Terraforming Mars

How long would it realistically take to terraform Mars?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=WjNssEVlB6M
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

define "Mars"

what?

With current tech roughly 20 days longer than forever.

How long it would take with future tech depends on what you think the tech will be when you try it.

Let's say the candy bar.

what could some future tech be?

Step 1
Get a really big magnet to rub against Mars, to activate its magnetic field.

Hundreds of years to hundreds of thousands of years, there's really no way to know until we try.

If you understand the processes involves you'll know that it will take centuries to reach the level that earth is currently at, if it could even ever reach that

>frozen core
>no magnetic field
>good luck desu senpai

>not areoforming Earth so you can terraform it back and then going to Mars to easily terraform that with the knowledge learned

Plebs, all of you.

nah, Lets just build some domes on it.

>implying civilization isn't on the brink of total collapse to hoards of third world sub-humans

I have an idea for a sci-fi story, but it would require a terraformed Mars. Just trying to see how long that would take.

300,000 years

100,000 years for bombardment of Mars using comets, moons, and asteroids, until there's enough mass and energy to churn up the core, increase gravity to at least 0.75g and increase the effectiveness of the magnetosphere. The last 1/3 of this will be water ice comets/asteroids/moons.

100,000 years for stabilization of the surface and de-orbit of all space debris caused by the bombardments.

100,000 years for a rudimentary ecosystem to be installed to the point where a breathable atmosphere won't kill humans.

Just drill some nukes into the core to restart it senpai

How many nukes do you think it would take to do that?

well it's more about the size than the number, isn't it?

>specifically asked how many
>tries to dodge the question
>typical nucleartard

This is why solar power is better than nuclear.

This.

Plaster all of Mars with solar panels then hook them up to the core so it acts like a giant resister to create heat.

68 days

fun fact, not actually guy that suggested nuking the core. Just felt like making a joke.

Current tech: near impossible
Future tech: 1-20 million years.

got a century or ten to spare?

it depends if that super conducting magnetic field satellite works and can be kept on indefinitely. then how much energy you want to spend redirecting comets and icy asteroids into Mars.

Exactly 6 days, with 1 day to rest

>then hook them up to the core
How? This is potentially harder than exploring other solar systems for habitable planets.

>tfw autistic people make the internet harder than it should be

see
for same type of answer

see your post for same thing

samefag

It is impossible; with the technology we have it would be much more realistic to just encase it in a plastic container.

L1 is a really unstable point, I don't like it.

If you had the creation of a proper space-based economy, with humans moving out and building living spaces and mining resources in space,it might wind up being a project at some point. But it's vastly easier to simply adapt to living on mars as it is-it has the raw materials we need, supplies of water and abundant CO2 in its atmosphere and polar regions, solar and perhaps nuclear power are doable there, we simply need to build in a fashion that shields us from radiation and the low pressure and deal with potential issues of the lower gravity. Mars is going to be a place where we get ourselves ready to spread across this solar system,and someday, to the ones next to us. I'm more interested in people building rotating space habitats and mining asteroids than I am in mars colonization, but it's still a pretty impressive feat to see so many people studying with renewed intensity.

Terraforming mars is more of a fun pipe dream-it's so distant in the future that it's not worth thinking about too much. Musk clearly uses it to get people pumped for his colonization gambit, but I doubt he has any concrete plans to start doing it within his lifetime, or any of ours.

It's interesting OP, but not important. It's much easier to simply adapt ourselves to mars, not the other way around.

Well I have an idea for a story, but it would ideally be on a Mars that has forests and all that stuff we have on Earth.

Fine, just set it in the distant future and you're good.

well that's just it, define distant.

At least 500 years from now. But honestly a few thousand is better.

also, have there been any real studies done that would show where lakes/oceans would form on Mars?

You can figure that out pretty easily using an elevation map

And you can see where SpaceX is going to land, right in that canyon on the leftish middle

Based on this I'm gonna assume even terraformed Mars would only be as inviting as central Asia.

I wonder how much water there is on Mars though? If it was all liquid how much would it cover, clearly the north and the large crater but would the green areas be submerged?

I have Direct Theories.

Right now we simply do not have the technology.

like I said, I have Theories, but no matter how You look at it or what technology You have, reguardless of country You need to develope technology to transmute Heavy objectives into light objectives and vise versa.

The only way we can colanize another planet is by learning how to turn Metal into Oxygen, How to remove and use Carbon from the table of elements and we do not have any technology on the subject realistically speaking.

Seriously, think about it, so We go to mars, we have to eat and poop, how the hell are we going to water those plants? Honestly go into the itty gritty of it, How are we going to manufacture water to to put into plants so that the full interaction takes place?

Love Russia.

Do you want to kill us? The dome will crack!

There are massive amounts of frozen water

You want to hear something really insane?

Putting a few cows on the moon and studying those farts will bring us that much closer to inhabiting foreign planets.

Laugh all You want, But I kid You not.

Put cows on the moon, study and then take everything You learn to the best and brightest.
Im not joking.

But there is a piece of the puzzle of Purposly left out.

That part costs money.

It'd be more efficient to make a biogas methane digester on Mars and fill it with shit from Earth than to have cows on Mars. Then when colonizes Mars ( ) you have billions of tons of high-nitrogen fertilizer to grow food with.

Have we terraformed deserts and glaciers yet?

No? Then don't even attempt to terraform Mars that is 10000 times more difficult.

You do are aware that living on Antarctica is easier than on Mars? Even if Mars was 100 km away

>b-but we haven't done everything on Earth yet!

This is why you'd lose terribly at any multiplayer RTS.

Stuff like that always bothered me about sci-fi movies/tv shows. In books most of these types of things have redundancies and safeguards. In movies/tv shows it is just one layer for one massive dome that covers literally everything.

terraforming is just a meme, once we got technology to do this we don't need it any more

How powerful an electromagnet it would require?

>implying dynamic stabilization won't be a thing

It'll need to be big, not strong. Earth's a damn weak magnet, but it's retained its atmosphere for a very long time.

Looks like it needs a 8424 mile wide area there in the center for Mars to be covered. That's twice the width of Mars.

>How powerful an electromagnet it would require?

One more powerful than anything humanity will be willing to make. If we could make electromagnets that powerful we'd be using smaller ones to help shield ships and solar-orbiting space stations.

Can you imagine the amount of heat one of those things would create an the amount of cooling you'd need to do to prevent it from melting? The vibrations from eddy currents alone would probably rip something that large and powerful apart.

>Earth's a damn weak magnet

But, it is something like 760 miles in diameter. Unless you have something that size being used, you'll need to make up for it by increasing power to something much smaller.

Fpbp

Why do they say Terra and Luna but not Ares?

Ancient Roman god, originally venerated as the guardian of Rome and a god of agriculture, later identified with the Greek god of war Ares; one of the most important gods in the Roman pantheon.

Because Terra and Luna are both Latin (as well as all other names of the planets except Uranus), and Ares is Greek.

You're asking a bunch of strangers. They might have some ideas, but buddy, you're gonna wanna do your own research.

A hundred years to walk outside with a breather mask.
Five hundred to walk with no breather mask.

I respect the symposium, user, but the very thought is so difficult, outlandish, and unconventional with the current technology the conversation quickly delves into hypotheticals, science fiction, and a lot of serious "if's".

Crashing earth into mars would probably speed up the process.

So you are saying the first step in terraforming mars is for the next one hundred years all first world countries need to be filling rockets with shit and firing it at mars?

I support this plan.

W-why would you want to terraform mars.?

Calvin is hiding in the dirt of mars waiting for glucose

What's the next step of your master plan?

sex dolls with integrated AI, space elevator and fast food that make you thin

define "define"

That's a days work if you aren't amanlet.

t. Actual God/Bog hybrid

Terraform earth first.

Just make a machine that converts regolith into air and water.

>How long would it realistically take to terraform Mars?
Pump ozone into the atmosphere with carbon dioxide at a ration 1/10
Throw some fruit tolerant plants in an area with a very low water source
Wait 10000 years
BOOM EARTH 2

Martian day is 1 day and 40 minutes long.

Thus, it would take 8880 minutes to make and 1480 minutes of rest.

>fruit tolerant plants

nukes wont restart the core dumby. It would take a catastrophic collision like the one that formed earths moon. Or if that isn't feasible with super future tech, if you could move mars into orbit around jupiter the tidal forces could reactivate the core.

It's impossible

Look up magneto sphere, mantle shrinkage and hydrogen escape due to gravity.

These are good reasons why the answer is never

It would take far longer than 100000 yrs to terraform. The basic bacteria to churn out enough o2 would take that amount of time by itself

kek

It wont take long before we form the Earth to the Mars model.

The same amount of time it would take trying to terraform Egypt or Antarctica.

Underrated post

i go with 348 days

> But, it is something like 760 miles in diameter. Unless you have something that size being used, you'll need to make up for it by increasing power to something much smaller.

Why NOT make it big?

If we are at the point of colonizing Mars seriously, asteroid mining is probably a thing. If we can mine asteroids, we have access to more metal than the entirely of human civilization combined.

At that point, making something big is more time consuming than anything else.

like this:

youtube.com/watch?v=WjNssEVlB6M

Its a wandering star. Its not a planet. Space is science fiction. Grow up.

One fake graph later humans think they live on a ball. Good job NASSHOLES

Everything is the opposite of what NASA tells you. Dont be fooled

crashing this planet

Assuming you have control over gravity, take Mars and bring it to Jupiter. Let tidal forces restart that core, then dip Mars into Jupiter for a minute to give Mars an atmosphere of hydrogen.

The hydrogen atmosphere will react with the iron in Mar's crust to produce hydrogen oxide. From there it's a fairly straightforward process to form water (H20) and make oceans. Now you bring Mars closer to the sun again and you're set to make some algae strains in the sea that will photosynthesize with the dissolved salts to fix hydrogen into nitrogen and also produce oxygen.

if you could do that. then you would be better off moving Venus to Mars and putting them together in a Binary system.

I have a much better idea. Why dont we just modify humans to be able to live anywhere?

Then they wouldn't be, "humans." You think there's race problems now? Hooo boy!

It would be difficult, but not impossible to build an artificial magnetic field on a planetary scale.

A few million years.

Why do people still talk about terraforming?

Nobody ever talks about harnessing The Force in their daily lives; nobody sane.

L-lewd!

Which of those mountains on the left is Olympus Mons?