What field would I need to study to try and learn and understand about human consciousness...

What field would I need to study to try and learn and understand about human consciousness? I want to understand everything about the human brain and how it reacts to outside stimuli via the invironment, as well as how genetics play a role in how the person is set from birth to be like and their "mental ceiling" for creativity, intelligence, etc. I also want to know how the brain interprets sensations that are channeled to it via touch, taste, smell, etc, etc. Thanks in advance for the help

Other urls found in this thread:

iep.utm.edu/hard-con/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

psychometrics, obviously

that's a big butt

Neuropsychology obviously.

its even bigger now

@traprapunzel

for you

Every field except history.

bump

4------------4
4------------4
4------------4
4------------4
-4----------4-
---4------4---
-----444-----

oh Lord

philosophy

> I want to understand everything about the human brain

Why would you want to do that?

Neuroscience. You won't get very far without being able to spell environment right though, just fyi.

Why soecifically Neuroscience? As opposed to other neuro and psych related fields?

why philosophy? I can't tell if you're being sarcastic

My dick sure is reacting to that ass.
I'd like to know what kind of role genetics played in that ass.
I also would like to know how my brain would interpret the touch, taste and smell of that ass.

u feel me?

>What field would I need to study to try and learn and understand about human consciousness?
Medicine so that you can put yourself to sleep and wake up in 20.000 years.

You have no other chance, we haven't gone beyond vague hypothesis for consciousness.

so I just gotta wait 20 years til all these monumental discoveries happen? that's exactly why i need to start studying it now!

bump

>20 years
In Germany the dot indicates a thousand.

So you need to wait at least twenty thousand years until anything meaningful about the human brain is discovered.

Neuroscience is an umbrella term for those.
Just look up which fields fall under Neuroscience and pick one you like the most.

Neurogenetics.
How large can an ass get?

Study film or theater, some kind of performing art and do psychedelics, start small but work your way up to 350+ micrograms of LSD. You will gain true perspective and an appreciation for the nature and function of human consciousness as well as an understanding of how it is influenced.

note that taking psychedelics alone isn't sufficient, you need to take them and then experience a wide range of settings and social situations, both dramatized and live.

Having an understanding of basic electromagnetism and wave mechanics as well as an elementary (high school-level) understanding of psychology helps as well, but studying neuroscience isn't going to give you any kind of understanding about the human college, just a ton of mechanical facts. It's like studying mechanical engineering to become a better driver.

Neuroscience will let you understand and design experiments to study consciousness

You've got a lot of fields to touch on, son. Cognitive Science and Neuroscience are at the top of the list, but those are interdisciplinary areas with usually only a few courses offered, to fill in the rest of your credits, take courses in: Biology, Computer Science, Linguistics, Mathematics, Psychology and Statistics.

No, it will let you understand and design experiments to study how the brain works. Two completely different things.

Maybe you should lay off the acid, bud

Sounds like you should get on it :)

Too add, higher doses will reveal much more insightful information about consciousness, the problem being our language isn't nearly advanced enough to say it. We need to evolve to a visual spoken language to properly convey the fundamental nature of what consciousness is.

Be careful, people lose their minds on acid if they don't have the willpower to stay sane.

Google "P. Zimbardo" and you will find the rest. Also the understanding of ancient Egyptian Gods will do you good. Try it

>What field would I need to study to try and learn and understand about human consciousness?
Philosophy. Phenomenology ∨ analytic philo of mind. Choose your poison.
> I want to understand everything about the human brain and how it reacts to outside stimuli via the invironment, as well as how genetics play a role in how the person is set from birth to be like and their "mental ceiling" for creativity, intelligence, etc.
The cognitive sciences
>I also want to know how the brain interprets sensations that are channeled to it via touch, taste, smell, etc, etc.
The cognitive sciences, too

Don't forget the 'hard problem' thought.
An intro: iep.utm.edu/hard-con/

Not the guy who said that but it's actually true.

Neuroscience can only correlate a physical finding with an appearance in consciousness. For instance, if you eat a slice of chocolate cake, the taste of the cake cannot be found anywhere in the brain if you were to dissect and examine it. Only the neurotransmitters and cells that relate to the tasting of chocolate could be found, the taste itself will not be found anywhere, so the question is how is this possible? How does the subjective sensation occur? this also lends to the question that my taste might not be the same as yours, and there is no way of knowing either.

Sam Harris, popular neuroscientist, spent his twenties intrigued by consciousness which led him to study meditation for years. (Literally spending two years in silence to inspect the nature of his mind) - He makes the claim this is an absolutely necessary path science must take in order to understand consciousness.

bump