Pynchon's V

So I just finished Pynchon's V, and while I must say it's way better than Crying of Lot 49, and I really liked the writing style and the book itself.

But I just felt like going through a short stories collection as every chapter went by, only that each story was vaguely connected. Is this what it has to feel like or am I just missing the narrative link?

I enjoyed it but I'm not sure I have understood it at all. My favorite chapter was the operation, that's for sure. It's a great scene.

i just ordered it the other day, its on the way. i really hope i do a have goodly amount of fun when i give it a read

It really is lots of fun except for some long ranting-like passages that add 0 to the central plot and the novel in general. So, apart from a few chapters, you're safe.

I just noticed the image; fuck, this was sarcasm wasn't it

>So I just finished Pynchon's V, and while I must say it's way better than Crying of Lot 49, and I really liked the writing style and the book itself, I just felt like going through a short stories collection; every chapter went by, only that each story was vaguely connected. Is this what it has to feel like or am I just missing the narrative link?
There, I fixed your post. It was giving me a headache

Stencil's flashbacks, Mondaugen's story and Fausto's letter are pretty much short stories that feature V. in some form.
They all display some of their own themes, some of the book's universal themes and most importantly just atmosphere surrounding the World Wars.
Pynchon also uses them as canvases for his experiments in writing and narrative.

>So I just finished Pynchon's V, while I must say it's way better than Crying of Lot 49, and I really liked the writing style and the book itself, I just felt like going through a short stories collection; every chapter went by, only that each story was vaguely connected. Is this what it has to feel like or am I just missing the narrative link?
Sorry, this is actually the final correction

This is what happens when you make a thread from phone in a rush

Fuck, sorry. I am indeed writing from phone and I typed quickly.

Hm, yeah, this is what I had figured.
I'm not sure I got the proper notions of what conforms the universal themes of the book, though.
>canvases
Yeah, this for sure. I just felt it was too segmented and poorly structured in a sense... I guess it really is

no i was serious lol i just wanted to have some fun with my reply. the picture is from a secret folder of girls from my past. a secret to my gf. its just liberating to post them

Oh, it's okay with me
she looks like she had a really annoying voice and behavior lmao

I just couldn't finish it. I sure hope GR and M&D are better, if not, ah well. There's plenty of life left to read Ulysses, Petersburg, and G&P over and over and over again.

G&P ?

Grime and Punishment?

fuck you

Gargantua and Pantagruel, also, The Recognitions would be acceptable.

Nigga G&P is like 600 pages of toilet humour, you'd love Gravity's Rainbow!

I can't see why you could understand and have a pleasurable read of all those you listed and not get V.
It doesn't make sense in the end, the plot is not that exiting. But some chapters are just so damn well written and have beautiful imagery... just a great read (even if i didn't get shit)

My first pynchon. I tried getting in to it and I just don't understand it so far.

100 pages in and nothing has started rolling, it's like Pynchon has really bad ADHD or something. It's just not entertaining to me because of how all over the place it is. He's a good writer, but what does being a good writer mean when you can't make a coherent novel? How am I supposed to care about any of the main characters when their plights are drowned in a sea of meandering experimentation.

I am hoping Gravity's Rainbow is much better.

i mean the shirt sucks but she has a fine voice and is pretty timid, and she's pretty funny actually when she gets riled up enough. shes 5'10"

>timid
ok i misused that. she has a heartwarming shy smile and shes shy

It's not about "getting" V. I just didn't like it very much.

I loved Petersburg, GP and Ulysses, they're some of the grandest literature in existence, though i waffle about GP, I like to switch The Recognitions with it on occasion. A few more rereads of both will settle it eventually.

I read it and it just wasn't interesting. Some parts, like the priest and the rats, were interesting, but overall there was nothing in the book that made me want to finish it. I only did because I autistically finish every book I start

Yeah, I said it because of the shirt mainly. Also her perfectly defined eyebrows and the barroque surroundings.

But how someone looks tells us little about them as a person, to be honest.

(Now i'm picturing her being shy and funny and added to how qt she is it's killing me, man)

if you can't read G&P in the original there's no way you could know it's better than the Recognitions

it tells us a lot

The nosejob scene is one of the most disgusting passages I have ever read.
Could not keep a straight face while reading it on the subway.

thanks for the useless comment, that really showed me!

is she Veeky Forums ?

no, but i could see her liking catcher in the rye, the bell jar, pride and prejudice etc.

if you consider a saggy-titted-cow to be Veeky Forums, definitely

>old hag
disgusting

laughed while reading your post. GR is not for you man. It's disorienting and NOT coherent at all. Your post basically sums up why I don't like GR, especially

>How am I supposed to care about any of the main characters when their plights are drowned in a sea of meandering experimentation

GR has like 400 characters and a plotline that people still haven't deciphered

hey man, when I read GR I felt a little bad for Slothrop at the end, and the shit that happened with Mexico and Pokler gave me some feels

just got this from her. shes the best

>The nosejob scene

I still haven't figured out if this is a meme or not. The only part of V. that was disturbing was Mondaugen's story and maybe V. in love.

Hi, /r9k/ incarnate.
Still not as bad as the /pol/ invasions...

what do you all think of the themes in this book?

Don't listen to that other guy, Gravity's Rainbow is actually a lot more coherent than V. I felt the same way as you, I thought that V. had a lot of good standalone stories but the entire thing felt kind of aimless, and I think this is a problem that Gravity's Rainbow fixes.

I didnt get any themes. Like, WHAT are the actual themes...
I get the dualities in the characters but I cant get any more themes. Maybe historical refefences?

Can this not be a thread about retards consoling each other for being too stupid to enjoy V.?

What has Veeky Forums become

Decadence, the triumph of the dead (inanimate) over the living (animate)

Also the need to look for a meaning or a connection in a chaotic world

The New York chapters are connected to the Stencil chapters if you pay attention to characters and locations and there's a clear unified intent behind the stencil chapters even if they seem like they're jumping between settings and groups of characters. It's not even vague, you just have to connect the dots in a way most books don't expect you to.