how come when u get older philosophy stops being as interesting

Other urls found in this thread:

theatlantic.com/science/archive/2016/04/the-illusion-of-reality/479559/
brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/f/friedrich_nietzsche.html
yoelinbar.net/papers/political_diversity.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

The redpill

its all the same shit

When you're young you feel like when your eyes are opened to new philosophy it might change your entire world are its very foundations in your eyes. Every new philosopher you come across brings about pic related.

When you're older you realize how little the world ever actually changes and you block out how much you can care about big questions like mortality and meaning because its not worth the stress

t. cunt who thinks philosophy is popular wisdom bullshit such as Stoicism.

also none of philosophy's "answers" are very satisfying long-term

Because you start realizing it's all made up bullshit that attempts to answer questions that no human can possibly know the answer to.

Plato
New Testament
Augustine

all you need

Pop philosophy is where the exciting material is. Husserlian phenomenology and Wittgensteinian ontology don't exactly get your heart pumping

>t. virgen

dementia

Is there like, pop philosophy groups, with waves of thirteen year old girls screaming and crying in the crowd when they debate?

Yeah, they call themselves the alt-right

That's why when you get older you lose interest, you're supposed to study more substantial things as you age.

Because as you get older you become wiser and the more you learn. You look back on previously held notions and beliefs and find them to be untrue and perhaps feel dejected by it. Or maybe you just become calloused and content in your ways no longer looking for mental challenge.

I don't think the same can be said for everyone nor does everyone lose interest with philosophy in age. Allow philosophy to grow with you and maybe accept a change in views.

Everything is nothing and nothing is everything.

Philosophy shouldn't be handing you answers and understanding on a silver platter in the first place. Perhaps you just lose interest and develop a lack of care.

Stop asking questions.

>Stop asking questions.

That's actually a good philosophy, but don't tell me, tell the asshole philosophers that.

the issue is it barely can at all

>tell the asshole philosophers that.
They wouldn't listen anyway

Only if you're an adolescent with a passing, trite interest in philosophy. Some people find those things you've mentioned to be very rewarding and interesting

Which is why I specifically said "heart pumping" you dimwit

My point is that people also find those things you mentioned exciting.

You have some idea of fun kid

by the grace of God.

Amen.

Because you realize that philosophy has no emancipatory powers, it won't make you enlightened and it's basically just mental gymnastics (which can have value in its own right, no disrespect).

This thread is depressing desu. I want to find truth you guys. There's no other reason to live.

Try some Buddhist philosophy. There is no one answer and you won't get it through just simply reading it, you'll have to live it. Same goes with much of philosophy, it's worthless just sitting there as printed word if you don't apply it.

I'll save you a lot of time, there's no such thing as truth. The human mind is a very flawed instrument, and it's what you use to perceive everything. Truth changes, person to person, culture to culture, sex to sex, etc...

It's subjective. Pick a truth and go with it, or don't, what fucking ever.

This, he gets it. It doesn't matter.

because they all take some unrealistic extreme approach, or assume things which aren't true, so they never accurately describe reality. Same issue with psychology. Each philosopher is essentially just yelling "FIRST" and going with it forever.

It doesn't. It becomes more interesting, which is why in my culture it's customary for old retirees to begin studying philosophy more seriously. You're probably just depressed.

>truth
In some remote corner of the universe, poured out and glittering in innumerable solar systems, there once was a star on which clever animals invented knowledge. That was the highest and most mendacious minute of "world history"—yet only a minute. After nature had drawn a few breaths the star grew cold, and the clever animals had to die.

As you get older and you mellow, you're more able to get more satisfaction out of somewhat less thrilling but still satisfying endeavors.

Except of course in the case of the most recent generations, because they never developed attention spans growing up and are forever impatient if there is no immediate payoff.

Release those thirteen year old girls you sickos.

Basically this. Why I only read fiction nowadays.

There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy.

It's a consequence of not being able to study it seriously. The novelty wears off because you can't find the true depth of the material by studying these works by yourself.

Underrated post

>I'll save you a lot of time
>non-sensical teenage ramblings
t-thanks senpai

hello underrato

We will all find out truth when we die, don't worry senpai

Our focus becomes more practical and mundane. Then you wanted to comprehend the nature of reality; now you want to make a couple extra bucks at work and get a little more respect, maybe figure out a way to connect with your gf a bit better.

maybe there's an evo basis for it. First explore then stabilize.

You're just projecting your anecdotal insights into a pseudo-science.

what a pleb

Become a scientist.

theatlantic.com/science/archive/2016/04/the-illusion-of-reality/479559/

How old are you, OP?

People who are saying "the redpill" and "alt-right" have a point, modern philosophy is dominated heavily by far-leftists and people quickly get more conservative as they age so they turn to religion as a suitable replacement.

Underrated post

Oh, fuck. They're too rekt to even call you a cuck.

>modern philosophy is dominated heavily by far-leftists

Do you disagree with that statement user?

Yes. That is what the implication arrow means.

22 years old and STILL a virgin

Even though Nobel prize-winners have criticize how homogeneous Political thought has become in Academia with only 5% philosophers having right of centre beliefs? Ok.

what philosophy have u read?

recently and in the past

Schopenhauer's essay on women
brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/f/friedrich_nietzsche.html

>plutocrats and mandarins
>leftist

Some of the most famous leftists in the past were not even college educated so it is easy to see why colleges are dominated by elitists.

so you're bait

nice

nice

not really, i just don't think you have to read the entire corpus of a philosopher to get their main ideas, that's why i stick to brainyquote

>22 years old and STILL a virgin
>STILL a virgin
should have been a red flag m8. stay informed.

>muh no true scotsman

Most philosophy departments are made up of old white people. They are not a very diverse place so it makes sense they would all have similar views.

When you analyze things you analyze them relative to the experiences you have.

Philosophies can establish certain axioms that in a vacuum make them seem like they're true.

However as you get older and your interactions with "the world" multiply, you experience a growing rate of cognitive dissonance when "real world consequences" don't match the theory.

This is usually where a certain split happens. Some will grow suspicious of philosophy while others will double down and find new ways to justify the perceived gap between what is happening and what was supposed to happen.

A big part of growing up is realizing there are things you don't know and that the whole scope of it is too big to be narrowed down to a philosophy or even multiple philosophies. A philosophy is really just one person's way of perceiving a certain thing. Though nobody can grasp and certainly not write down the whole, it's really just a read of how a certain person is interpreting something. Sometimes unfortunately with catastrophic consequences.

It doesn't make it okay or right

So what you want is affirmative action for right wing thought in philosophy?

What is right wing philosophy?

even if that was true, who gives a shit about modern philosophy

It's obvious what your trying to do and that particular user isn't falling for it but I'll bite:

Conservative professors are actively discriminated and conspired against; departments admit they're FAR more unlikely to hire a right-leaning candidate.

>Don't ask whether X is true, instead assume X to be true and ask why it is.
>Everyone falls for it and accepts X as true.

Source?

At some point you have discovered your own philosophy and will reject all others.

George Yancey is published a couple of papers and books about this, "Compromising Scholarship: Religious and Political Bias in American Higher Education" is the most relevant one. His best work is about the treatment of Black Conservatives ("Uncle Toms") though.

Also yoelinbar.net/papers/political_diversity.pdf

There esotericism or religion if you want something to FIND. Philosophy can't end in a FIND. It is always becoming, or at least in our lifetime it will be always in becoming.

Came here to post this. Well put.

Plato was a terrible philosopher and is incompatible with Christianity.
Yes, give them to me.
Truth doesn't exist.
>wite ppl r so bring

"truth doesn't exist"
So is that the first truth?

I can't see how people still seriously buy into this shit... I mean, it's just self-refuting. There is a bit of a difference between truth existing in itself and one's perception of it, eh!?

No. Go read more you idiot.

They admitted to a slight bias (average of 2/7) when it came to hiring (Table 2). They also showed unawareness at the number of conservatives in the department.

to answer your question:::
Because you either project your disappointment with your own life by deciding that nothing ultimately matters and life is pointless anyhow,

or

you loose sight of whatever propelled you to be curious. Not because "nothing matters", but because you no longer have any personal incentive to consider philosophy. I.e. you lost interest; fuck, you answered your own question dumbass.

To give OP a reality check:::
this. Aging doesn't guarantee you'll loose interest in something. Believing it does, probably means it will for you though.

No, dumbfuck, there is no such thing as truth, so there wouldn't be a first truth.

The human mind is not an organ that's designed to see truth, it's a biological instrument that shows a version of the real world, which can change from person to person.

You want truth? 99% of the shit going on around you, you have no sensory apparatus to detect. You can't see the radio waves from your phone or wireless mouse, you can't see that everything that radiates heat lights up like a goddamn light bulb and emits tons of infrared, you cant feel the magnetic pull of the earth, etc...

You expect this piece of shit tool to be able to detect truth somehow?

It's out of your grasp dude, just forget about it.

I think he's alluding to the story of the blind men and the elephant.

Which is true of course, except reality (the elephant) is about a trillion times as complex, and man has only one or two more senses than the blind men in order to figure out what it is.

lol at all of the philosophy majors freaking out in itt

>waves exist
top kek

It's because who you are.
All them people getting hyped up about a thought.
It's a way of life, not an hobby, if you see it just as an extention you won't be satisfied.

you read plato for socrates, not plato

You know what? I hate it when people say theres no such thing as truth. You know why? Its because you have this prejudice where truth needs to have this universal objectivity in accordance with some kind of definition instead of just accepting that truth occurs as a subjective experience of congruence or harmony between elements. To put the same concept differently, we have an experience of truth as a phenomena and this has validity but the predominately western world view would have it that you reject all subjective modes of truth experience qua the phenomena saying that they are not truth at all in favor of this 'objective' kind of aspiration. Whether 'truth' exists in some kind of platonic realm of forms inaccesible to us, the domain of some Christian God concept, or even a kind of mathematical/scientific accuracy, the definition of truth you use to iterate that no such thing as truth exists remains the definition of truth of the institution you direct your critical view toward. Why retain the definition of truth that you disagree with? Why not just change your definition of truth?

Well you're just arguing the definition of truth and saying

>But b-but...if it's my truth then it's true.

Ok, sure, go with that, most people do, doesn't matter. but don't start thinking your truth is universal and everyone is required to agree with your version of it.

Recognize that you're an idiot, who's making this shit up as he goes along, like the rest of us, and move on.

Uh, because its fun to make this shit up? Why would I move on? What to? I just think that having the kind of conversation I'm trying to start opens doors to consider truth as a function of other things, like power for example. You see, its interesting, unlike blithe reiterations of the notion that no such thing as truth exists. Or maybe, if Im being charitable, the concept that 'there is no such thing as truth' should be viewed as a rung on a lader which we can certainly move past.

Nothingness?

I've actually been in a coma twice and one of those times I stopped breathing (heart never fully stopped though). Not too bad design senpai, but no grand revelations either. Was definitely a lot different from being asleep though.

*Desu senpai

(Fucking autocorrect)

didnt want to start a shitstorm, sorry.

But my original post very much said that just because truth is inaccessible to us, it doesnt mean that ''truth doesnt exist''

and no allusion to the elephant analogy here really, although it doesnt mean that you cannot attribute it to me. Just generally irritated by these (primarily american) misunderstandings. I swear to god im not trolling here. but ''there is no truth'' is pretty much the first thing that gets taught in the first philosophy class in the US

>people quickly get more cowardly as they age
ftfy

>The human mind is not an organ that's designed to see truth
It's NOT an organ, lmao.
>it's time for Veeky Forums revelations

so ... it's true that we can't detect reality?

it's true that things happen beyond our senses?

it's true that there are radio waves?

not sure i know what you mean, user.

How long in total were you out for?

BS

>Aging doesn't guarantee you'll loose interest in something
While this is true, aging does cause a lot of people to lose interest in a lot of thing they used to enjoy. I don't enjoy Spongebob anymore. That's just one example.

keep believing it's death's responsibility, not yours

>incompatible with Christianity.
This might be the dumbest thing I've ever read on Veeky Forums. Do people on this board even read? Actually, you don't even have to have read to know this is blatantly untrue. Plato literally laid down the foundation for many christian beliefs.

>so ... it's true that we can't detect reality?

No, that isn't even true. Hell, the joke might be that we detect it just fine, but there's no way we could know.

>it's true that things happen beyond our senses?

No, you'd be forgetting solipsism.

>it's true that there are radio waves?

Once again, who knows? Maybe not. maybe they're a piece of something entirely bigger, maybe they're nothing.

>not sure i know what you mean, user.

It's pretty clear cut, dumbo. Ultimately, there's only questions, and answers will all fall apart at some point.

You could chose whatever truth you want, as long as you don't be a cock and say that everyone else needs to think the same as you, and you can go along with society in their version of it, or against it, or what the fuck ever.

It's actually pretty freeing.

>solipsism
what a cop out