What are we even doing? Are the arts dead?

What are we even doing? Are the arts dead?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contemporary_art#2000s
vatican.va/various/basiliche/san_paolo/vr_tour/Media/VR/St_Paul_Courtyard/index.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

for u

Everything is dead. Dead is everything. Dead is alive. Everything is alive.

post sincerity, friend. the new world will come and define itself by the emotions it can elicit and the morals it can shape and define, just as the jutting iceberg of garbage cracks the sky, so too will a man take a piece and craft it in his image. This man will be one with a heart, one with innocence, one with a soul. Do not weep for arts long dead, but rejoice for the arts to come, my friend.

SOMEonefucking kill facebook its all its fault. facebook killed everything.

fuck sake shut up

no, i mean if you arent shitting into a cup in the atrium of the tate gallery how else will i understand the plight of the quinoa industry?

Postmodernism is the art of a world with no values or morals. It was good for a time, but it's been at the point of diminishing returns for decades. People express ugliness because that is what they see, they satirize because there is nothing left to believe in.

In the moral vacuum, the Ubermensch will come and invent some. We're in an artistic dark age right now.

holy...I want more

>beauty
>morals
>truth
fucking faggot

They feel pretty dead to me. I've been trying to figure out if perhaps I've just missed something for quite some time now. I haven't found anything of value in the contemporary arts scene.

this is a literature board but I'm going to pontificate on something completely unrelated

People will tell you to look harder but they're stupid. The contemporary lit scene is just shit. If you look really hard you might find a book that you sorta-kinda like, but there's nothing truly great going on. We're entering a second Dark Age.

i dunno, i feel like i expressed it as best i could in the moment. i've felt that there will come a time when our generation will retire the senseless deconstruction of our emotions and philosophies, and reclaim the essence of art as a form of innocence. without the overt processes of analysis, we could edge closer to a naive creativity, it is somehow more ironic to think that with all the tools of creation we have, we have no one willing to test them in their fullest capacity, to explore them. these tools will be taken up by the sincere man. It's essentially what DFW was trying to convey, he wrote that novel, IJ, to make it perfectly clear that the age was empty of anything but catharsis in entertainment, and callously picking apart every facet of any given idea. Just think of the implications of the rediscovery of impressionism as a form, the denial of hyperrealism and the soullessness of modernity. I dunno man, don't listen to me, I just have hope someone will come along and just write something, and the massive complex of modernity won't be able to resist its conclusive power of shutting the vault door on the overripe age of post-modernity.

>For me, the last few years of the postmodern era have seemed a bit like the way you feel when you're in high school and your parents go on a trip, and you throw a party. You get all your friends over and throw this wild disgusting fabulous party. For a while it's great, free and freeing, parental authority gone and overthrown, a cat's-away-let's-play Dionysian revel. But then time passes and the party gets louder and louder, and you run out of drugs, and nobody's got any money for more drugs, and things get broken and spilled, and there's cigarette burn on the couch, and you're the host and it's your house too, and you gradually start wishing your parents would come back and restore some fucking order in your house. It's not a perfect analogy, but the sense I get of my generation of writers and intellectuals or whatever is that it's 3:00 A.M. and the couch has several burn-holes and somebody's thrown up in the umbrella stand and we're wishing the revel would end. The postmodern founders' patricidal work was great, but patricide produces orphans, and no amount of revelry can make up for the fact that writers my age have been literary orphans throughout our formative years. We're kind of wishing some parents would come back. And of course we're uneasy about the fact that we wish they'd come back--I mean, what's wrong with us? Are we total pussies? Is there something about authority and limits we actually need? And then the uneasiest feeling of all, as we start gradually to realize that parents in fact aren't ever coming back--which means we're going to have to be the parents.

What do you want? How much more representational art can we have, if that's what you're aiming it? We had hundreds of years of it. Understandable that artists would move away from it.

i guess that works too, probably far more sensible than what I said.

Back to the Feudal system where most of the population is picking berries and are mostly illiterate.

Now get back to planting those potatoes serf!
*whips you*

Artists can represent new things. Embody and express new ideas, like they always have. There is no shortage of new things you can do in art. This ironic, deconstructive approach is cancerous, but inevitable in this world. All of our values have been destroyed, and it's up to us to invent new values.

Away from it to what though? There's nothing there. Feels like we're collectively waiting for something, anything new to happen.

>The chair of judges, Tate Britain director Alex Farquharson, said Marten, who is based in London, was making work which had real longevity and was using objects, forms and images in a similar way to a poet using language.

>“The judges were impressed by the complexity of the work, its amazing formal qualities, its disparate materials and techniques and also how it relates to the world ... how it often suggests meaning, but those meanings are all in flux somehow. One image, one form becomes another.”

They got in a room together to try and convince themselves that they liked one of the submissions and that's the best they could come up with.

and i'll say this, I don't like IJ, i don't like Wallace in general, but that doesn't mean some of what he said was valid. it's hard to call out post-modernity without shitting on everyone and them loving it. I feel like you probably have to eschew the entire community of art and avoid fame, write for yourself, write alone and keep it til your death. something with the possibility of becoming a 'cult classic'. something people are unashamedly fond of, and aren't willing to criticize it or analyze it into oblivion. just a sincere enjoyment of whatever it is.

I don't think that today's world calls for the same represenational approaches that the world called for in the 19th century. The mode of representation, after all, heavily impacts the thing itself.

I also disagree that our values have gotten destroyed. All the values are still there, we're just not sure that they're ones.

Abstract postmodern art like this is a one-trick pony. Duchamp already finished that shit with the urinal. All other postmodern art since has been a cheap imitation. Conceptual art is focused on concepts, and pure concepts get stale very quickly.

I don't see a problem with their explanation, or with nothing being there. So what if there's nothing there? A lot of things that we thought had value and meaning ended up empty. The problem is you want something to be there, when the nothing might be the "there" itself.

someone has cornered the market on counterfeit values, eh?

>justifying bullshit hanging on a wall with word games
yadda yadda what if something is nothing and nothing is something what even is art blah blah

We've heard it all before.

So what are you complaining about if you've heard it all before? Where's your better alternative?

My better alternative? Honestly, I'm betting on tensions in Europe and the US erupting into revolutions. Social change always brings artistic change.

Art is alive and well. But artists are a thing of the past, as their work is now like anybody else's.

I get more aesthetic pleasure from good greentexts, copypastas, and memes than any of this postmodern bullshit tbqh

how can there be art without artists

You tell me, Pablo.

Well, I actually am one of those people who would probably tell you to keep looking.

I mean, someone who lives in the Ukraine might complain that architecture is dead but they may change their tune if they went to say, the Netherlands perhaps.

Humanity gets wiped out and all that's left is art.

I don't know what sort of art that would produce. But who knows. I'm betting on there being no revolutions whatsoever. All this garbage about refugees and social divisions is just a flavor-of-the-year panic.

there is no longer such thing as ukraine or netherlands. everything is facebook.

>everything is fine as long as I'm comfortable!
The docile, the passive, and the weak are going to be the downfall of Western society. Those who just want a nice, boring life. The Last Man.

Wow, deep observation, man.

It's sort of true though. Every country is either America, countries that try desperately to imitate America, or "the third world".

Try actually travelling for once lol.

>he says on Veeky Forums
There will be no downfall. Life and the global economy will chug on.

t. the Roman Empire

travel, but if you are interested in art, don't be a tourist

Art is monopolized by coastal degenerates and is accordingly abysmal

travelling is another thing that no longer is truly possible. google streetview ended it.

You have a Veeky Forums-tinted view of the world, it seems.

>Americanization isn't a thing
wew. Have you actually traveled or did you just go to the big "cultural" touristy sites?

That's not what travelling is, user.

t. guy who draws vague analogies between drastically dissimilar time periods

t. deluded man who thinks that the world will literally stay the same forever and that the West will never fall

t. paranoid guy who misrepresents and nonsensically exaggerates my position

travelling has become escapism, there is no mystery to it anymore

hey fellers, shall we have a beer and call it quits?

>There will be no downfall. Life and the global economy will chug on.

I get your drift but computer addiction is not the be-all and end-all of experience, friend.

Yeah, fine, I see. I wasn't trying to imply that this was a perpetual state, just that current issues aren't enough to do it in the near future.

You start with profound idealization of the world, realize it to it's bits, and when then you're left with degenerate thought, you turn to beauty again. It's not a personal journey, It all goes in vast circles of time. Realism, Romanticism and Arbitrary. We're in the later now, and it is at it's end. But it'll only go away in a storm. They all go out like that, and they don't leave much behind. It's just a true and profound shame, that they all are a violent ones.

wtf i hate postmodernism now

>HUR DUR I SIT ON THE INTERNET ALL DAY IN MY BEDROOM ON Veeky Forums, W-WHY IS ART DEAD?

fixed that for you

Look at that fucking degenerate, lol. The problem is simply the type of person who engage in art.

Don't be like that, there's a rare chance for civil discussion here.

Are you saying that we all have the potential to be great artists if we tried?

recall, if you will, the soft place one has for people like mr. rogers and bob ross. the reason these people are so endearing is because of their willingness to teach, their sincerity, their emotional ties with who they meet. they are willing to embrace and cultivate innocent exploration, and do not muddy the waters with overt analysis. it's fairly clear that the form and method of art becomes the art itself, and doing so it sanitizes the soul and emotion and sincerity. without these things, the empty building has no foundation, no coziness to call one's home. in the end, love is art, it is the passionate embrace, the outpouring of the mind and emotion that ties us as humans, and when the art lacks this, it ceases to be what is human and becomes inert, and for example in this photo, quite literally a few articles of trash and furniture. without morality, love, the soul, nothing will come from us, though we seek desperately to create. initiate yourself with innocence, purify yourself and seek passion, without that, you will be dissatisfied, and you will never have a chance to create art of your own, to show these empties what you're made of.

just for chrissakes, don't be afraid to feel goddammit.

Every generation has pushed this meme that art is dead. The Nazis capitalised on it in an age of Picasso and Matisse.

It's all about just looking or making friends with higher-ups who can invite you to art shows.

Or moving to a more relevant city.

>art isn't dead lmao it's just that you don't live in trendy areas with bullshit pomo artists
Nobody thought art was dead in the modernist era. Everybody who was paying attention knew that new shit was happening.

>lives in an age of unlimited information, books and cinema for free
>actually asks this quesiton

>Nobody thought art was dead in the modernist era. Everybody who was paying attention knew that new shit was happening.

That's exactly my point, retard.

Thanks for making it for me. ;)

And where did I say post-modern? Lol, get a life, loser.

>implying just anybody can be an artist
>what is talent
>what is intelligence
Honestly, unless you are very disciplined, the unlimited information on the internet just serves as a distraction.

fuck you

Never understood this ridiculous idea peopke have that analysis defeats emotion. It only informs it. Frames it. Lends it structure. Emotion always fuels analysis and it takes both to make art.

Thanks for admitting it's actually your fault and you are the one who is weak.

Last man!

>it's alive, believe me!
I love how people say this without naming any contemporary artists they like. Tell me, where is this great art?

Truth hurts, don't it ;)?

I never implied that I was weak.

Yes, you did.

Only a Last man and a weak individual can be distracted and not follow his will!

Very true.

I am more into architecture, I like people like andersson wise, cecil balmond and frank harmon.

But keep pushing the meme that there isn't any good art out there!

You basement dwelling loser!

>architecture
top kek

Also, you sound very hysterical and unintelligent. Are you a woman by any chance?

Nice reply, idiot.

Better luck next time.

I looked them up. I truly am moved by those squarish, metallic, modern houses. Very original. Good shit famalam

Keep replying, I enjoy watching your world crumble.

;)

Squarish metallic modern houses are pretty good retardt!

>he thinks my world is crumbling because some teen girl from tumblr shared her favorite hack architects
>she couldn't even name any good contemporary poets, painters, or novelists
>just fucking architecture
>which is barely even an art
You're kinda proving my point here babe

Nice try, little man.

Think calling me a woman is going to make you more intelligent?

>le big alpha male

Lol, nice cartoon frog. Come back to me when you reach twenty.

what am i looking at here?

Learn how to do a Google search.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contemporary_art#2000s

>Nice try, little man.
I'm 6'2''
>Think calling me a woman is going to make you more intelligent?
Just more accurate.
>Lol, nice cartoon frog. Come back to me when you reach twenty.
Frogs are an integral part of Veeky Forums culture.

Learn how to do a Google search, buddy.

>the new art movements of the 2000s is just pomo garbage
>what if i took two styles and put them together lmao
It's the same shit.

The Turner Prize winner with one of her installations.

I think I see a willy in there but I see willies everywhere.

Your original complaint was that nothing new was happening and you asked people to name contemporary artists.

Someone gave a couple of examples and you rejected the answer on the basis that you don't like them. That's fine, except that isn't what you asked for.

Whether you actually like it or not doesn't matter, that's an entirely different point and entirely subjective. There will always be a group of people in a particular time period who don't like the contemporary works.

tobequitehonestandobjective modern architecture is in vast instances completely and utterly out of touch with it's environments, sun angle, natural light and is subsequently outdated as soon as it's built.

That example there posted is prime example of all that. It looks good only in photoshoped environment.

Implying that building fits those palm trees.

and here, gentlemen, is why art may indeed be dead, the merciless criticism and soulless analysis of each other, for absolutely no other reason than "the argument itself". at this point, the argument has lost meaning, going from a minor disagreement on europe and spiraling into a dick waving contest about tumblr and architecture being a valid art form. no passion, cold, sneering irony and sarcasm that empties any opportunity for concession or even, -gasp- reconciliation and furtherance towards a cause. just a god damned waste of time.

Cringe.

>memes arent postmodern

yes, you should cringe. you're so cynical you can't see honesty right in front of you.

We are fucking far past any singular idea of art. No one understands this shit anymore. Art historians can't wrap their heads around modern culture just like psychlogists still don't understand why we are so infatuated by videos on the internet that don't have any entertainment value. Whatever the fuck we made up to rationalize "the human experience" has no bearing in the modern world. We have transcended culture anons. Now we are in a brave new world, the world of memes.

Art isn't dead.

You are posting in a board full of teenagers who pretend to read books.

Don't assume the bad arguments from the people here represent the world as a whole.

>underapriciating intricate designs of Roman arhitecture

vatican.va/various/basiliche/san_paolo/vr_tour/Media/VR/St_Paul_Courtyard/index.html

Palm trees are vital. They repeat in the entrance and then again in apse mosaic.