/sqt/ - Stupid Question Thread: Qubit Edition

Post your questions that don't deserve their own thread in here.

Previous thread:
Will we be able to shitpost faster on quantum computers?

Other urls found in this thread:

khanacademy.org/math/differential-equations/laplace-transform/properties-of-laplace-transform/v/laplace-transform-of-the-unit-step-function
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resistor
gyazo.com/540adcf472626f9a957ac59e33f6f73a
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

quantum computing would mean all posting is faster. This obviously means that there will be a huge increase in useless shitposts, but it also means the super rare quality post becomes common.

>Will we be able to shitpost faster on quantum computers?

We can mine tripfaggotry faster as far as i know...

underrated

y witen is saad??? :(

because his theory is bullshit

In Gauss-Legendre quadrature, you can increase the order of the approximation by playing with the weights Wi and the function evaluations Xi, so you can accurately integrate functions up to order 2n - 1. But how can you actually find the Xi separately from solving a system of non-linears?

If some optimal Xi exist, wouldn't finding them essentially reduce the order of the quadrature method back down to n - 1? You only have the weights to play with if you know the best values for all of the Xi terms.

>Will we be able to shitpost faster on quantum computers?
Unless your shitposting relies on solving a problem in BQP or something, probs not.

>inb4 future captcha require solving problems in BQP

How would you find the voltage between the two red points on either side? The top battery is 4V and bottom is 1V.

Can quantum computing fasten the development of AIs?

better than clicking on google street view images all day long

no

I have this equation for finding the n-th member of a sequence.
[eqn]A_n=3^n+2^{n+1}[/eqn]

How do I find the recursive equation of the sequence, ie something like this?
[eqn]A_n=A_{n-1}[/eqn]

>An=An−1

I just need to find the recursive formula that uses the previous member of the sequence to compute the next one. My english is not that good, so included it as an general image what I'm searching for.

idk is this what you want?

A_n
= 3^n+2^(n+1)
= 3(3^(n-1))+2(2^(n))
= 3^(n-1)+3^(n-1)+3^(n-1)+2^n+2^n
= 3^(n-1)+2A_(n-1)

god fucking damnit im retarded

thanks

AI will be as 'smart' as the algorithm written for it. Anyone unironically believing in AI learning is uneducated. If robots destroy humanity it'll be because some amoral fag designed them to.

Kirchoff cutting the circuit in that points. The upper side must have the same current of the lower side. Sorry for bad english

Voltage equations, (Kirchhoff law). Find for both Ua and Ub, then Uab = Ua - Ub.

The currents aren't equally divided because the resistors are different in each branch. Iin = I1 + I2, Iin = Iout.

Whats a good tutorial for learning LaTeX? For all manner of purposes, not just posting here like the one on the Veeky Forums wiki.

just start writing stuff and when you need something you don't know look it up.

gents, how do I laplace transform this thing

This. You can start from a simple file you found somewhere, and just replace stuff in it. Also a good editor helps at first.

You can also switch to XeLatex as soon as you'll need to type utf8 chars (the only difference is that it requires other packages to specify encoding and language). It also supports pstrick better, for example to draw graphs of functions.

khanacademy.org/math/differential-equations/laplace-transform/properties-of-laplace-transform/v/laplace-transform-of-the-unit-step-function

What is the best way to think abstractly

think of it like computer parts

you start with the logic circuits
bunch of logic circuits together make a component
bunch of components make a bigger component
this component interacts with other components

This image always confused me. How does the number of holes influence electrical conductance? Is it because there are more paths for electricity to take?

Will quantum computing help me suck my own dick?

Resistors in parrallel add inversely maybe? That's my brainlet take on it

Yeah, sorry that's what I was trying to get at when I was talking about more paths lol. That's how I remember that resistors add inversely in parallel. It's like using 5 straws to drink water instead of 1.

Look for the essence of what the abstraction is trying to capture, don't get hung up on the language or notation.

Strive for the most minimalist explanations possible. Ask yourself "Does this piece of information need to be here?"

Always look for the simplest explanation, don't get lost in the technical jargon. Try to state your assumptions and conclusions in plain English.

iam beginner in general topology , sorry i cant help u user

its means everting is component of component?

>Strive for the most minimalist explanations possible. Ask yourself "Does this piece of information need to be here?"
>Always look for the simplest explanation, don't get lost in the technical jargon

Useful tips

nigger have you even tried, it took me literally 30 seconds

[math]A_n=3^n+2^{n+1}, A_{n-1}=3^{n-1}+2^n[/math]
[eqn]A_n=3\cdot 3^{n-1}+2\cdot 2^n=3(A_{n-1}-2^n)+2(A_{n-1}-3^{n-1})=5A_{n-1}-3\cdot 2^n-2\cdot 3^{n-1}[/eqn]

What are some math problems that are made up of individual tasks that come together at the end?

I'm trying to find a problem to program parallelism with, to increase efficiency of. The more unique and interesting the better.

So I saw this shitpost and it's bugging me because it's making too much sense when it shouldn't. Can anyone explain to a guy who isn't into math why it's bullshit?

I'm at the other end, I dont get it at all. I don't see the relation between the roots and the dimensions

look at the picture of resistors in parallel here:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resistor

you can see that in this circuit, there's a direct relation between the number of resistors and the number of holes (n-1 holes for n resistors).

if someone surgically removed all of their digestive organs, how long would they live before complete systemic failure?

no whitey

You can survive for at least a month without eating. Take out the liver or the reins, I don't think you'll be well for more than a day.

so i've been solving some thermodynamics exercises on the side, and now my brain shut down

how do i go on about finding the entropy change for water at 110c, if im given, enthalpies of vaporization, and heat capacities for the gas and liquid phases?

im not asking for a solution, mind you, just the right equation to use, or a kick in the right direction

gyazo.com/540adcf472626f9a957ac59e33f6f73a

What's the issue with this Mathematica code lads? Why won't it solve my equation?

I'm doing khanacademy, should I precalculus or trigonometry first?

tri

Hey guys, is the following true: Let [math]a

studying for a stats exam, I understand all the equations and how to explain values and shit.

I just don't understand the difference between Bonferroni's procedure and Scheffe's test. I met with prof today and she said they were essentially the same thing, and judging by the problems given in the study guide, it seems like they ARE the same thing.

from the study guide:
>The method used to make planned comparisons that involves dividing the total significance level by the number of comparisons to be made is the Bonferroni Procedure.

Except I did literally that in the question before, which had us conduct a Scheffe's test, so what's the difference between the two?

no. of course not.

really? why?
Not the poster just asking.

define a function that is convex in [a,b] and [c,d] and concave in [b,c]

[b,c] is the empty set...

> A_n = A_n-1

Are you trying to stack overflow me on this one, son?

anyone?

This is probably a real stupid question, but can someone explain to me what a professor actually is? I know it's a person with a PhD who also has the academic grade of Professor and teaches at universities while doing research, and is often the head of a department (but not necessarily).

But the reason i'm asking is: in the anime Detective Conan, there is a guy called professor Agasa, and i just realized that he never taught any classes in the 800 episodes of the show. And he's too young to be retired. he mentioned being in his early 50s in some episode.

If [math]f[/math] is an odd function, how do i prove [math]f(x)=f(|x|)[/math]? i get it intuitively but dont know how to prove it

shit i meant even

Greater surface area for electron flow

I might be crazy, but isn't that literally the definition of an even function? How do you want to prove something that you define?

why is 'vagina' bolded

I guess one way to do it is using Fourier analysis. Show that the function is made up of a linear combination of only cosine functions and then use the fact that cosine is even. But then you'd have to prove that cosine is even, which is kind of a definition as said.

If x>=0, then f(|x|)=f(x) because x=|x|
if x

I mean even, and you meant even too

I'm the poster, I don't think that you got the question right. I have two overlapping intervals [math][a,b][/math] and [math][c,d][/math] and [math]f[/math] is defined on the whole [math][a,d][/math]. Assuming that I know that [math]f[/math] is convex on [math][a,b][/math] and [math][c,d][/math] does it imply that [math]f[/math] is convex on the whole interval [math][a,d][/math]?

I'm buying a new battery for my laptop, and I did some quick math last night to see which is a better value, an 8800mAh or 4400mAh batter. Can someone tell me if my equations make any sense? You'll see where I go with it.
So, first I calculated the [math]\frac{mAh}{\$}[/math] for each battery. This lets me know which battery has a better cost effectiveness of each battery. The larger, 8800mAh battery has [math]\frac{101.2mAh}{\$}[/math] and the 4400mAh battery has [math]\frac{88.1mAh}{\$}[/math]. So, the larger battery is 15% more cost effective. This is a nice thing to know, but it still doesn't tell me if I should bother with the larger battery or not as 15% isn't very significant in my eyes (except that a 15% cost effectiveness difference, along with twice the capacity is significant). So, I next calculated that the larger battery costs 74% more than the smaller battery.
The reason I make this post is because of the next equation, I'm wondering if it yields any useful information, or if I'm just playing around too much. My aim is to use the Cost Ratio (how much each battery costs, relative to each other) and the Cost Effectiveness of each battery, yielding something like an 'Effective Value' for each battery. The smaller battery is given a cost ratio of 1, since the larger battery is defined by dividing its cost by the smaller batterys cost.
[eqn]\frac{\frac{101.2mAh/\$ }{1.74}= 58.16}{\frac{88.1mAh/\$ }{1}= 88.1}= \frac{58.16}{88.1}= 0.66[/eqn]
So, the larger battery has an effective value of 0.66, meaning the smaller battery is a better option. Is my math and logic sound, Veeky Forums?

>meaning the smaller battery is a better option.
I think it's only the better option if you plan to buy more than 1 battery. Look at the denominators of your final equation (1.74 and 1). The unit is effectively "number of small batteries costwise". So it's saying you can get almost 2 small batteries for the price of 1 large battery. So what you calculated as .66 is the ratio between the small and large batteries' mAh per dollar per # of small batteries. I'm not sure what these units mean and if maximizing it is any use to you, but that's just something to consider.

for emphasis
why else

anyone?

>difference between Bonferroni's procedure and Sheffe's test

Thanks for that insight, that helps me think about this better. I'm not trying to maximize any value, there's no variables, I'm just trying to see which battery has a better value.
Essentially, I should've began with this: 74% more for twice as much capacity. So, obviously from this we see that for less than the price of two small batteries I get the capacity of two small batteries. Thanks user, my original equations were sleep-deprived pillow thoughts.

Don't think of it as abstraction, think of it as minimalism. A good way to get started is to think in extremes, think about the boundary of a concept. How much can you remove from a definition without losing the meaning of the concept? After how much removing does the thing become indistinguishable from anything else?

What do you think of the scientific field of Psychology?

With all else held constant, why does increasing the radius of a pulley increase its angular acceleration?

Because he sounds like faggot with helium in his lungs

Is there any kind of complete CompSci course online?
I mean, no missing CSXXX

A function is even if f(x) = f(-x).

If x > 0, f(x) = f(/x/) since x = /x/.

If x < 0, f(-x) = f(/x/) since -x = /x/. But f(-x) = f(x) by definition. Therefore f(x) = f(/x/).

what am I doing wrong here. Never use excel and keep getting error for this formula. Just trying to take average of cells in B only including numbers that are greater than 300 and less than 1600.

studying probability

if my random sample size of my population is equal to the size of the sample space, i essentially get the distribution of the sample space right?

REEEEEEEEEE
WITEN HAS AWAKEN

What is sci's opinion on introduction to mathematical proofs courses?

They're required at my university and surprisingly people don't know this shit. The people going into teaching are the ones that usually don't know it beforehand (it's a third year class).

The important naive set theory and proof techniques can be covered in a week long seminar or something equivalent to be honest.

probably the most important math class you'll take. not for the content of what you learn, but because it teaches you how to think. if you can't do proofs on that class then you'll struggle in algebra, analysis or any other proof class

how do I prove that

[eqn](\forall \epsilon \in \mathbb{R})(\forall \delta \in \mathbb{R}) ( \epsilon < \delta \Rightarrow \delta > \epsilon ) [/eqn]

probably the least important math class you'll take. mathematical maturity cannot be taught nor can anyone other than yourself supply you with lucidity. It is a waste of time course and something that we in the business call "brainlet life support"

trivial

i think use contradiction, then contradiction will arise immediately because you will get something like A and not A are true.

ATTENTIONAL STATISTICIANS

WHAT THE FUCK IS DIFFERENCE BETWEEN SAMPLE MEAN AND MEAN, OR VARIABILITY WITH STANDARD DEVIATION

Change > for

the average IQ among all people is 100. Alice and Bob have IQs of 110 and 95, respectively. Mean=100, sample mean=102.5.

Usually a < b is the only thing defined, and b > a is shorthand for the same thing. You also usually have trichotomy, which says for all a and for all b, exactly one holds: a < b, b < a, or a = b.

So with this in mind, it's going to depend on what axioms you have and what definitions you were given.

it doesnt

>its a third year course

Are there cool things you can do with sets?

hello.
how the fuck does a secondary spermatocyte with one n chromsome produce two cells with n chromosomes?
Does this diagram mean that primary spermatocyte has 4n, then secondary spermatocyte 2n and the spermatids and spermatozoa n?

Read ur friggin book

nope. literally nothing.

Wouldn't quantum computing make deep learning more efficient?

Suppose I had the following:

Random variable $$Y = X_1 + X_2 + ... + X_n$$, where $$X_i$$ are independent and identically distributed.

I know that $$E[Y] = n * E[X]$$.

What is $$Var(Y)$$?

$$Var(Y) = Var(X_1 + X_2 + ... + X_n) = Var(n * X_i) = n^2 * Var(X_i) $$?

Or because the $$X_i$$ are independent, can I just claim that $$Var(Y) = Var(X_1) + Var(X_2) + ... + Var(X_n) = n * Var(X_i)?$$

yeah variance of independent rvs is the sum of the variances

difference between homologous chromosomes and sister chromatids and understanding what n is referring to.

primary spermatocyte will have 2n=46. each pair of homologous chromosomes is formed of 2 sister chromatids. technically you will have 92 total chromosomes but n represents chromosomes in a single set

meiosis I gives 2 secondary spermatocyte by separating the homologous chromosome pairs (but each pair is still composed of 2 sister chromatids). this is considered n=23 because once again n refers to chromosome sets and not sister chromatids and each secondary spermatocyte has half the chromosome set.

During meiosis II the sister chromatids are separated giving rise to 2 cells that are also considered n=23.

I don't know if that explanation is fully correct or even understandable because I just skimmed through my old bio book. But just review the terms for chromosomes and what n means and draw out an example of meitosis and meiosis with a small set of like 3 chromosomes