemic heart disease: ajcn.nutrition.org/content/97/3/597.full.pdf

Beneficial association between vegetarian diet and cardiovascular risk factors:
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25343719

Physicians should recommend plant-based diets to their patients: ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23704846
(Also discusses heart disease.)

Plant-based diets can reduce risk of heart disease and stroke: ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12936948, ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25431999

Vegetarians have better antioxidant and heart disease profiles than healthy omnivores: ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15474873
Plant-based diets can reverse cardiovascular disease: ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25198208

Another interesting read:
Study Points to New Culprit in Heart Disease
nytimes.com/2013/04/08/health/study-points-to-new-culprit-in-heart-disease.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

correlation =/= causation

a vegetarian cares about what he eats, that immediately has an impact on so many things compared to someone who literally doesn't give a fuck

compare healthy diet vegetarians and healthy diet non vegetarians instead of EVERYONE ELSE

fucking hate studies that go full autism on one thing and forget the world is a complex place

>correlation =/= causation

Wow! Thrilling analysis! You sure disproved all those studies!

>Pretending you so much as skimmed through the titles of the studies.
>Thinking no one will notice.

You might outlive me but at least I won't die a faggot.

Kay, babe. Rip in piece.

>vegetarian
>vegetarian
>m-muh plants

You were supposed to prove shit about dietary cholesterol you fucking retard. Maybe eat less carrots and more dietary cholesterol because your brains seems to be dying.

OP said myths, not comments made by fucking retards
no one, of proper education level of age, has said this unironically

This except the other way around

you read all 9 articles?

I did. Some of them a long time ago, but yes. I read studies as a hobby.

This SORT of qualifies.

I've seen multiple people attempt to dispel the myth that you should salt pasta water so that the water gets hot faster. They come to the conclusion that to significantly speed up that process you would need to add so much salt you would ruin the pasta.

Which is, obviously, completely fucking missing the point. You're just seasoning the pasta when you salt the water. Who the fuck told these people that it was to make the water boil faster?

you'd be surprised

Don't know about the cancer, but Mark Messina who did the singular study you listed about the "feminizing effects" is a member of the "United Soybean Board", a group of soybean farmers.

That 70's Show told me that to stop water from boiling over, you add salt to it, if I'm remembering correctly. But that doesn't sound right. Maybe it was part of a joke I was too young to get.

now that you say that I seem to remember my grandmother saying something similar. so it may be some kind of home remedy/old wives tale type shit. maybe it works I don't know. usually I just use a fucking SPOON to keep shit from boiling over.

Interesting. But it actually references multiple studies.

Here's a better one. Still has that guy, but a lot of other people and a lot more studies involved.

fertstert.org/article/S0015-0282(09)00966-2/abstract?cc=y=

Find me a meta-analysis that shows soy causes feminizing effects in men and I'll be extremely surprised. (Know a ton of men who eat a ton of soy, and they're actually some of the manliest looking men I know, honestly.)

>follow David Wolfe
What does this mean?

nothing grandpa. say, weren't you supposed to be in bed an hour ago? come on big guy lets get some night-night.

I am from the year 2397.
We humans now eat wheat products without poisons added to prevent the water from boiling over.
The only shocking thing is that it took over 300 years for people to realize that pasta without chemicals in it does not cause the water to boil over and quite literally light on fire.

He's not a soybean farmer though. He's a member because he's an expert on soy, not because he profits from the industry.

nice quads. but I'm not going to make homemade pasta every time I want some spag or penne just so I know my water won't boil over.

They sell unenriched pasta. BARELY.
healthy harvest, though squelched as fuck, is available.
You can skip the middleman of making your own poisoned spaghetti because the flour is already 10% powder form chemicals anyways.

What a shitty strawman. Where do you live that there are retards stupid enough to believe in the MSG is bad meme and then go and eat at a shitty Chinese buffet?

okay thanks

When you get water to near boiling point but not quite that rolling boil, throwing salt into it usually speeds it up from my experience.

only thing i find more annoying than food myths is this facebook tier meme

'Vodka is bad for you'.

You just need to drink in moderation, like one-two bottles a day. You will outlive evey non-drinkers, I'm 80 and I drink vodka everyday.

See, this is the problem with vegans. They assume that any study they read is true (as long as the study supports veganism, of course). You never think to analyse the studies critically. Every study that shows soy doesn't increase estrogen levels has been sponsored by the soy industry.

>Know a ton of men who eat a ton of soy, and they're actually some of the manliest looking men I know, honestly
Yeah, we all know how manly vegans are :^)

Just testing if I'm still getting "upload error". Please disregard.

>Every study that shows soy doesn't increase estrogen levels has been sponsored by the soy industry.

that doesn't mean anything though. maybe if the study was funded by someone in the soy industry it might point to something fishy, but that's not always (if ever) the case.

it's weird, you're urging someone to be overly objective and critical by insisting on some sort of vegan agenda/soy industry conspiracy. and yes, some people might immediately think if they read a study that it's the be all end all for that subject, and that's silly, but it's perfectly okay to cite the evidence shown in the study, especially if the evidence and results are repeated over time.

so like, shut up, man.

p.s. not a vegan, just think you should suck my balls

It's most likely just your expectation, unless you're actually timing the difference. I suppose it's possible that undissolved salt crystals would seed a boil, but I don't think it's likely.

I've timed boils with 4L of cold tap water, unsalted, and salted with 1 tbsp of salt, same pot, burner... negligible difference.