What do we need to happen before living in space is not a big deal?

What do we need to happen before living in space is not a big deal?

Is it just a matter of time, are we just waiting for the economics and infrastructure to catch up, or are there some huge technical hurdles?

When will it be inhabited for normies working at the space equivalent of their pleb jobs? How long until I can live and travel in space extremely cheaply, like a space backpacker?

I'm going to assume that space mining is really the big thing that needs to happen, we need resources, we need a lot, and we need them in orbit. Then we can start production in space, and costs will come way down.

I put my conservative estimate to be around 100 years from now, my realistic estimate at 101-300 years and my hyper realistic estimate to be never because humanity will die out before then. Anyways, it is a combo of time, tech and infrastructure that we need to overcome. Space has plenty of resources, but that would cause massive inflation. If we want to colonize space, we need massive changes to our own planet and our domestic problems first.

I think in 100 years with improvements in AI and Robotics life will get very cozy on earth. At least in rich countries people will have universal income and only a few work hours a week. Only poor people in shit countries will be motivated to colonize space.

>What do we need to happen before living in space is not a big deal?

1) cost of puting things in orbit needs to go down a lot, REALLY A LOT.

2)biological difficulties of spacefaring must be definitely adresed. Low g, centrifuges rad shielding.

3)some improvements to closed ecological systems must be made, it's just too expensive to keep putting everything up, even with low launch prices. it doesnt have to be a perfect closed loop, but much better efficiency than we can pull off now.

4)we need a real economic reason to go there. Most likely ones are: overpopulation of earth and mining of extremely rare earth minerals. To a minor degree science and thirst for adventure will cooperate, but both of them by themselves are not enough to get it done

A way to block radiation and nuclei moving near c, that isn't several meters of lead. Even a short trip to Mars would likely cause brain damage to the point where they wouldn't be very functional on arrival.

>Even a short trip to Mars would likely cause brain damage to the point where they wouldn't be very functional on arrival.

what you said is close to the true, but youd have to replace every word with the phrase " im a retard without scientific education talking out of mya ss"

We will have to become artificial life. Were adapted to a terrestrial enviornment. To live in space, we will have to be adapted to a space enviornment.

Mad lad Musk is pushing for 24 hr refit times before sending his reusable boosters back up with new payloads. Just sit back and let the US keep throwing money at space contractors, its only a matter of time. But it will NEVER be normal to a poorfag or middleclassfag in our lifetime. But I am looking forward to watching the rich dig trenches on mars for humanity.

Truth doesn't generally make people happy.

sure, but it makes me happy to be superior to you and know that what you said is 100% false

Too bad it's not. You simply can't face reality.

HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA

oh my so good to beat over you, nothing personel kid.

brb see you right back in a couple of years in this palce where humanmusk kind is walking on mars and youre crying like a little bitchy bitch toy our momma saying " WHY DID THE INTERNET STRANGER WON OVER ME SO SOS OSO BADLY?!?!?!"

The brain can't repair itself and will rapidly accumulate damage, you'd know why if you knew anything about space or the basics of human neuroscience. Read a book.

>What do we need to happen before living in space is not a big deal?
Cheap transport and a real urgent need to live there.

>we are replacing all the mining and trucking jobs with robots whenever possible but for some reason we won't be doing it in space
Face it, there is no reason for massive human presence in space outside tourism (which will get old really fast as people realist that it is just sitting in a tin can and shitting in diapers for several days or weeks)

>overpopulation of earth

That is not going to be a factor. If the Earth is ever seriously overpopulated, like to the extent that the CLub of Rome would finally feel vindicated, you'd have to move billions or trillions of people to make a dent in it. That ain't happening

A couple of quick wars is much more economical.

Lead is good for certain forms of radiaiton, but not all.

Lead works well against X-rays and gamma rays.

However, it is almost useless against neutron radiation (nuclear reactors use tanks of water and sheets of polyethelene to block neutrons).

For radiation in space, the majority of it makes lead an even worse choice. The problem comes in the form of beta radiation, which are esentially free electrons. These are emitted in solar wind.

The problem comes when they hit dense metals like lead. It releases x-rays. So during a solar event, or passing a planet's radiation belts, the crew gets bathed in x-rays. Not exactly a good thing.

An aluminum outer hull will work against the majority of beta radiation.

Other radiation forms can be handled by layers of polyethelene. If bladders of water surround the crewed sections, that can work as well.

The storm shelter that is also proposed would likely have polyethelene "bricks" or small tanks of water surrounding it, to give added protection.

While it won't help solve overpopulation, it WILL benefit from voters demanding governments be seen to be doing something to help.

I concede that possibility.

it will always be a big deal, you realise we're not attuned for anything beyond Earth, right? Shit even some places in Earth aren't so great for most humans.

There are blatant issues with humans in space but even more so there are thousands of nuanced complications, many that we probably won't know of till someone spends a lifetime in space or in very specific scenarios.

If you mean exiting our atmosphere and gravity then that's dependent on improved methods of thrust. Conventional rockets are shit, invent something (or multiple things) that gets us up there, cheaply. Then you'll see a burst in research stations, resource collection, all sorts of things. However you probably will never see it to be a normalised living space. Earth has lots of room and doesn't kill us with thousands of health complications (actually it does but they're more passive than space complications).

Race wars ought to solve overpopulation problems real quick, no need to go to space . Just do it right and leave no survivors and no trace of their culture, language and history.

needs to be cheaper

Included in the cost of living in space is being charged for the air you breathe.

t. Babylon Five

If we put 1/10th of world GDP toward space travel, and did this for 50 years, we would still be mostly in a rut.

THAT is how difficult (safe, with reasonable durations) space travel is.

>reasonable durations
that's why you have to give up on that part of it. One way generational colony ships that become orbital command platforms when they reach the colonization target world are the way to go.

No one is going to be making trans warp speed propulsion systems or even 90%C systems so you just have to get used to the idea that you measure distances to colony worlds in terms of generations born during transit.

Some worlds are 5 generations away, some are 150 generations away.

We should be pointing these escape pods at as many worlds as possible as fast as possible cause at the rate were going now the planet wont be able to support us at the technological complexity level necessary to launch life boats.