What is McCarthy trying to convey with this book?

What is McCarthy trying to convey with this book?

Without God violence is only meaningless?

Violence is inherit in Man?

Man is an abomination?

Border policies?

People from the 1800s like to drink?

What?

people like to dance naked, that's all. where you getting that other shit, weirdo?

That the american Midwest looked like an alien world in the middle 1800s.

in a way, i feel mccarthy is challenging us to a higher morality. for the kid, violence is innate to the world, comprising his being, but yet he still shows a spark, a bit of light through some of his efforts. he can't fulfill the archetypal evil that is the nature of the judge and is consumed, but even at some point the judge recognizes that soon there will be a falseness in things, but in a sense he's right, the dance is eternal, the cycle of violence innate, in whatever forms it changes too.

Nature is violent, indifferent to suffering and inextricable. And yet it has build us that are able to be the opposite with the power of will.

You are way over thinking this. It's an allegory for the gold standard.

Memes

It takes place in the 1840's.

War is god and sodomy in an outhouse is horrific.

That he has better prose than Pynchon and his predecessor Faulkner

That he's in love with his own prose and this gives him the impression he has something to say.

Anyone who talks about the ending as if it was certainly rape clearly looked up "blood meridian ending explained" after they finished reading

Just read the book for the first time. Why was The Judge depicted as having childlike features? Being fairless, babyface etc. At first I thought it was to imply he was more than human by shedding the animalistic parts of human nature (bodyhair in this instance) also he enjoys dancing like a kid. Even in the final moments of the novel where we get a glimpse into his psyche he seems childish. I don't rightly understand.

Was Glanton's character about make impotence btw? That's what I gathered.

*hairless, male

>Glanton spat
Yeah it's about premature ejaculation obviously.

It could also simply be an aesthetic choice to further indicate the uncanniness of the Judge

Bump

He's the spirit of primeval human brutality, a hulking muscle-bound infant who takes innocent delight in destroying all he takes in.

Source: My imagination; have never read BM

Isnt the story, and the judge, loosely based off some diary of a dude that actually was in the gang. And in the diary he described the judge as this huge, white, hairless babyface

Is rape the general idea of the ending? I always thought it was the murdered kid who owned the bear. But for OP, the novel is mostly concerned with violence. I think your idea about its prevalence in man is a strong one, but really anything you pull out about violence probably has some validity.

Why does he have to necessarily convey anything? Why can't people simply be writing stories for the sake of writing stories?

my nigga

Yes, the mid 1800s.

underrated post

Not the user you were talking to, but the mid 1800's could be misconstrued as sometime around 1805, 1806. The correct term for the period between 1800-1899 is the 19th century, user.

Yeah, my diary desu

Because The Judge represents a sort of default, archetypal human. He is very intelligent, often playful, even friendly at times, but enveloping it all is his irrational inclination for violence.

agreed, the whole rape thing makes sense i suppose, but doesn't it read pretty far between the lines? And I mean, does it being rape even change the scene in any meaningful way as opposed to just a case of extreme violence? I never really understood the grandstanding about "the kid got raped" that goes on on this board.

It's greatly exaggerated in BM. The real holden was tall, like 2 meters, but he had hair despite his babyface.

>Midwest

this

also the book sucked
puffery that led nowhere

To me it felt much more sinister and paranormal than rape or mere violence
It felt like the judge was doing something unimaginable to the Man, something that even in a book that explicitly describes murder, rape, scalping, and death, couldn't be said

>but the mid 1800's could be misconstrued as sometime around 1805, 1806.

No.

That corncobbers will eat tortilla-laced shit and ask for seconds so long as it's packaged the right way.

The part when they get to Chicago and the Judge dunks that babies head in a boiling pie of go za will haunt me forever.

McCarthy is fucking sick

In Will Chamberlain's 'My Confessions' Judge Holden was described as Hairless, Cormac misunderstood that a man without a beard was colloquially called 'Hairless' back then.

Cormac gets too much credit for literally (miss)construing a lot of what he read in 'My Confessions'

It's kinda' like watching a bunch of pseuds at a modern art museum praise some abstract painting, which was actually a finger painting from a 4 year old autistic child.

I still love the book though, by the way

Fuck, I meant Sam Chamberlain. I swear I'm not that retarded

I think this is the actual intention. The answer is that we don't know what happened, all we know is that the Kid's fate is apparently more vile than any of the prior violence of the book, for it to be the one act not to be depicted.

this book has a load of philosopical rambling

I wish I knew. I do think it's the pinnacle of post-modern irony.

He's a hack author with nothing to say and somehow people praise him.

I bet he laughs his ass off all day knowing that America allowed someone with a 4th grade education to be revered as a great literary personality.

inherent

inherit is a verb that means something else

allusion is now consider misconstruing?

>"Whoever would seek out his history through what unraveling of loins and ledgerbooks must stand at last darkened and dumb at the shore of a void without terminus or origin and whatever science he might bring to bear upon the dusty primal matter blowing down out of the millennia will discover no trace of any ultimate atavistic egg by which to reckon his commencing."
I'd say it's to reflect his timeless nature, a man-baby without age or change. He might also be like a homunculus, embodying the dark essence of people. Or cherub-like, as a fallen angel or offspring of some cosmic corruption.

I doubt he misunderstood. Holden is depicted clearly with hair in Chamberlain's paintings that appear in the published editions of his book. McCarthy just took it and elaborated it for his own purposes.

A fascinating study on trees of dead babies.

that actually sums it up pretty fucking well

God exists, but he ain't here. The devil is.