It's a bland and overpriced burger that takes like 15 minutes of waiting to get

It's a bland and overpriced burger that takes like 15 minutes of waiting to get.

Can someone explain why people go nuts over these things?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=TBb9O-aW4zI
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>i don't like it so it must be shit

I've never had a bland one, they are a bit pricey though.

not necessarily shit but where's that extra price coming from because I don't see any increase in quality

The ol Five Guys meme. I don't understand what the fuss is about either.

Tastewise the burgers are definitely a step up from the other fast food chains and it's actually from the patty, not the sauce or toppings. The price increase is still questionable though, and the fries are overrated (even the cajun fries).

is it the same with whataburger and in-and-out?

Lesser quality. Higher price.

The charred fatty goodness in every bite leaves you totally satisfied, it's better than a steak when done right.

I do. I tried for ages to make the perfect burger at home that I usually pay $15 dollars for, experimenting with different size patties, spices and cooking techniques of pre-bought mince. For a time I couldn't even close to get the texture and taste.

Turns out the grinding process of meat is the biggest factor outside of the meat used and fat content, and it has to be perfect (done cold with extra sharp blades so the fat doesn't squish). I had to read a fucking book to find this out since even the web let me down (food lab's better home cooking through science btw). Until there is a sticky for this kind of basic lost knowledge this board can expect more "for me" style posting.

> totally satisfied

kinda just comes off as same old same old for an extra $10

if you want a burger just get one from McDonalds, they all taste the same I will never understand people spending tons of money on restaurants.

>It's a bland and overpriced burger that tastes like 15 minutes of waiting to get.
Wat?

I had one in Dubai and it was expensive as fuck. Luckily, I live in California, so I can choose IN-N-OUT over this shit every time.

fat burger is way better OP

In N Out is still God compared to this Demonic cesspool.

Don't flatter yourselves that much. In-n-Out is good but nothing special. Flavor-wise, it's about on par with Five Guys.

At least it costs half as much, though.

I am currently getting your IP address and other personal information. Don't believe me? I worked for some very powerful people that you do not wish to fuck with me. You have committed blasphemy and I have the approval of my superiors to wipe you out. Is this a copypasta or a ripoff of a copypasta? Keeping thinking that. Because you're on the list now and you will pay for your sins.

Five guys burgers are legitimately the best burgers you can get at a fast food place, bar none. I never understood people complaining about the price, two people can go get burgers, drinks, and fries for

there prices seem to go up every time I go
the price of a little cheeseburger has gone up a dollar in a little over a year

that's fine to pull in bumfuckville, alabama but we have several choices around here

I don't see the one by me lasting much longer

>whats the problem
I can get a double cheeseburger of the same quality for $7 at my local place, qnd they often give out fries. Hot dogs are $2-2.50

This. In n out is not any more special but the price is bonkers consider it is priced like a mcshit

since you put some effort into making burgers i dont want to discard your opinion, but the first time i made burgers with my own ground beef,mayo and brioche buns it was already better than any fastfoodplace could ever be

just bought a $0.57 per 113g patties from walmart, been eating them all day... says 100% beef but it is kinda savory sweet, not sure if that is the fat content (I drain it)

Two people each getting a burger fries and a drink for less than 10 dollars a piece is probably a better deal then a 7 dollar burger which maybe has fries and definitely no drink.

Five Guys emplyee here. Ask me anything.

That burger in OPs picture is completely wrong btw

But if I wanted mediocrity I would get mcdonalds or wendys, not some quasi-burger joint where the most appeal comes from the soda machine.. which brings me to my next point, that sugar water does not and should not factor into how good a "deal" or "combo" is

Have you actually eaten at one?

Went there a couple days ago actually.
Are they half assing that extra scoop of fries they throw in your bag now? Or did I just get unlucky and the guy messed up?

in n out is by far the most overrated burger place I've ever been to
I went once was expecting some kind of god tier burger.
Was straight up the first time I've ever felt let down by food

He probably didn't fill the basket with enough fries. Happens all the time with new guys unfortunately.

It's hard to believe that anyone in the USA lives more than 10 minutes away from a local, non-chain hamburger joint.

Everything in Dubai is over priced. Quality tends to be lower since they don't know what its supposed to taste like, they just care that its foreign and popular

Prices in rural areas stay low because theres more poor people there. In cities they can gradually increase the price since people are getting more money and typically faster than inflation

They introduced a new smaller cheaper size while at the same time introducing a special scooper. The extra fry amount has been reduced

I'd say they are 'overpriced' due to the quantity of toppings you can put on. If you're only getting 1 or 2 toppings, then yeah, I can see it being overpriced to some.

The best

Lite Mayo
Lettuce
Tomato
Onion

Grilled Green Peppers + jalapenos
Mushrooms and cajun on the side.

there gay

>I don't understand economics
Doing anything in a city is infinitely more expensive, and everybody in a city generally makes more money, meaning that even though it costs you $9 to buy a burger in whatever shithole you live in and it only costs me $5, our PPP is basically the same.

This is OP. I went to one a few days ago. I end up going to one every few years or so. Always end up leaving with the same sentiment of "Why was that concession stand tier burger so expensive"?

this

Worked at five guys AMA

I don't.
For me, it's a glass of pure water.

is it just a meme?
Do you prefer 5 guys?

Stop calling things memes. But it is overrated. Fries more often than not come out soggy as hell and the burger wrapping is stupid. There's no seasoning on the burgers because they think the bread, which is the only proprietary ingredient btw, helps in that regard.

What book was that user?

wtf was talking about then?

It's not that great but it's better than most fast food burgers and it's consistent + available in many places, so there's that.

I totally agree with your post.
And I should know, I grind my own meat for burgers all the time, and won a Veeky Forums challenge burger competition a few years ago.
Grinding your own meat for burgers is incomparable to just buying ground beef from the store. And when I grind, (I have an old fashioned hand crank grinder, industrial size, attached to a butcher block), I keep all the cubed up beef cuts I plan to use in a dedicated meat fridge until I'm ready to grind, and I take the meat out batch by batch so the fat stays cold. It gets harder in the summer, but not impossible.
All that said, Five Guys is the only fast food burger I ever eat. It's the only burger with the right consistency to flavor ratio, and it's also the only fast food burger that doesn't make me feel like shit 30 minutes after I eat it. I don't order fries there, though, because they're not very good.
I think if more people cooked at home and cooked well, they'd have different opinions on fast food and food in general than they do now.

Did you ever want to blow your brains out because of the dadrock blasting in there around the clock?

>food lab's better home cooking through science btw

the author of which copped that fact from Heston

Yes. Fucking unbearable at times. At least it's varied over several decades.
>mfw some middle aged dude walks in dancing and singing along and talks about how we always play great music

Sweet, you're still here.

Did you have any favorites or custom creations you would eat in your downtime?

Can you explain how the prep works there? are there prep cooks? and do you have to wash a ton of potatoes?

>favorites or custom creations
I stopped eating meat from there for a bit, but on a few rare occasions I would make a grilled cheese and add a patty with some grilled onions/mushrooms and pickles. You can order this too next time, it's not an issue. Also one of my managers showed me a snack which consisted of smearing some mayo on a cheese slice and frying and scraping it on the bread grill till it became all crunchy. Tasted just like a cheez-it.
>prep
Everything is prepped on location in the morning by whoever is working on the shift, at least for my location which wasn't too busy. Sometimes we would have crews of like 3 people. Everyone does a bit of everything. Yes potatoes suck. After rinsing them whole we then have to put em through the potato cutter one by one, and then continually run water over them until it's clear and free of starch.

youtube.com/watch?v=TBb9O-aW4zI

Idk user I really think a fully customized burger is the way to go. I didn't see anything about seasonings in your post

That's because I was simply talking about grinding your own meat, not seasoning or how to cook it. I'd post what I think about that, but I have to go get in the shower NOW, because I have to drive downtown by 5:30. So, if this thread is still up tomorrow, I'll come back and talk about all that.

If you're on the west coast you have NO excuse to go to 5guys over Habit. Far better quality for the price.

>Habit
Huh, ok, will have to try that as I pretty much only go to In-n-out. I live in Sunnyvale, CA and there's a Habit, 5 Guys and In-n-out all within ~1.25 miles of each other.

>Heston
Probably, but for the average home cook looking to improve it's the case that for every tip of heston's that you might use you have to sit through 100 of his self-felating recipes.

You don't understand, for people who've substituted consumer preferences for having actual interests a fast food chain they don't like can't just be a bit overpriced it has to be LITERAL DOGSHIT, THE WORST THING EVER

>took him that long to learn about cutting meat and fat content in burgers
Can't make this shit up folks. You could have literally just asked ck.

what's the view like from mount stupid?