What are some pieces of literature I can read that will convince me that videogames are not only a bad artistic medium...

What are some pieces of literature I can read that will convince me that videogames are not only a bad artistic medium, but there has never been a single game that could qualify as "high art?"

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/e6BmgK5s5to?t=3m19s
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

why not just read something good that helps you appreciate literature as an art, and enjoy video games when you want to enjoy that medium of art as well? must one alone be art? if you want to read something that I happened to like, Count of Monte Cristo is always a great place to start. It starts slow, but establishing the characters is important.

In the end, just like what you like, who gives a shit whether one falls under the classification of art or not.

High art stopped existing when aristocrats stopped existing in the West.
Also, the Drakengard games and space funeral are better examples of games as art than Shadow of the Colossus.

Ranking of artistic mediums is not a thing that is done seriously.

There is no elite population of eclectic aesthetes who determine what is worthy out of all art.

Most of the time when you read some douche who's trying to tell you what qualifies as high art, he's a guy with expertise in only one medium, talking out of his ass about others.

videogames can actually be considered art. the only problem is they don't make you a better individual (more deep, intelligent, sensible or whatever the fuck you want). it's weird because that's every art's sake; so what? are videogames art without art's sake? I leave my quesions open for you

>be me
>see thread
>are videogames art
>think about posting icycalm
>roll save vs shitpost
>pass_galadriel's_test.jpg
>quietly disappear back into the depths
>wonder if anyone will ever fucking get it
>feels subterranean man

mein gott the stale unexamined ideology in this post
kys

>Art is supposed to have a practical purpose

>it's weird because that's every art's sake
How does music make you a "better individual" in any tangible way? Or painting, or sculpture, or really anything other than literature, or other narrative arts?

Instead of arguing what's fundamentally wrong with your way of thinking, I'd argue that there are games that make you a better individual, such as Majora's Mask, which is often interpreted as a tale about trying to determine who you really are: The person people think you are, or the person you think you are? While other mediums have tackled this idea before, and arguably better, Majora's Mask does so in a way that is impossible with a passive medium, by using the "3-day time limit" to schedule every event that will happens in the game at any particular time, allowing you to experience two different things that happen at the same exact time. Of course, this could be done through any other medium (such as Groundhog Day with Film), but I believe Majora's Mask does this aspect the best, solely because it works best in an interactive medium.

Admittedly I made this thread because The Last Guardian came out and I wanted to know if it has any actual merit to it, because reviews of it tell me nothing about why the game is good nor bad, and /v/ is filled with shitposters who can't think critically even if their NEETdom was at stake.

>What are some pieces of literature I can read that will convince me that videogames are not only a bad artistic medium, but there has never been a single game that could qualify as "high art?"

Ehhhh games aren't a bad medium inherently.

The problem with them seems to come from a combination of the development team's intentions, the publisher's attitude, and the audience's expectation.

There's a lot of shit on itch that could be considered meaningful but it's a real eye-opener into just how much money/talent you need to produce an artistic game that'll ever get anybody's attention.

Nobody mentions it but the talking point around SotC should concern whether it came out at a point in time where development costs, talent and audience expectations were at their most favourable for an artistic game like it.

Also, you're quite right in saying there's never been a game that's 'high-art'. Loose terms aside, I don't even think that's a controversial point to make.

Interesting opinion; would read an essay about that.

Art is a meaningless word.

anything can make you better individual, it is just a matter of your brain and how it sees and modifyes things in it

Highly skilled expressionism does occassionally occure in vidya, just not often.

luna come back

This desu.

I for one appreciate your god-like forbearance.

Video games can never be art because to progress in a game, you literally simply repeat and repeat until you do an action correctly before you can progress.

It is not something I can like or dislike instantly in the same sense as art, it is not something I can appreciate fully through historical context or learning in the same way as art.

Anyone can play a video game and win by adapting themselves to the game.

Not everyone can paint, instead they have to adapt the paint according to themselves.

False equivalency.
You're comparing playing a game (experiencing a finished art piece) to painting a picture (creating a new art piece) which are two different experiences entirely and can't even be compared
If you were to compare playing a game and looking at a painting it'd make more sense

Viewtiful Joe was pretty artsy

Except I'm not.

You can go into a gallery and experience a painting, and interpret it any way you want. You don't even have to interpret it, you can simply allow it to form an experience which is pleasurable or not.

This cannot be done with a video game because the video game's path has already been written. No matter how free the video game is, you must follow its boundaries.

It has been pre-set for you.

video games are not art. Games are not art. Chess players nor any of the other games out there do not consider their games an art form for the reason that games must be one, objectives met, and the active role of users in the gameplay.

Can you win reading Hamlet or Beloved?

I think Vidya can be pretty artistic. Depending on what you consider art. In my case, Art is what makes me feel and think. If it teaches me something of the world or of myself, even better.

Bloodborne in my opinion, is this. As a simple game mechanic known as "insight" is much more profound than one might think.
In the beginning, you start off with 0 insight and the world presents itself one way. Once you gain a lot of insight, the world shows it's true colors.

TL:DR: Bloodborne's game mechanic says those with higher knowledge see the world differently than those who Don't have it. And I find that artistic.

nice AESTHETICS and fun as hell. got that hellboy/dowman sayman vibe

i just like how funny it was.

now most suda51 is artsy, especially killer7. he is the only reason i actually respect vidya as an art form. most else is garbage.
>guess its time to close the curtains
>trying to die in style? gimme a break you sick old man
>youtu.be/e6BmgK5s5to?t=3m19s
pure kino

Some things are ART some things are not ART. ART is the most important things because it deals with muh feelings.
Being an ARTist means to be superior to everyone else, in that you are smarter and have a superior understanding of life.

Since I use ART as a synonym of good/true in my own pubescent system of belief, I must regard things I like as ART and things I dislike as not-ART.

You guys never played a good game in your lives.

Neither have you.

Everyone who plays video-games complains about growing out of them.

ADOM is an exceptional game. as is qud and cata and Omega.

This post is hilarious because of how true it is.

I wish people would stop thinking like this.

Nah.
You're just a dork working with small reference pools like every other no-account chicken-fancying biro-chewing kindle-squinting college drop out here.

Truth is, as modern adult life takes hold you have less time for ALL forms of entertainment - books, films, painting, walking, talking, thinking, being your better self - all subsumed by the daily worries of sustaining your idiot consumer lifestyle, and the lives of your parasitic spouse and children.

Nice projection, retard.

I work a tech job and find plenty of time in the morning, lunch, evening and weekends to do all the things I want.

>earning 52k a year doing nothing all day

Enjoy your shit life!

Why do you want to read something to confirm your biases abd further provincialize your thought?

I want to read something that deconfirms my bias, I believe videogames are art and want to read something that attempts to prove me wrong.

I couldn't care if they're high art, it's just fun.