Don Delillo general

>where can I find Mao I?

gr8 meme there, son

so far from what ive read:

underworld > white noise ~ end zone > libra

I felt the same about Libra, although most everyone here seems to get a stiffy whenever it's mentioned. Just seemed like an above-average political-intrigue thriller, with Dilollop's standardly excellent prose and one or two stand-out moments (namely, when Lee is laying on his handler's couch and the handler dry-humps him). Underworld is up next.

*huff huff*

sorry i'm out of breath user

this was the best i could do on short notice

hope this helps

i think what i like the most about delillo is the vaguely intellectual way his characters talk. there are maybe 3 different archetypes he uses for characters, which i suppose is a sign of bad writing, but i love his dialog. its like having a conversation with a smart friend whos really passionate about something you never really thought about.

heh, I kekked.

i do a lot of my reading at a coffee shop by my house and i have the edition of mao ii with the cover printed upside down; i'm afraid people will think i'm retarded for reading a book upside down so i haven't read it yet

what do i do?

my professor is teaching Libra for his class next semester.

What are some good essays on Libra? I like to read essays along with the fiction for some guiding lines of thought

Whoa is that a rare misprint worth tons of money, then? You should be proud to read it in a coffee shop.

>not reading the letters upside-down

I was going to get something by DeLillo as my brother's Christmas present since he likes McCarthy and Pynchon. Do you think that would work? And what novel would you recommend?

ǝɔɐld ʇsɹiɟ ǝɥʇ ui ʇɐɥʇ ɟo ʞuiɥʇ ʇ,upip i ʎɥʍ ʍouʞ ʇ,uop i 'ʞɔnɟ

white noise and libra are good starting places with delillo

White Noise is a shit book

Underworld left me wanting in a couple very significant ways but overall it was very good. The prologue alone is worth the price of admission.

hello rėddit

>a couple very significant ways
Care to elaborate? I've still got a bit of research to do before diving in, and it's nice to hear from Veeky Forums about pitfalls in advance. Also, for context, what other Delillo books have you read?

For you.

A Big™ Toxic Airborne Event

Not him. But why is it a Reddit opinion?

I was thinking of buying it.

I bought White Noise a couple of days ago, l'm now just waiting for it to arrive.

What am l in for?

Very funny situations with characters who can't stop thinking about death. Ridiculous portraits of academia. Ironic events.

Post modernist apocalyptic narative with insight.

I don't browse reddit and the book is just objectively garbage. The dialogues are tedious, the style is sparse and monotonic, there are few neat philosophical aspects to some characters' motivations, but overall it's just mediocre literature. inb4 "b-but the addiction to media, the peak of paranoid america dude lmao" - there were far better literary investigations of this matter before this book. Before you dondedildo faggots fuck me in the ass, I must say that Underworld is one of my favourite books, but WN is just an overrated book.

You're objectively retarded, my friend.

Fucking hell I kek'd

not an argument

How could I argue what I replied to when there was nothing to go on?

Underrated

> he thinks the book is about consumerism and not societies of control
> he hates the characters dialogue because it hits too close to home, and he still has an emotional Emma Bovary-like attachment to characters

lol I bet you think Kafka's The Trial is about " the meaninglessness of the universe, man"

>thinks the book is about societies of control
>implying it isn't a series of meditations on mortality and the limited capacity to do things in that lifespan

I was underwhelmed by it but isn't too far off, he makes it sound a bit more interesting than it actually is.

I just ordered White Noise, should I read Underworld first?

I've read two books by DeLillo now and I don't see the hype behind it. White Noise and Libra were the books. It seems like he has interesting ideas and has something he wants to say but is bogged down by terrible prose and characters that want to be interesting or relatable but aren't. Am I missing something? If so, please explain.

I didn't like White Noise at all, is Underworld that much better?

you just threw a pile of assumptions about me, missing every shot. got it more right, however, the book is still shit like said.

was meant to be a response to

i want to read End Zone but im afraid people will think im just reading a standard sports novel.

>terrible prose
>Delillo

Choose literally only one of the above and never mention the two in the same breath again.

Why do you care what people think?

Who here has read Ratner's Star? The Double-D himself says it's his favorite, but it doesn't get memed like the White Noise -> Underworld 4-parter.

I see you conveniently omitted the explanation or evidence I asked for.

Has anyone read Zero K? I didn't really like it,to me it felt unfulfilled. To compare, the other works I've read of his are White Noise, Underworld and Mao II, the last of which is probably his favourite of mine.

Waiting for the paperback tee bee h.

I just finished End Zone. It feels like the most Veeky Forums book I've read by a major author. It's definitely with my favorite books and I think it's more uneven than Mao II but I feel like I like it more. I've never been sporty. The (American) football game made not too much sense and it felt like I was watching a game that I normally feel disinterested in so I felt he did a good job. I have a feeling people who've played/know (American) football might be confused by that chapter as well.

Show them what Buddy Shock says on ch. 12 paragraph three or the protag's thoughts on ch. 18 para about 27, 28. Or if no one actually gives a fuck as is expected, look at these sections to comfort yourself.