Reading Joyce in translation

I really want to start with Joyce, but I'm afraid that I won't understand everything if it's in English. Can a translation destroy the pleasure from reading his books?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ScqPf6rL_LY&list=PLFOV9QamZGBMaIKRkraDe3Yalbj2VK0q0
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Stop being afraid and just accept you won't understand everything. This isn't like a video game with achievements, if you miss something that's part of the fun.

Just get an annotated or critical version, like penguin or norton

Honestly I think it'd be depressing to understand everything in a work.

Read it on genius.com or on joyceproject.com
They have a lot of annotations.
Also, there is an addon for Chrome that immediately gives you the definition of words when you highlight them.

You wouldn't understand everything either way.
The fact that you are asking this in English but don't want to read him in English is disconcerting.

I really want to start with Faulkner, but I'm afraid that I won't understand everything if it's in English. Can a translation destroy the pleasure from reading his books?

Well, Faulkner translations are pretty fucking bad honestly. Stream of consciousness bits are pretty much untranslatable. Think of poetry. But if you really want to get acquainted with his writings, buy a translation

actual shitpost. the argument has nothing to do with op's question.
of course you can read it in translation, it's a novel – not poetry – and it's quite long, so it's better to you to understand the more you can

>of course you can read it in translation, it's a novel – not poetry – and it's quite long, so it's better to you to understand the more you can
This is an actual "I haven't even read the book" post.

Personally I'm Irish but I prefer the French translation. It feels more literary

sorry? I read the book in translation and it was damn great, even the stream of consciousness, and I understood it. fuck off braggart.

I see you

I really want to start with Virginia Woolf, but I'm afraid that I won't understand everything if it's in English. Can a translation destroy the pleasure from reading his books?

>and I understood it
How you can even dare to claim you've read Ulysses...

While it's no Finnegans Wake, some parts are still... beyond just understanding.

Joyce isnt even that great honestly, i bet your country has at least one Joyce writing in your native language already

I really want to start with Kafka, but I'm afraid that I won't understand everything if it's in English. Can a translation destroy the pleasure from reading his books?

then why don't you read english books in chinese?

>Can a translation destroy the pleasure from reading his books?
Infamously, yes very much so.

I really want to start with Trump, but I'm afraid that I won't understand everything if it's in English. Can a translation destroy the pleasure from reading his books?

How do I know it isn't written by an AI if it's in Chinese though?

false

I think there's a thread up about the enormous insect vs monstrous vermin translation up now, and that is really far away from the worst one. You may enjoy these too:
youtube.com/watch?v=ScqPf6rL_LY&list=PLFOV9QamZGBMaIKRkraDe3Yalbj2VK0q0

Finnish is the only valid translation of Joyce since it is the language of the gods.

What's with the fonts