Well, Veeky Forums?

I'm gay

Purchasing books is a categorical imperative. Ebooks, although convenient, provide the avenue for a lapse in ethics.

Shut up, nigger.

I forgive your verbal transgression, brother

I don't have hard opinions on how you should get your reading done because i'm an adult and I have sex with women.

Jesus?

Why not both?

I like ebooks for convenience but I prefer the printed text and I like owning the printed text especially for future reference, collecting, rereading, and lending.

I do like reading on my kindle and the kindle app on my phone in places like work and times when I didn't have a printed book with me. If I like the ebook enough, I might buy it again in print.

E-readers are great for hard to find stuff. Still have a big library that I can get comfy in

How much truth is there that people can't remember stuff read on an eReader?

both have their uses. e-readers are for obscure shit that you have to order for $30 or some shit otherwise, paper books are for decorating your living space and looking pretentious.

I "Kant" believe it.

>mfw reading on a 7.8" screen (Kobo Aura One)
Screenlets, when will they learn?

Is it worth it? Seriously considering one, though it's double the price of the next model.

I liked the big screen but my Kindle is much more comfy to hold, even for someone like me with big hands.

I never, EVER, read ebooks. I don't read a book unless I acquire a physical copy. Because for me having it on my shelf, holding it in my hand, knowing it's safe in case of a power outage, knowing it will be sitting on that shelf for years to come in my safety for years to come and will always be there to gaze at wondrously, is more than a shitty kindle with it's tiny depressing little screen could ever give me. And especially when it's an everyman's library book, with it's stitched binding, beautiful vanilla pages, fabric cover, and understated scholarly design.

eReader because I'm a fan of the planet.

>he is young enough to have this attitude and not have a 7000 square foot house covered in books, to the point that your wife demands that you either open a bookstore or start using a kindle

>using up a tree
vs
>wastefully producing electronic components which pollutes the oceans and atmosphere, components which will either inevitably end up in a landfill where its battery acid will leak into the water table, or will be incinerated, releasing god-knows-what kind of carcinogens into the air we all have to breathe because youre fucking stupid and didnt buy a book

My eReader's made of hemp, pal

Neither, just go to the fucking library

Do you think there were people in like the 16th century who insisted only handwritten books are real books and scoffed at the popularization of the printing press?

>he is whipped enough to not keep buying books anyways

lol sounds like you need to read On Women.

no, it's stupid. you want something small and lightweight.

Giving your hard earned money to greedy jews is hardly moral. Not to mention the best writers are already dead.

By?M

I only read books on my phone. Give me a good reason to change.

>buy e-books
>you don't actually own anything

That's what bugs me about e-books. With real books you have a physical copy no one can take from you arbitrarily.

it doesn't matter how you consume literature. one person who has read x has read x and thats it.

0%. do you not remember anything read online either

Same boat. I wish there was a smaller kobo with the orange tint feature-thing

biblio brother reporting in. If I didn't use the library I would have spent over 700$ on books every year

>not breaking the DRM and copying your purchased ebooks onto your computer
Also all this "ownership" Stallman philosophizing means nothing because most books will just disintegrate with age. Digital, physical, all formats won't last forever.

Well kept books can last a lot longer than a lifetime. I hope to leave a sizable library to my kids one day

Both, faggot

This
>want to read a book
>nomoney
>download it from libgen and read it on Kindle
>buy it physically when you actually have money
best of both worlds

fuck finding squashed bugs inbetween the pages, torn pages, waiting weeks to borrow what you want, getting there and back just to return it...

ebooks have the best selection and are the most convenient

They will sell them all for nickles.

t. Estate sale browser

>buy it physically when you actually have money
Except nobody does this.

t. unashamed pirate

It's cheaper to use my Kobo seeing as how I pirate my books. I buy some physical books though.

I do that though. Not for moral reasons, I just like physical books.

Reminds me of that one screencapped thread where an autist is bitching about a kid trying to swipe physical pages and moaning about becoming a Luddite because of it. Then other Veeky Forumsizens reply in roleplay complaining about the rise of printed books over handwritten and the rise of books in general over papyrus scrolls.

Times change. E-readers are the future. You can make one transaction to purchase a good one and collect thousands upon thousands of ebooks in external storage drives for free. Doing this doesn't stop you from buying physical copies if you want to, but the "muh bound book" crowd that religiously hates ereaders annoys me.

Only thing I'm concerned about is longevity... How long does an eReader last on average?

I get books for convenience (when they're obscure and not yet turned to ebooks) but I prefer the silken ereader screen for aesthetics.

It really comes down to what you want. If you want convenience, buy the books. If you want dat aesthetic, get an ereader.

I think it's 40 hours solid reading. That might be vastly off though.

No, I mean how long do the devices last. I'm not buying another every year.

Forever, assuming you don't shit on it.

I use both desu. Ereader is more convenient and portable, plus it has built-in dictionaries which are a lifesaver for reading in English and German. The downside is that sometimes is hard to find nice editions of books. But I don't mind paying money for a well edited book.

One of the most surprising upsides of using an ereader is that my physical collection is a lot nicer and personal. The only books I get in print anymore are rereads, art books and illustrated ones, and nice editions of classics. There's also the occasional 2nd hand deal, but that's just because I can't help myself.

I would recommend an ereader to anyone who reads frequently, because it pays for itself quite fast. And if you're learning a foreign language, it is a must IMO.

Both is obviously the answer.

I will always go for a physical copy of the book (usually second-hand book) if I can find a decent edition/translation in good condition and at an affordable price.

If I can't find the book, if it is too expensive or if the book is small (400pgs or less), I usually read it in my Kindle on my PC or phone, unless its a book I really like, then maybe I buy a copy.

Although I like physical books better, there are undeniable advantages on using an e-reader:
>free books
>capacity to carry thousands and thousands of pages wherever you want to go in the weight of your phone
>do not need a source of light to read

If I shat money and lived in a mansion I would only use real books.

But e-books are just too convenient for people who travel a lot. They're comfortable too.

Books are beautiful objects, and each is beautiful in a different way.

E-readers can be beautiful objects, but they make every book beautiful in the same way.

faget

I got into reading again because I bought a kindle.

Pros:
>I enjoy reading at night, Kindle is perfect for that
>E-books are cheaper
>No wait time
>You can read the first 3 chapters for free

Cons
>It's not aesthetic

Neither con nor pro
>its 80€ but I'm not a poorfag so I don't really care

I like it

A few years with lots of reading.
The battery is the first to go, so if it's replaceable in some way, your reader should last for much longer. I don't think the screens have any wearing down problems.

Why hasn't anyone made a solar powered eReader yet?

Seems like a no-brainer given the low power consumption.

I listen to audio books because I'm a faggot and I like to listen to things as I work.

because no one reads in the sun and you might as well just plug it in when you aren't using it. plus where are you going to put the solar panels

You never had one of those handheld calculators with a small row of solar cells?

I do. Run like mad to some secluded space, bring out kindle for an hour or two, and then run back home.

Pirating makes ebooks too attractive. The only things I've ever not been able to pirate were obscure manuals and shitty educational stuff.

I'm thinking heavily about an Aura One once they become more available.

I haven't tried an e-reader. Are they better than normal screens? I can't read long texts in a computer or tablet.
What kind of shit library do you attend?

im on 5 with my touch

neither, i read on my phone

>tfw when the entirety of blood meridian on my massive chinkphone

yes, they are miles better, i don't find reading on a kindle any more taxing on the eyes than a book

still sometimes like to hold and turn the pages of the book tho

Just ducking into this thread to remind you manchildren about R values.

> R-val·ue

>noun

>plural noun:R-values

>the capacity of an insulating material to resist heat flow. The higher the R-value, the greater the insulating power.

I see... But what does this have to do with the violent fluid dynamics of your mother's rectum?

I would assume if user has lined user's abode with paper books for their insulating power, user has similarly devised and arranged user's library set up for absorbency.

What about an AMOLED screen with black bg and warm color text. Why wouldn't that be easy on the eyes?

I bet you kiss girls faggot

I will never understand why you fags keep buying into this false dichotomy where those retarded e-readers are somehow the alternative to physical books. Just read PDFs on a normal laptop or phone, buying a shitty crippled tablet that can only display text because muh e-ink is irredeemably stupid.

>please give me attention

This is precisely the reason why no one likes faggots. You guys just tout yourselves for attention. Everyone is fed up, and quite frankly, they don't give a shit about you guys either. Why the hell do you think Trump won? Liberal fucking loser, you are. No one will ever accept homosexuality until you guys just shut the fuck about it. Fucking kill yourself, bug-chasing pedophile.

E reader on my phone for SURE! EVER TRY MOVING WITH A LIBRARY OF BOOKS? FUCK THAT I CAN TAKE A SHIT AT WORK EITH 5 JILLION BOOKS IB MY POCKET

Amazing thoughts

In the long run it's cheaper to just use a Kindle. So that last point can go to pros

i like books gets me away from screens

I've had my Paperwhite for 3 years. It's fucking awesome and doesn't seem to have depreciated since day 1.

Damn son you're way too mad. I'm not actually gay I just wanted to derail a thread that's here twice a day. God damn I wasn't even trying to troll.

>uck finding squashed bugs inbetween the pages, torn pages, waiting weeks to borrow what you want, getting there and back just to return it...
lol do you live in the ghetto or something

The used bookstore I go to invited me to their Christmas party.

do it, friend

I have a waterproof kindle and a solar panel.

Checkmate, feggets.

Also, it's never been off airplane mode.

same, actually.

do it might be able to fuck a qt

>used bookstore

>qt

Not likely...

really all the ones at mine are qt hipster grills

>qt

>hipster

yeah...those two don't mix well.

Problem is, the kind of grills that frequent bookstores are usually the ones that immerse in frivolous fantasy to escape from reality, i.e., bluepilled as fuck.

red pill them with your dick

I want a massive collection of both

I have both. About 1,500 physical books, twice as many ebooks. They each have their merits.

Don't be retarded lumber industries in the United States are extremely responsible. It's within their best interest to replenish their product.

I do this with books and I've done it with video games as well. I've bought basically everything I torrented when I was younger.

I haven't bought any anime though because spending $70 on 6 episodes is fucking retarded and its completely the anime industries fault that no one buys their shit.

With printed books,
• You can buy one with cash, anonymously.
• Then you own it.
• You are not required to sign a license that restricts your use of it.
• The format is known, and no proprietary technology is needed to read the book.
• You have the right to give, lend or sell the book to another.
• You can, physically, copy the book, and it's sometimes lawful under copyright.
• Nobody has the power to remotely destroy your book.

The ebook companies say these restrictions and assaults are necessary to pay authors. The current
copyright system supports those companies handsomely, and most authors badly. We can support
authors better in other ways that don't entail curtailing our freedom, and even legalize sharing.

I like phyical books because they absorb the sweat from my hands.

I love to use them both. I can carry my reader everywhere with me, but at home I prefer my books.

>buying
>ebooks

I steal all of my books, both physical and ebooks

Holy fucking shit dude.

This better be pasta.

If it's not it fucking is now.