What is the reading list for the philosophy of language...

What is the reading list for the philosophy of language? I'm interested in such things as how language influences our world-view, how calling the same thing in different ways can make it appear differently and similar stuff.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linguistic_philosophy
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophy_of_language
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Start with the Greeks

By this I mean Aristotle's Organon.

I'm no expert but Owen Barfield has some interesting essays and books on that subject that I enjoyed.
Also read about semiotics. I just read about it on the internet.

The gift of storytelling may be one of life's most powerful...

Storytelling is not just a sensemaking or linguistic account, it is also about mattering

"the origin of consciousness and the breakdown of the bicameral mind" -Julian Jaynes

Also the subject you're interested in is nonsense.

In*
not and

>I'm interested in such things as how language influences our world-view, how calling the same thing in different ways can make it appear differently and similar stuff

Sadly, most philosophy of language does not deal with these topics.
I haven't looked into philosphy of mind, but perhaps you might also want to look there

Mattering and storytelling are in an intra-active relationship

on certainty, wittgenstein

>how calling the same thing in different ways can make it appear differently
That which we call a rose
By any other name would smell as sweet

I've always liked how Spanish uses the same verb for hoping and expecting/waiting. I wonder are anglos more pessimistic in comparison.

Intersubjectivity is considered crucial not only at the relational level but also at the epistemological and even metaphysical levels

Human beings have evolved to convey meaningful information through storytelling. It is this natural process of oration we harness to conduct deep exploratory insight

Imagineering which uses imaginative narrative to realize, create, or catalyze in real life the
potentials we are imagining – especially applying it as a networking and organizing tool

Linguist here, sadly the idea you guys are talking about (language influencing the way we think) is largely untrue. The boring truth of the matter is that no language is more happy/sad/technical/artistic/harsh/pleasant/etc. than any other language; these distinctions are just based on social constructs and aesthetic opinions.

Then why do I feel like a different person when I am speaking in different languages?
I am more cynic in Spanish, more open in English and more polite in Catalan.
If lexicon does not influence thought, does grammar play a part?

Not language purely in and of itself but as a social tool it's not free of social values hence structural difference do occur.

OP, just to be sure, are you asking about the Philosophy of Language or Linguistics Philosophy?

Because there is a key difference between the two;

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linguistic_philosophy
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophy_of_language

OP here.
>The boring truth of the matter is that no language is more happy/sad/technical/artistic/harsh/pleasant/etc.

Yes, I agree with you, but that's not what I was thinking about. I'm rather interested on how the grammatical system and vocabulary of a language influences our process of thinking.
For example, when I was a child, I thought that the horse is the cow's 'husband' because in my native language the horse has the masculine gender and the cow has the feminine one. Same thing with the representation of certain objects in art or literature: the sun is depicted with feminine features in some cultures and with masculine in other because the gender of this object varies among languages.

Syntactic structures desu

youtu.be/2rbJUuELBJ8

Schopenhauer, in his splendid essay called "On an Apparent Intention in the Fate of the Individual," points out that when you reach an advanced age and look back over your lifetime, it can seem to have had a consistent order and plan, as though composed by some novelist. Events that when they occurred had seemed accidental and of little moment turn out to have been indispensable factors in the composition of a consistent plot.

So who composed that plot? Schopenhauer suggests that just as your dreams are composed by an aspect of yourself of which your consciousness is unaware, so, too, your whole life is composed by the will within you. And just as people whom you will have met apparently by mere chance became leading agents in the structuring of your life, so, too, will you have served unknowingly as an agent, giving meaning to the lives of others.

The whole thing gears together like one big symphony, with everything unconsciously structuring everything else. And Schopenhauer concludes that it is as though our lives were the features of the one great dream of a single dreamer in which all the dream characters dream, too; so that everything links to everything else, moved by the one will to life which is the universal will in nature" Joseph Campbell

Underrated, once you start reading philosophy you'll realize that it's ALL philosophy of language. Aristotle is good to make you realize WHY people are talking about all of these issues, but I'd rec the metaphysics instead of the organon.

Russell, Kripke, Frege, Lewis are the moderns to check out.

Maybe try Pinker, and "Metaphors we Live By" by Lakoff & Johnson.