Tfw math and econ double major

>tfw math and econ double major
>tfw want to get a grad degree in economics
>gonna get an F in a 4000 course for math
How fucked am I

Why is upper level mathematics so abstract? how bad will this affect my grad school admissions?

break your legs with a baseball bat, show up to lecture in a wheelchair covered in tape. Ask if you can take the test later. Hire a tutor and force all the information into your brain in the span of one week.
Good luck!

What course?

If it's analysis, kys. You're not cut out for economics.

or don't break your legs but pretend that you did

if your school has grade forgiveness then retake the course next semester

>majors in math
>doesn't like abstraction
major in applied math or some shit while it's not too late.

Abstract Algebra I which is level 4000 teaching Group, Field, and Ring theory

Class grade is 100% tests with no curve and the grader is not too nice (had her for an earlier class) as well as the book being shit tier for preparing for the tests (literally no explanation or even answers for the complicated problems, which is what appears on tests)
they do but I dont want to attend grad school here, so im wondering if im doomed to shit tier grad schools
I actually like it and im doing fine in my other classes, im just trash in Abstract Algebra I ;-;

>Class grade is 100% tests

Wtf? There's no homework? What Draconian school do you go to?

homework grades are bullshit anyway

I mean I guess you really can't assign homework in Abstract Algebra since its just proofs, most higher level math classes are like this anyway

my biggest problem is that there's no instructor provided hand holding notes to use outside of class, and the book doesn't give thorough answers for the simple questions nor does it give a proof for the complicated questions. The grader is also tough one. Hence the F.

but anons am I cucked out of a good grad program in Economics?

honestly you are either a brainlet or your uni is shitty therefore in this case you are also a brainlet

I feel for the commute to your local university meme

but user have I been cucked?

Homework is where learning happens. Not everything is about grades.

>I mean I guess you really can't assign homework in Abstract Algebra since its just proofs, most higher level math classes are like this anyway

That's exactly what my grad school classes did though. It makes you practice using the definitions and basic theorems, which makes learning and understanding them easier.

There are plenty of purely computational questions they can ask you in abstract algebra anyway.

>my biggest problem is that there's no instructor provided hand holding notes to use outside of class

Take better notes, ask questions if you don't understand something.

Study with some of your classmates too. It helps to have someone else to bounce ideas off of. They also might have a nice way of thinking about something that you would have never thought of before.

I guess I should've went to a better university if I wanted to major in "Arts"

I mean its too late now lol

Im just on damage control now as there's almost no way to get a C, there's a distinct possibility of a D there's also a distinct possibility of an F

im just wondering if anyone here can tell me how far up shit creek I am?

Not gonna lie if you were aiming for a top program you are pretty fucked OP. But I kind of feel if you had any chance at all of getting into a top program you wouldn't be getting an F in algebra.

You will still be fine getting into a grad program, though, and it's not like STEM subjects, an econ PhD from a low tier state school will still get you a six figure corporate job if you work for it. It's econ, not math, grad level econ classes are about as hard as 4000 level math classes and they'll understand it's not your main interest.

Yeah, it looks bad and you should retake it if at all possible (also don't you need to pass algebra for your math major.....?) and it will negatively affect your graduate admissions but it's not a total gamebreaker.

You fucked up.

exactly

I shouldn't have to do homework for a grade

the tests tell the story

here's an example
>book introduces a new mapping in quotient groups
>"The mapping η is clearly well defined and onto."
thx book
>you wouldn't be getting an F in algebra.
>
ebin
>(also don't you need to pass algebra for your math major.....?)
its a different kind of algebra than they teach in boom boom 12th grade

its basically a class on group, ring, and field theory so they require it for a math major
>You fucked up.
;-;
>You will still be fine getting into a grad program, though, and it's not like STEM subjects, an econ PhD from a low tier state school will still get you a six figure corporate job if you work for it. It's econ, not math, grad level econ classes are about as hard as 4000 level math classes and they'll understand it's not your main interest.
I want to work in Academica, free lancer, or comfy think tank-esque job not as a wage slave sucking corporate cock with 70hr work weeks (finance is great for that)

At least I still have a chance, the good thing is economics is brainlet tier because of the fact they expect people bad in math to take it, so I have only A's in Econ related classes

will the top econ programs care that much about the math major when most ph.d applicants probably don't major in math?

>will the top econ programs care that much about the math major when most ph.d applicants probably don't major in math?
That really isn't true though.

Undergrad economics is brainlet tier but at the grad level the classes are legit, the theory classes have a lot of actual proofs...they are based around made up formulas and aren't really the same as math proofs but they're there.

Most serious econ students understand this, undergrad econ is a business degree for people who can do math, graduate econ is basically an entirely different subject that requires a math background, most competitive candidates for top programs either double major with math or statistics or something, or attended a top-tier program that is highly quantitative for undergrad.

FUCK

thank g*d Im only a freshman and read this before its too late to take my math major seriously
>the theory classes have a lot of actual proofs...they are based around made up formulas and aren't really the same as math proofs but they're there.
>graduate econ is basically an entirely different subject that requires a math background
I thought so, its why I havn't dropped my math major into a minor or just altogether dropped it.

did you major in Econ for grad school?

is it that hard to check out the graduate courses and see for yourself instead of relying on strangers that you have met on a mongolian horse-riding website?

because im actually worrying about the fact im fucked with an F in abstract """""""algebra"""""" and I know the mongolians here are in grad school or work with admissions

>here's an example
>>book introduces a new mapping in quotient groups
>>"The mapping η is clearly well defined and onto."
>thx book

but it really IS clear. and this expression doesn't mean that you have to immediately understand it like you're reading newspapers, but that you should be able to convince yourself it's true by writing your own short proof if necessary. having everything served on a silver plate is counterproductive

Oh well if you're a freshman failing a 4000 level class isn't that bad, it's like if you probably should have known you couldn't handle it but understandable. Take it again later and pass and you'll be fine.

I did financial mathematics, so first year was a mix of math, econ and finance classes, grad level econ is a whole different thing from undergrad, it's a lot harder and more rigorous, less interesting but, also less bullshit. But still on a whole different level from grad level math, measure theory, what the fuck. I couldn't handle the math PhD qualifiers, if I did get one it'd prob be in econ.