Is it possible to create a false memory?

Is it possible to create a false memory?

Other urls found in this thread:

people.umass.edu/~psyc241/RoedigerMcDermott1995.pdf
youtube.com/watch?v=HNUFcx3MGdM
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Yeah, but first we have to "decode" our brains.

Yes. It's a very popular method used on prisoners in North Korea.

Decode, as in figure out its patterns?

Yes

Soon, Musk just announced Neuralink.

Oh yeah I saw that, not sure how I feel about it. I'm no neurologist, but I feel there is a large margin of error that could be had there.

Sure they're created all the time, it's part of the way the brain remembers. Go read about the work of Elizabeth Loftus.

See Julia Shaw. She's hot af too

Yes, in many ways all your memories are false already. You don't remember things as they happened, you remember a bunch of keywords and when you "remember" an event, your brain is actually reconstructing the event based on those few keywords and a lot of guesstimation.

I'm waiting for WaitButWhy paper, Musk promised one.

This.
OP, basically all of our memories are educated guesses and often they're not accurate at all. Mixing, mashing and completely changing memories is commonplace in everyone.

I remember hearing something about the brain creating false memories. Someone can keep insisting that "you did X at Y with Z" and if they keep suggesting it your brain might start creating false memories on its own. Also when you start to forget old memories your brain just fills in the holes with random bullshit.

bottom right in pic related

people.umass.edu/~psyc241/RoedigerMcDermott1995.pdf

Referring to brainwashing perhaps? If not we should probably look at the definition of a memory

it happens in dreams

No, you can't alter memories. Do you even watch Rick and Morty?

>Implying R&M talks of actual science
Seriously, are you brain-dead?

Anyway, it could be possible to create distorted memories via magnetic interaction with the brain or some form of DBS or implants. We do know that the Amygdala (Self-preservation instinct part of the brain) can be affected via magnets. The picture would be there but it would be shoddy at best, this can lead to false memories emerging at worst if the damage is heavy enough.

These.
youtube.com/watch?v=HNUFcx3MGdM

brainlet detected

Yes, it's been areal issue in several criminal trials, like the one where over-eager interviewers created memories of Satanic rituals and abuse in a bunch of preschool kids.

Not only are your memories only educated guesses as other anons have said, but your current experience is mostly guesswork as well. From what I've heard, rather than taking in information and using that to generate a simulation of its surroundings, your brain instead estimates a simulation of the world and uses sensory information to correct it after the fact. If you've ever glanced at something, say some writing or a number, then looked at it again and it seems to be different that's because your brain filled in the space with what you were expecting to be there, then corrected it once you actually took in what was really there.

Yes but you have to be insane.